1.8 For Windows?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
I'm still happily on 1.6.21 and skipped the last update as I saw no benefit. I don't have Maestro. Steve's post suggests the 1.8 update is fine for Windows, just not maestro. Still, I see a lot of swr/reflected-power/foldback issues posted.

Is there any consensus? Best stay with 1.6.21 if I'm happy with it (my inclination)? I'm not too hot on the idea of trying it and then having to go back down to previous version.

Thanks,
Brad-  N6SPM
Photo of Brad - N6SPM

Brad - N6SPM

• 46 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Brad Adams (N4PYI)

Brad Adams (N4PYI)

• 29 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I would not upgrade. I held off purposely and with all the issues I would stay with what is working until the guys at Flex say otherwise. They have recommended not upgrading until a fix is found. I am at 1.7 with no issues and a Maestro that works just fine.
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1853 Posts
  • 672 Reply Likes
Brad,
Same situation here so sticking with 1.6. No benefit to update at this time and potentially issue with the foldback software.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Myself as well, 1.6.21 and I plan on waiting until, at least, the bug squash point release. As a non-Maestro customer I saw nothing in 1.7 that was relevant. Where I am also uninterested in 2.x WAN, I have no plans to do a knee-jerk, here's another $200 for stuff I have currently no knowledge of or interest in. If there is no bug squash point release, then I may well consider the radio (SSDR vs SSDRfW) functionally completed. I can fix bugs and add enhancements in my current client as I don't actually use SSDRfW.
(Edited)
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 830 Posts
  • 1514 Reply Likes
Walt, any plans to ever publicly release your client?
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Allow me to reply to you OOB, OK? The short answer is, however, I would like to see that happen, yes.
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
Walt, when I am active again, could I test your software. I know just enough about Linux to screw things up and give you useful results. No prob signing a NDA. Can discuss further via my gmail Addy.
Photo of Neil K2NF

Neil K2NF

• 25 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Same here. Staying on 1.6.21 and Win 8.1. The foldback mod sounds like it needs some re-engineering before its ready for prime-time 

Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3888 Posts
  • 947 Reply Likes
It looks to me many need to look at their setup. I read were many are having no trouble at all with the foldback feature.
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 975 Posts
  • 180 Reply Likes
I had a small issue with 1.7 concerning waterfall black settings not being persistent. That has been solved. 1.8 runs very stable, no problems there at all, only the winkeyer bug has not been squashed, but that is more a HRD than a Flex problem. I love the power foldback
as I can now use my external tuner and the complicated switching of my antennas without
tuning with low power first. After the initial foldback, full power comes on quite fast.
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
I still cannot understand why the feature was needed as there was similar functionality there in the first place.
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 975 Posts
  • 180 Reply Likes
In the best case everything works at once, in a bad case nothing works, but the absolutely worst thing is, that nothing works and you fiddle around, and suddenly everything starts to work AND YOU DON'T KNOW WHY!
Photo of Peter K1PGV

Peter K1PGV, Elmer

• 551 Posts
  • 321 Reply Likes
Just to add to the chorus, I've stayed at V1.6 as well.

I test software all day long at work, and want my radio software to "just work"... So I usually wait until there's a community consensus that all is well with a release before I upgrade. No Maestro here... So that's not a driving factor,.

Peter
K1PGV
Photo of Rob Fissel

Rob Fissel

• 270 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
No Maestro here either but the feature of implementing DAX + Mic for use with programs like N1MM was a nice draw so I have 1.8.3 a shot. Unfortunately had major DAX issues so back to 1.6.21. Happy as a clam now. 
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Welcome back Peter. I thought maybe you might have been on vacation.
Photo of Peter K1PGV

Peter K1PGV, Elmer

• 551 Posts
  • 321 Reply Likes
LOL... I *am* on vacation. Finally time to catch-up on the community. :-)

K1PGV
Photo of Gene - K3GC

Gene - K3GC

• 251 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
Being a habitual early adopter I installed 1.8 before the cautionary post and I have had no issues.  I do not have Maestro.
As I understand it there are no issues for non-maestro users.
Photo of WW1SS - Steve

WW1SS - Steve

• 794 Posts
  • 268 Reply Likes
Other than the power fold back that has been implemented
Photo of Terry Tankersley

Terry Tankersley

• 58 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I have a 6500 that I drive a Ameritron ALS-1300 and a OLD SB-221 and I don't have a fold back problem.
Terry
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3888 Posts
  • 947 Reply Likes
I think Tim will soon comment on it,,another thing to pin down,,there are many with no problems and some who do,,strange.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
Official Response
In general, the 1.8.3 release for SmartSDR for Windows, CAT and DAX is very stable.  There have been a few reports of the SWR foldback affecting a few users (much less than 1%).  We are in the  process of characterizing their problem reports.  It has been entered into our bug tracker as issue #3765.  

I would strongly recommend upgrading to 1.8.3 because the items it fixed are more global in nature that the few reports we have received regarding the SWR issue.  If you upgrade and have the SWR issue, I strongly recommend that you open a HelpDesk support ticket so we can characterize your issue.  And you can always easily and conveniently revert back to 1.7.30.
(Edited)
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
I honestly feel Tim does an outstanding job of relaying information from engineering to the user base and acting as the conduit between FRS and the user base in general. Further, I don't believe he takes vacations as there is no noticeable gap in his coverage.

Further, Gerald and Steve are no strangers to this forum, after all, it's their website. Some users seem, however, to feel FRS actuals need assistance in getting their message out and that, where users may not realize the reaction (indignation, amusement, grief) to comments made by users, that their responsibility is to be FRS's surrogate.

Users don't need to worry about a perceived gap in coverage. Tim, Eric, Steve, Gerald, all appear to have it adequately covered.
Photo of Joe Duerbusch

Joe Duerbusch

• 24 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Did I miss something?  Is v. 1.8.3 now available??  I do not  have a Maestro but I would  like to use the "Fixed" CW tone in this weekend contest.

Joe K0BX