160 noise

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • (Edited)
Noise on 160M that I did not notice earlier today.
I put up a 160, 80, 40 sloper today. Here is what I am seeing now on 160. Notice there is a marker on every KHz. I switched antennas between the 160 sloper and the LP right above it. This ONLY shows when using the sloper.

Thanks,
Walt

Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 644 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Dave Skinner

Dave Skinner

• 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I'm getting the same on 80 and 160 here in Louisiana.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 644 Reply Likes
I don't see it on 80M. Thanks Dave, that, oddly, makes me feel a little better about it.
Photo of AA0KM

AA0KM

• 348 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
PRE-AMP Full-On and Pre-Selector off /6500  and AM/FM broadcast station 4 miles away. With thunder storms in the area also.

====================================================

Flex- 6500 PRE-Selector is On doing its job and PRE-AMP Full ON..

If I turn off PRE-AMP off It all goes away..Yeah!!!

The good stuff of pre-selectors.
(Edited)
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 644 Reply Likes
What Dave and I are seeing has nothing to do with preselectors or preamps. They are regularly and precisely spaced markers directly at KHz intervals. Does anyone know what this is?
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 816 Posts
  • 131 Reply Likes

When I had that it was caused by one of 2 things.  The LG Refrigerator temp control OR my hdmi cables (either the TV or DVR ones).  Snap on ferrites cured it either way.

For whatever reason the HDMI cables interference was worse when the smart TV was tuned to local channel 2.

Two more offenders, with a slightly different noise pattern usually , would be wall warts and switching power supplies.

(Edited)
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1107 Posts
  • 386 Reply Likes
I got it worse, computer power supply
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3594 Posts
  • 1447 Reply Likes
Computer Power Supply Noise - if it's internal to a desktop is easy to fix.. just replace it with one of the better quality Low Noise ones   They run about $50  - I have had very good results replacing noisy internal supplies with Corsair brand supplies

If its a wall wart.... depending on the voltage - you can run them off DC Supplies...
(Edited)
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1107 Posts
  • 386 Reply Likes
I can use my laptop on 160, ferrite wont help?
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3594 Posts
  • 1447 Reply Likes
try a couple of Ferrite's
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4026 Posts
  • 1248 Reply Likes
But they need to be Type-31 to be of much use on 160, though. Your typical "hamfest bargain-bag" ferrites are good for VHF and high HF, but are not as effective on 160.
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 816 Posts
  • 131 Reply Likes
and it takes more of them to get to about 1000 ohms at 160...  less on the HF bands.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 644 Reply Likes
I didn't have it this afternoon and it appears gone now. Also, it was only present when switched to the 160M sloper, if I switched the ant to the LP no noise signals at 1KHz spacing. If I went to ant 3 (nothing at ant 3) there was no signal displayed at all. If it were locally generated noise wouldn't it still show, independent of antenna? Where it is coming from a given ant and it is not always present I don't think it is local (to the room) noise. Is that a reasonable assumption?

It was, however, on a laptop as that is my only windows image. Interesting Burt that you specifically called out the laptop.  Did you mean to say you cannot use your laptop on 160?

Are you referring to my image at the top of the thread or some of the other unrelated images from others?
(Edited)
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 816 Posts
  • 131 Reply Likes

stronger on the Sloper due to the polarization Walt.