Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

2015 ARRL 160 Meter Contest Results

Ken - NM9P
Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Well, there was a certificate in the mail today. In spite of what I though was a dismal effort in last year's ARRL 160 Contest, I apparently did well enough to score first place in Indiana in the Single Op, Low Power, Unlimited category! I almost forgot about it, which is easy to do when it takes 11 months before the certificate arrives.image

Comments

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Of course, there were only two Indiana stations in this category... but I was 11th out of 18 in the Central Division. Nothing to brag about!
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hey Ken,
    I don't contest much, but I do like 160m.  I have a small lot and only have an Inverted-L for this band.  I use it for XMT and RCV.  A bit noisy, but it works ok.

Can you tell me what your using for antennas on this band?

Norm - W7CK
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited July 2019
    Our club's field day results were similar. #1 (of 1) in Category=2AB and Power Mult=5 for VA and Roanoke. It just means we've scared the competition away. This year I sponsored the CQ WW RTTY SOAB QRP World plaque. It looks like it is going to go to RU4SS with an amazing score. I really enjoy some of these contests even as a casual participant.

That certificate is going to look real nice on the wall Ken. 

Kev K4VD
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I use either a 160 Offcenter fed dipole at 38 ft. Or an Inverted-L (35 up and 85 over) with two radials. It works better when I can elevate the radials about ten ft. Above ground. For receive, I use either of the antennas, or a home brew tuned shielded magnetic loop about five ft. Above ground. The loop is made of 20 ft. Of RG8 with the shield split at the top, with tuning/matching network tuned with varactor diodes. The system works OK, but I have lots of hvac motor and other noise sources on 160 at the qth.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks Ken.  That's encouraging.  I'll keep working with my Inv-L for now and see what I can do to improve it.  Noise here isn't usually very bad but the Inv-L seems to be the noisiest. 

I have to admit, I hear things on the 6700 that I don't on the IC-7100.

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    From what I have read, using as few as two or four elevated radials (about 8-10 ft. above the ground) increases efficiency over buried radials. until you get to about 32 in-ground radials.  

I have proven this on my 40 meter vertical with only 4 radials at 8-10 ft.
    On the 160 inverted 'L', I can manage 2-3 temporary radials, even though they are bent to a 90 degree angle after about 65 ft.  I quickly angle them up to 8-10 ft for the first 10 ft. and then support them with 1/2 inch electrical conduit shoved about a foot into the ground every 20 ft or so to keep them from clothes-lining people in my backyard.  After 160 season, I roll the inverted 'L' and radials up on an electrical cord reel and store them until the next season....

When I just lay them on the ground, I don't get as good performance.  I haven't been able to fully understand the radiation efficiency difference, but it seems it has to do with ground capacitance, etc.... I still need to do some more study.  But I am contemplating doing the same thing with an 80 meter inverted 'L.'  I think I may be able to squeeze 4 elevated radials into the yard, somewhat bent, perhaps using two of the 160 radials as part of the system this winter.

Perhaps some of the other 80/160 experts will chime in with some suggestions?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.