2015 CQWW CW scores...

• Praise
  • Updated 3 years ago
Well, after 55 years of happy hamming, this is my FIRST ever contest of any kind....

I just got N1MM+ kind of working in SO2R with my 6500, crossed my legs and hoped for the best...  I didn't get started until late Saturday and ran most of Sunday for the 405 contacts...

Flex6500 in SO2R mode, N1MM+, KPA500 & Alpha87A with DDUtil....  Antennas, 2ele 40m at 90'. 3el SteppIR @ 80' and a Coaxial resonant match 80m broad band dipole (covers all of 80m).  No tuners....

All rigs ran flawlessly and only had a very few minor hiccups with all the software.

Be gentle guys, this was my first time....

Regards, Dennis, k0eoo
Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 577 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 959 Posts
  • 337 Reply Likes
I would simply say great job!  I added some contacts for people but didn't have the time to try and score myself.  
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 801 Posts
  • 96 Reply Likes
Dennis good done!
have spend unfortunately only couple of hr`s at Saturday, was a quite good propagation on 40m
Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 577 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
Nice, lots of Q's Sergey....   Yes, 40m was as good as 20m for me and certainly better than 10m was Sunday.
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 801 Posts
  • 96 Reply Likes
Yea, Dennis, i started at Saturday ~10am local time - plenty of US and CAN ham`s was on 40 , after play a bit on 20 then 15 - was so strong Aurora signals sometime  i was not able to copy completely. Well on 40 was both Americas, Caribean, Pacific, Vk`s , but unfortunately just play a ~6hr in total.
Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 577 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
That's a great score for only 6hrs .  I must have put in about 16 hrs total. Sergey, does N1MM tell you how many hrs you put in?
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1010 Posts
  • 365 Reply Likes
K0EOO, Isn't "QSO" an abbreviation, so Q's is an abbreviation of an abbreviation?
Photo of km9r.mike

km9r.mike

• 425 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
SO2R or SO2V with a 6500 ? Not trying to be ungentle but not certain how you did so2r currently with a 6500.
Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 577 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
It works just fine Mike.  The only issue is having to change antennas because of the one SCU unit.  DDUtil changed antennas when I switched Slices/bands.  And, all the Flex's have FDX mode, which I really didn't need.... 
Photo of km9r.mike

km9r.mike

• 425 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
OK I understand
Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 577 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
Mike, with the 6500, if I had connected an RX antenna to the RXA input via a bandpass filter in FDX mode I believe I would have been able to receive while I was transmitting....  I just didn't want that capability this time.
(Edited)
Photo of km9r.mike

km9r.mike

• 425 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC_CJ9bvi30 Prior to fdx , as you know the receive on the non transmitting band would mute during transmission. The end goal is to have the ability to do this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y4KW22VEJw  Audio at time 00:56. Left radio is his cq radio. Right is his S&P radio on a separate band.
(Edited)
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1010 Posts
  • 365 Reply Likes
All hams that make videos without narration, learn from Mike it is not that hard to do it right
Photo of km9r.mike

km9r.mike

• 425 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
Wrt to this aspect of our hobby Burt and how to accomplish it with a flex 6.5 I have zero experience and a lot of learning to do. Unfortunately, I am not even at a location to have the proper antennas to even attempt this configuration. Hopefully that will eventually change. 
Photo of Joe Bales

Joe Bales

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Hi Dennis also my first contest where I actually was using N1MM and keeping my score.  In the past would work new band countries for DXCC purpose in a contest. It really got fun as I got going and had a goal of 100,000 points and 100 contacts then the bug hit me and I kept increasing my goals  I have a Flex 6700 and setup N1MM in the SO2R mode and since this was the first time ever using N1MM or any contest logging software after about 10 contacts I decided to just go the SO1R mode as I was getting too confused.  Maybe after a few more contests using N1MM and I will be ready for SO2R mode.  I don't know what my score below means compared to the masses which really doesn't matter - I can only hope to increase my score next year.  I only did search and pounce after figuring out what Red - Blue or Green meant and what a Mult was and how to use N1MM it started to get real fun.   What a great tool N1MM is and the Flex 6700 is a joy also but I have go to N1MM the most credit as I seldom ever looked at my pan adapter on the Flex.  As far as my working conditions other than the Flex I only have wire antennas up due to Restricted Covenants. Both neighbors to the side and to the back allow me access to trees so I am lucky in that.  Ran 700 watts thru Acom 1010.

I will get my feet even wetter again this weekend with ARRL 160 Contest and N1MM.

K4JKB - Joe

Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 956 Posts
  • 334 Reply Likes
35!?  I clocked a couple of guys at 45+  One was a KH6? and with all those dits at 40+ WPM it sounded more like a machine gun than code.
Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 563 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
Yeah, KH6J, is that what he was doing...
Photo of Asher - K0AU

Asher - K0AU

• 168 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
5H3EE was my favorite call of the contest.  For some reason 6Y45 and BY5 are also hard to tell apart.
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 956 Posts
  • 334 Reply Likes
I don't think I worked him.  But ya that going fast would be a hoot.  I personally find when going fast the guys with the "e" in their calls are difficult.  Xe1ee took me a couple tries to copy.

My call tends to throw people.  It has a swing to it and I get a lot of responses as wh7n.
Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 563 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
Him too, I got him on 20m thanks to the bandmap....
Photo of Asher - K0AU

Asher - K0AU

• 168 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
From the West Coast:  SO1R 6700 + Alpha + 2el 40-10M at 60 feet.

10M was productive to the Caribbean, South America and East Asia.  Never heard EU.  Other bands were solid.  I can run JAs on 15M which helps boost the Q count.

Most unexpected band opening: both days around 2300Z with the antenna pointed to JA I worked a handful of northern EU - OH and SM.  S3 and fluttery signals.

No joy for me with zones 2, 21, 22, 34 and 39.

Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3866 Posts
  • 1176 Reply Likes
Great job, you guys!  Especially Dennis...Very good scores for a rookie!  Whoo Hoo!
I was unable to play this weekend due to holiday gatherings.
Although I handed out a couple of contacts just to get a couple of new countries on the LOTW.  
I may not be able to do the 160 Contest next weekend either.   (Boo Hoo!)

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 801 Posts
  • 96 Reply Likes
Asher , Joe, nice score !
Asher you right  - most unexpected bands opening: ~2pm UTC 40m  - BA, JA  so strong here - but not everyone answering , in the same time VK from the first call
Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 577 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
Very nice score Asher, I see I'll have to put in more time if I want to get my Q's up....  I use to live in the Bay area back in the late 80's and 90's and remember how nice 80 and 40 were into the pacific and how easy it was to work JA's....  NOT so from MN unless you have better antennas than I have.
Photo of Asher - K0AU

Asher - K0AU

• 168 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
My 80M antenna is not getting to JA!  That's the next project since 10M will keep declining.  I'm pretty maxed out for antennas on a 1/3 acre suburban lot.  2 el on 40M is good, but not high enough to make a big noise.
Photo of Charles - K5UA

Charles - K5UA

• 310 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
Good contest in spite of no Eu on 10 meters and no 160m antenna.

K5UA (K5UA + K5EW), Single transmitter, Multi Op.

Flex 6500, OM2500A, 4 ele SteppIR at 75ft, DB-18 SteppIR at 75 ft, quarter-wave sloper for 80M.

80m.....213 qsos
40m.....533 qsos
20m.....523 qsos
15m.....678 qsos
10m.....167 qsos

Total   2115 qsos

Score =  3,544,464 points
Photo of km9r.mike

km9r.mike

• 425 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
Nice
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 641 Reply Likes
I really hate to admit this but to me T E S T sounds an awful lot like NV or THT or T4

Charles, that is outstanding... Over 3.5 million point!

When I was a VE there was this kid I administered the test to, and subsequently worked a field day with. As I recall he was a late teen and he could smoke cw at about 45 wpm sustained. The problem was he would do that just to intimidate people...by his own admission. Hopefully he grew beyond that, as I was unsuccessful pointing out sending code deliberately faster than the other side can copy is counter productive. What's that saying about never try to teach a pig to sing? Wastes you time and irritates the pig.
Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 577 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
All I can say Charles, is Impressive... How are you using the two SteppIR's?  Your QTH location doesn't hurt either.... Yes, too bad 10m wasn't in better shape, I suppose the SFI @ 96 had something to do with it.
Photo of Charles - K5UA

Charles - K5UA

• 310 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
I typically point the 4 element SteppIR NE on Europe and the DB18 SeppIR SE on South America. That allows me to switch to South America quicky when a multiplier pops up and then quickly switch back to Europe. For Japan I electrically reverse the DB18 SteppIR, and for the South Pacific I electrically reverse the 4 element SteppIR. This criss- crossing of the two SteppIRs means I am never more than 3 seconds away from the vast majority of DX entities on 20 through 10 meters. For 40 meters I have to rotate the DB18 SteppIR no more than 45 degrees to put part of the front lobe on any station. It works out well for contesting.

The SFI had a big effect on 20 through 10 meters. 15 was open to Europe but could have been better, and 20 meters was poorly open to Europe and Asia during nightime hours. Big difference from last year. As the SFI continues downward the MUF will continue to drop until 10 and 15 will be useless to Europe (for us in the south) and 20 will be a Daytime- only band. 40m and 80m will have to carry the DX contesting load for the next several years. So, get your low-band antennas ready for the next few years.

I entered ham radio in 1959, one year after the 1958 grand maxima. At 13 years old, I didn't what a sunspot was or anything about SFI, I just thought the bands were always going to sound like that. WRONG!!! Took me a long time to assemble the kind of station I always wanted, only to realize another Maunder Minimum was on the way. Still a lot of fun can be had, however, so don't despair. In the spirit of Monty Python, "Always look on the bright side of life....".
Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 577 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
Very interesting how you're using the SteppIR's.  In the early evening when 20m was still open to South America I could hear the JA's and Asia coming in, I was toggling my SteppIR between long and short path and blessing the day I bought the thing...

I also got my license in 1959 when we lived in Henderson NV, and worked the tail end of 58' mega cycle, back in those days it was CW and AM and HeathKit equipment....
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Gw0gei

Steve Gw0gei

• 192 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
After a hard week in work I opted for a part time effort on 80m low power assisted to set a GW record:

6500 N1MMplus and just a low 80m dipole at 10m agl with meter showing around 80w output

Band QSOs Pts ZN Cty
3.5 1081 1491 15 66
Total 1081 1491 15 66
Score: 120,771
1 Mult = 13.3 Q's

I. Went through the first night but went to bed on Saturday night and just got up for grey line . Sunday evening was slow and hard with low power until 23z when I was spotted on cluster and had a decent last 45 mins running into eu and na

A good baseline score to beat in future years.

Steve gw0gei / GW9J. in contest
Photo of Barry N1EU

Barry N1EU

• 495 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
Just what we don't need is hundreds of contesters being inspired by N6MJ and using up two run frequencies instead of only one  ;-)
(Edited)
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3414 Posts
  • 1296 Reply Likes
Dan N6MJ is an incredible operator who is able to work 2 stations simultaneously. He had 2 IC7800 and exclusive use of the ZF1A antenna farm.at the contest station.

Frankly being from San Diego I am always happy when he works contests from somewhere else as it gives me a chance at winning my ARRL section.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3842 Posts
  • 1169 Reply Likes
"Dueling CQ's" has been used by "single-multi" (Or is it "Multi-single?") OP stations for years.  As long as it is done on two different bands (multiple transmissions on the SAME band has been against the rules for as long as I can remember.)

But, Oh My!  17 Million points?  It is almost enough to make a fellow give up.  I would be happy to reach ONE million in the next big CQWW contest!  I guess this little engine needs to keep on chugging.

I still don't know if I am going to be able to get the antenna work done to allow me to compete in the ARRL 160 contest or not.  I haven't been able to get the dipoles migrated to the tower, or build the Inverted 'L' for 160/80 yet.  Besides that, I have another work related event all day Saturday until evening which will keep me out past the early gray-line prop window.  Perhaps I will be ready for the CQ 160 tests...
Photo of philip.theis

philip.theis, Elmer

• 111 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Just saw this thread, had fun, first time exclusive 6700. 

So cool to work three band DXCC
I love the way this radio just keeps getting better
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3842 Posts
  • 1169 Reply Likes
Nice, Philip.  What category?

KEn - NM9P