Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

2016 IARU HF Contest

EA4GLI
EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
edited March 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I had a great time with this year's IARU HF Contest.

Conditions were not great. 10m was completely close and very bad propagation on 15m. I had to concentrate on 20m and then try to add multis on 40 and 80m. I just did SSB.
I like this contest, it's manageable family wise, as it started at 8AM EST on Sat and finished 8AM on Sun. I took extended breaks to prepare the BBQ and spend time at the pool with the kids.

I end up using mostly SmartSDR for Windows instead of the Maestro. Not being able to use TNFs on the Maestro make it less usable in a contest environment with plenty of stations on top of each other. I really look forward to being able to use both Maestro and SmartSDR in the near future.

I used N1MM+ with the software voice keyer which worked flawlessly.

I also tried VOX for the first time in this contest and being able to use n1mm+ voice keyer via DAX together with VOX is great on SmartSDR 1.8  Didn't end up with pain in my foot!

Setting up the Voice recording is very easy.
I used my own headset connected to the Flex radio.
I selected Mic Stream in DAX Control Panel and made sure TX Stream was OFF.
With N1MM+ open at the log window I simultaneously click on Ctrl+Shift+F1 (which starts the recording) and click Ctrl+Shift+F1 again to stop. It might take a few tries to get it timed correctly. I do the same thing for the Exchange (F2) and for my callsign alone (F4).
Just make sure you select the right audio device inside N1MM+, then make sure you turn Mic Stream OFF and TX Stream ON on DAX Control Panel.

Bug. I think it has been mentioned elsewhere but Mic level will not work for a microphone connected to the front of the radio when DAX is enable and PTT is activated by VOX.

I hope you guys had a chance to work some stations and enjoy some radio this weekend.

Comments

• Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Salvador. I missed you on the bands, but my Maestro/6700/N1MM+ combination worked flawlessly for 600+ Qs. I did not operate as long as I wanted as I had to take clients to our local rodeo and then we had  storm cell settle over the city for a couple of hours. Conditions were marginal from up here, but improved as the day went on.

The only issue I had was the voicekeyer using N1MM+ "stuttered" a few times. Was able to fix that by giving a higher priority to N1MM in task manager.

IARU is a great summer contest, (but I may be a tad biased)!

Tim VE6SH "AC"
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Geez, I thought I did good with 220 CW QSOs......   I used N1MM+ for the first time since I was introduced to it during Field Day.  IARU is the first contest I've participated in from my own QTH since a RTTY contest I was in using a nearly new model 28 teletype back in the 70s.

N1MM really makes logging simple.  Like others, logging was on the PC while using the Maestro for control.  I use a wireless headset for audio and it was great not having any wires on my desk....  Now all I have to do is work a lot more on my cw skills.  I don't believe in using decoders because at that point it seems it is no longer cw but instead just another digital mode.  So with no decoder, I really struggled with copying call signs the first time sent.  I believe I improved a little bit as the day progressed though but most importantly, I sure had a lot of fun.

Norm - W7CK

• km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Thanks Salvador for the good explanation wrt SSDR and N1MM+ voice keyer. I played with it a little today and like you said flawless. Both recording and playback. Before, I had recorded some wav files differently and every now and then they would stutter when I played them with the N1MM+ function keys. I concluded my computer's performance was being tested. Until, I used the method you described above. Now just like you said, flawless.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.