2 computers, 1 FlexRadio 6300

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
I am relatively new to the FlexRadio scene, but have a question I don't think I have found an answer to just yet.

I would like to get a dedicated computer for JUST running the Flex, and one for logging. I know it is possible, but is it possible the way I want to do it? 

So, here is what I propose:

Computer 1 - Running SmartSDR and controlling the Flex 6300.

Computer 2 - Running HRD, WSJT-X, fldigi or MMTTY, Win-Test, but getting the band/frequency data from computer 1.

This would, if I understand things correctly, allow the one computer 1 to only use resources for the running of SDR, and allow computer 2 to use resources for the contesting/logging software.

Hopefully this makes some sort of sense the way it does in my brain right now.

Thanks,

NE3K
Photo of Geoffrey Burns

Geoffrey Burns

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2769 Posts
  • 610 Reply Likes
Because SSDR uses very little resources most run everything on one computer and use more screens to run several programs on them.
Photo of Eric - KE5DTO

Eric - KE5DTO, Official Rep

• 678 Posts
  • 205 Reply Likes
What you're describing works fine.  You would want to run SmartSDR CAT on the logging computer so that you have serial connections to the logger and the other applications.  Note that you don't really have to get any frequency info from the other computer -- this info is delivered through the radio via CAT.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9148 Posts
  • 3467 Reply Likes
To get DAX and CAT on the 2nd computer, run the SmartSDR for Windows installer on the 2nd computer and it will load the DAX and CAT applications.  When Installing SmartSDR for Windows on the 1st computer that does not need DAX and CAT, uncheck the options when presented in the installer.  There is no need for DAX and CAT to be on both PCs.
Photo of Geoffrey Burns

Geoffrey Burns

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Excellent. Thanks for all the replies and help gents, much appreciated.