Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

1U Rack Mount CPU for 6700

Mike W8MM
Mike W8MM Member ✭✭
Since deciding to "remote" my 6700(s) to the garage where my antenna feeds congregate, I would like to obtain a computer that integrates into the server rack into which the Flex(s), power supplies, amps, transverters, etc., bolt.

I'm looking for suggestions for a 1U rack mount PC (server type?) that would adequately perform Flex 6000 duties.  The Google search that I did makes it clear that few modestly priced server rack PCs have enough graphics power to do the job.

Any of you PC mavens have a suggestion for a moderately priced 1U solution?

Answers

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    How about one of these...

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/rackmacmini.html

...and a Mac Mini? Lot's of people are using Mac Mini's successfully. You can even run Windows on it if you like. Great hardware!
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited March 2016

Take a look at the Hystou line of mincomputers that are fanless and operate on 12 VDC. I am  using one of my 6500 remotely and I never turn it off as it only uses 12 Watts of power.

Jim, K6QE

• VE2MBT
    VE2MBT Member
    edited November 2019
    you can also just buy a empty computer rackmount case and put whatever you need in it
  • Mike W8MM
    Mike W8MM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Marc, Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I know I can do that. My issue is that I'd rather purchase a ready-to-operate solution than a do-it-yourself project. My spare time is rare, and therefore valuable to me.
  • Richard McClelland, AA5S
    Richard McClelland, AA5S Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The HPE DL20 is not terribly expensive and has a 1U form factor:  http://www.pcconnection.com/product/hpe-proliant-dl20-gen9-intel-3ghz-xeon/823556-b21/30982666?cac=S...  I'm not certain about the video capabilities of these things...
  • Richard McClelland, AA5S
    Richard McClelland, AA5S Member ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Oh, I see there is a video adapter option: HPE NVIDIA Quadro K2200 PCIe Graphics Card, 4GB GDDR5.  Comes with a display port connector but it bumps the price of the server up by a fair amount.  Put in 8gb or 16gb RAM, a couple of SSDs and one of these video cards and I would think you would have a pretty nice server for less than $2,500.
  • Mike W8MM
    Mike W8MM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Jon, I'm quite the fan of Apple products, but I was under the impression that Mac Minis were deficient in graphics power and not up to the task. Am I mistaken?
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I'm doing something similar -- 6500 in the basement -- but haven't found the need to but a computer anywhere but at the operating position. The only only connection between the 6500 and the computer is by ethernet. A 3ft cable or a 300ft cable will work as well. I do need connections to other equipment in the rack though. For those I use a USB to Ethernet adapter. There are threads here discussing some options. But to get closer to answering your question, 1U servers tend to be loud and hot. You might not care about the sound but you will need to be careful about the heat. HP makes the Z200 line of office desktop machines that are quite nice. They are quite, come with great graphics options (up to 5 display port monitors) and the mini-tower versions are rack mountable... but are 2U.
  • Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Have been running LAN remote for nearly three years with a 6700 and no computer near the rig.  I use Ethernet to RS232 servers to control antennas and amps and a RemoteRig to carry audio and keying.  The Maestro may do the audio/keying job for you when it's released.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.