Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

160 Meter CW Contest...Thanks for my first really enjoyable CW contest in years!

Ken - NM9P
Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I had done a lot of CW contesting in the past, but have gotten rusty over the past 5 or 6 years. I decided to take the plunge with the ARRL 160 CW contest this weekend using my 6500 with 100 Watts and an Offset Fed 160 Meter dipole up 38 ft. All I can say is WOW! The filtering and smooth QSK have made it a joy! I could separate stations that I could never hear before with my TS-850, and in 6 less hours I only had time to make three trips through the band, working a large percentage of the stations I could hear. In 6 hours, I worked 51 Sections and 2 or 3 DX stations. Not a "big dog" but not bad for this casual operator in southern Indiana.. What would make it better? 1) A line in one of the Dedicated Serial Ports to let me send CW from my N3FJP contest logging program would have saved my fingers... 2) The much-anticipated January improvements in DSP - NR especially - would have been helpful. 3) Tunable Audio Peak Filter. All in all, this has been a good re-entry into the CW contesting world. Thanks, FLEX!

Comments

• W4YXU
    W4YXU Member
    edited June 2020
    With the improved CW capabilities it looks like I am going to have do the chore I have been putting off for the last 6+ years - get my CW abilities back! So far I'm only doing fair at 12+ WPM!
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    After a few more hours, here are the results... I had limited time to commit to it, but I had a lot of fun.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Once I got some things dialed in, it really started getting to be fun. Throughout the contest, I changed the CW pitch so it wouldn't assault my ears quite so much. Then with combinations of AGC-T constants, NR and RX EQ adjustments, I was able to pull out some weak ones! When (If?) they implement an audio peaking filter, it will add some real utility, as well as the expected DSP/NR improvements slated for this January. I am anxiously awaiting January!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.