2M Transverter advice

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I've read several old threads about transporters for the Flex but did't quite find what I was looking for. Is anyone aware of a 2 meter transporter that covers the entire 144-148mhz? I looked at the Elecraft but they are 144-146 only.

I'm interested in using my Flex 6500 on the local 2meter DStar system with the new USB device in the Flex and as you might have guessed I am a transporter newbie.
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 677 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Doug Hall

Doug Hall

• 214 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
Jon,

The Elecraft 2m transverter will work above 146 MHz, albeit at reduced power output. I believe I saw a graph showing 20 watts out on 144-146 MHz, dropping to about 15 watts at 148 MHz. So the Elecraft transverter may suffice for your needs.

A number of 2m transverters will work above 146 MHz, but they are often not advertised as doing so because 1) it requires an input signal above 30 MHz, which some HF rigs cannot provide, and 2) receive and transmit specifications may not be met above 146 MHz.

The cheap 2m transverter I bought from UT5JCW is like this - the output power drops off above 146 MHz, but it's good enough for the few times I need to monitor or work through a local repeater.

Doug K4DSP
Photo of Chuck - KJ6HT

Chuck - KJ6HT

• 49 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

Jon,

I was interested in using the Down East Microwave L144-28 transverter for MARS operations in the 148-150 Mhz range. I emailed them to see if it was possible, below was their response:

We originally designed the L144-28 to be optimized for use between 144 and 146 Mhz. We can and have offered to offset tune the band pass filters to cover the complete 2 M band.
We believe that with a custom filter we can accommodate your request for the MARS frequencies. BUT-- it may require some compromise in performance at the weak signal portion of the band (144 MHz)
If this is acceptable, when ordering  please specify this and the upper most frequency of operation expected. There may be a slight additional charge  for the specialty filter(s) required. An estimate may be around $30 in addition to the listed price on the website.
And for clarification,  28 Mhz will equal 144 Mhz, 34 Mhz will equal 150 Mhz  

They did not indicate that power output would be affected. It may be worth a call or another email to DEM for clarification. I wound up not using their product so I can not confirm the performance of their transverter.

73'

Chuck - KJ6HT