Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

2m Transverter ordered , using Ant 2 just for 2m any issues for the 6500

James Kennedy-WU5E
James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭

just order a 2m Transverter for the Transverter store. I want to only use it on Ant 2 of the Flex 6500 for contesting on 2m.  Has anyone has known issues? and how you fixed them.

Jim

WU5E

Answers

• Doug Hall
    Doug Hall Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Jim,
    I'm curious - why would you not use the XVTR port instead of ANT2? The dedicated transverter port is much better suited (drive-wise) for interfacing to the transverter unless you have the optional attenuator from the Transverter Store. But with the Flex you don't need it.
    Doug K4DSP

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    It should work okay with a combined RX/TX setup, as long as you watch the power VERY closely. One burst at full power and that's that. For basic CW and SSB work, the frequency stability is passable - don't expect wonders on digital/weak signal stuff. PS Flex - any way to permit different max power levels on ANT1 and 2?
  • James Kennedy-WU5E
    James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    thanks for the Reply Doug, I order the 2m assembled with the attenuator broad also, I do have the Antenna Geniuses 8x1 so I don't make antenna mistake I want to use the Transverter port. I watch your video, I have blown up a few times in Iraq and Afghan and have memory issues. I just ordered and have a few days to figure everything out.  thanks for your reply- jim
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2017
    PS Flex - any way to permit different max power levels on ANT1 and 2?

Nope.  There is a global max power setting where the minimum is 1W which may be too much for most transverters.  We highly recommend using the XVTR port.
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Then anyway to provide max power levels on the XVTR port?  It is kind of heart stopping to have the DEMI 2MLDPA drive the 8877 2M amp with 75 watts because the power slider showhow accidentally got changed to 100%.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2017
    No.  If this is a concern, I recommend using a pad to attenuate the power output to the appropriate level when the slider is set for 100.
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    That is what I ended up doing but would have preferred a software solution.  For those that might have need it required a 9db pad to limit the Flex XVTR output so that the DEMI output was 35-40 watts when the slider is at 100%.  Earlier the 35-40 watts output was achieved with a slider setting of 50%.
  • Doug Hall
    Doug Hall Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I may be misunderstanding, but isn't this what the Max Power box in the XVTR setup is for? From the SSDR manual:

"Max Power (dBm): Enter the IF input power level to the transverter to achieve maximum output power of the transverter. This will limit the output power that SmartSDR allows to be provided to the transverter. This value may be up to +15dBm for IF frequencies below 80MHz and up to +8dBm for IF frequencies above 135MHz (default: 0dBm). The value set in this field, should match the power output when the RF Power slider is set to 100. The lower end (values near 1 on the RF Power slider) will be approximately 20dB lower than the Max Power setting."

Or are you saying that even with the Max Power set to its lowest setting in the XVTR setup you still had to add a 9 dB pad?

• John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Doug, in my specific case I am asking about a Flex 6700 operating on 144 MHz driving a intermediate amp.  Since the 6700 supports 144 Mhz without the need for a transverter there is no transverter setup and hence no ability to limit the XVTR port output power.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I wonder if 2m will be added to the AutoDrive tab for those of us using DDutil still.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.