2 Meter RF Amplifier

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
I have recently become interested in 2 meter FT8 operation and would like to utilize the 2 meter capability of my Flex-6700. I am aware of the DEMI and the Kuhne amplifiers, but I would like to find a lower-cost amplifier that can drive one of the two power amps that I already own. I would like to boost the approximate 0 dBm transverter output of the 6700 up to about 40 dBm (10 watts) or so.

If anyone is using or is aware of such an amplifier, I would greatly appreciate any information which you could share.

Thanks,

Ed, K0KC

Photo of Ed, K0KC

Ed, K0KC

• 287 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Justin - KL2D

Justin - KL2D

• 115 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
How about a Mirage? They aren’t very fancy but they get the job done.

http://www.mirageamp.com/Product.php?...

Justin
KL2d
Photo of Ed, K0KC

Ed, K0KC

• 287 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Thanks for the suggestion, Justin. Actually, I own a Mirage, but it is a model that requires at least 10 watts or so input and can take up to 60 watts input as I recall. It looks like the model that requires the lowest minimum power input requires 0.25 watts and the Flex only puts out 0.001 watt or so if I read the spec correctly.

Ed, K0KC
Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 736 Posts
  • 148 Reply Likes
If you don’t mind home brewing stuff you can easily build one using one of the little MOSFET RF Modules that most all radios use these days for there PA’s . If you need 5 Watts or so then a module designed for a HT would work just fine , If you need more then 5W then use one designed for a mobile like a SAV17 I think will go up to 50W.

You can get these and MANY other MOSFET modules from RF-Parts. Mounted to a large enough Heat sink and a circuit board designed to mount the Voltage regulator to and a few other components to and a couple relays you have your self a RF AMP if it has spurs then you will need to add between Band Pass filter but again these are easy to build.
73’s
Bret WX7Y
Photo of Ed, K0KC

Ed, K0KC

• 287 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Bret,

I would really like an "off the shelf" solution, but I may have to brew something up myself. Thanks for suggesting this approach!

Ed, K0KC
Photo of David-N5PSM

David-N5PSM

• 132 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
DEMI  2MLDPA is simply a full output stage just right for the 6700  I agree that for what you want it is a bit much,   but you can do more with it as well.........

just sayin

73 de N5PSM David
Photo of Craig K9CT

Craig K9CT

• 42 Posts
  • 46 Reply Likes
Photo of Marc Lalonde

Marc Lalonde

• 368 Posts
  • 91 Reply Likes
HI  this is what i use  to glue together my MKU-144-G3  and W6PQL 1250W RF pallet

have use same setup whit my 6700  ,but whiteout the Transverter ... 

https://www.minikits.com.au/electronic-kits/rf-amplifiers/rf-high-power/2m-8W-Amplifier
(Edited)
Photo of Ed, K0KC

Ed, K0KC

• 287 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Thanks to all who provided me with input...I am weighing the alternatives. Marc, your setup is impressive! I will not be running anything close to 1250 watts; I will, however, consider the Mini-Kits module as one of the alternatives to drive my existing Mirage amplifier.

(Edited)
Photo of Reg

Reg

• 131 Posts
  • 75 Reply Likes
Ed, you mentioned that you are familiar with the Demi and Kuhne products.  I have the Beko HLV-1000LDP (low drive power) which my FLEX-6700 will drive to 1,000W.  I know that you are not looking for that much power.  However, you might be interested in the mast mounted Beko HPP-144 receive preamplifier which will pass 2.5 KW on transmit!
Photo of Ed, K0KC

Ed, K0KC

• 287 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Thanks for the info, Reg. I currently live in an antenna-restricted area and I am limited to antennas mounted in the attic above the garage. I do not anticipate ever running high power for sure and probably could not justify a mast-mounted pre-amp with my current setup. At one time, I had mast-mounted pre-amps for 2 m and 70 cm when I was into satellite operation quite a few years ago at previous QTHs.

Ed, K0KC