160 Meter CW Contest...Thanks for my first really enjoyable CW contest in years!

• Praise
  • Updated 5 years ago
I had done a lot of CW contesting in the past, but have gotten rusty over the past 5 or 6 years. I decided to take the plunge with the ARRL 160 CW contest this weekend using my 6500 with 100 Watts and an Offset Fed 160 Meter dipole up 38 ft.

All I can say is WOW! The filtering and smooth QSK have made it a joy! I could separate stations that I could never hear before with my TS-850, and in 6 less hours I only had time to make three trips through the band, working a large percentage of the stations I could hear. In 6 hours, I worked 51 Sections and 2 or 3 DX stations. Not a "big dog" but not bad for this casual operator in southern Indiana..

What would make it better?

1) A line in one of the Dedicated Serial Ports to let me send CW from my N3FJP contest logging program would have saved my fingers...

2) The much-anticipated January improvements in DSP - NR especially - would have been helpful.

3) Tunable Audio Peak Filter.

All in all, this has been a good re-entry into the CW contesting world.

Thanks, FLEX!
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3875 Posts
  • 1179 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of W4YXU

W4YXU

• 75 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
With the improved CW capabilities it looks like I am going to have do the chore I have been putting off for the last 6+ years - get my CW abilities back! So far I'm only doing fair at 12+ WPM!
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3875 Posts
  • 1179 Reply Likes
Once I got some things dialed in, it really started getting to be fun. Throughout the contest, I changed the CW pitch so it wouldn't assault my ears quite so much. Then with combinations of AGC-T constants, NR and RX EQ adjustments, I was able to pull out some weak ones!

When (If?) they implement an audio peaking filter, it will add some real utility, as well as the expected DSP/NR improvements slated for this January. I am anxiously awaiting January!
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3875 Posts
  • 1179 Reply Likes
After a few more hours, here are the results... I had limited time to commit to it, but I had a lot of fun.