Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

220v Power conditioning / UPS

WC6Y
WC6Y Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Power Genius XL Amplifier
For those who have a PGXL at 220v, do you use and what do you recommend, for surge protection and/or UPS?

Thanks,
Ken WC6Y

Answers

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I use a whole home surge protector. Your power company can assist with the installation. 73 Mack W4AX Alpha Team
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The Square D units that fit in a 1/2" whole is a Electrical box work very well, I don't use a UPS here on the AMP because the Peak Amperage draw is so high and to high for a lot of UPS's that are small enough to fit in the Shack and I REALLY don't like running the Modified sign wave inverters in most UPS's on my HAM equipment. 

73's 
    Bret
    WX7Y
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I got one of these off EBay DEXICON LC2KVA (2Kw) but I think You would need one much Higher For the PGXL at Least 4Kw to 5Kw Maybe DEXICON has higher Power Units image
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Whole house the way to go but if you don't have room in the breaker box they make units that fit in a 1)2" knockout and bolt to the main bus via wire. I have that, come to think of it, it's been awhile I'm probably due to replace it. Thanks for the reminder.
  • Warren-K6WKW
    Warren-K6WKW Member
    edited July 2019
    My solution to amp protection is to us a double pole contactor (i.e. relay). I remove power to the amp when I'm not using it and can remotely engage/disengage the contactor. It's not as nice as a surge protector since it doesn't provide protection while I'm using the amp, but the amp is off most of the time so the odds are in my favor, and I could avoid using the amp when electrical storms are predicted. The contactor coil is 110v which I'm controlling with a Sonoff 4 Ch Pro. (I use the other contacts for 6400M remote on/off, and controlling 110V normally on and 110V normally off, so all 4 relays are useful for the shack.)
    Warren - K6WKW

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.