1.8.4 distortion Query

  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
For the past 3 or 4 weeks I have been working ssb into the US using my 6500 with reports of very good audio and not had any problems with distortion on receive. I changed to 1.8.4 this morning and this afternoon with my normal transmission into the US I had comments of distortion on the audio and I was having distortion problems with received signals, especially at the beginning of the received audio.
This may be entirely coincidental with the change to 1.8.4, but has anybody else noticed a similar problem.?
Regards
Ross
ZL1N/ZL1WN
Photo of Ross Biggar

Ross Biggar

  • 130 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

  • 9178 Posts
  • 3525 Reply Likes
We did nothing in the 1.8.4 code that would caused this type of behavior. As per the release notes, I'd try doing a cold boot of the radio to ensure that all of the internal processors have rebooted properly. Also in the release notes is the best practice recommendation to backup your profiles before upgrading. If after the cold boot of the radio, the behavior you are experencing has not improved, I would do a factory reset of the radio and import the saved profile data.
(Edited)
Photo of NM1W

NM1W

  • 136 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I am also seeing dax distortion in wsjt-x 1.6.0; I'd been running 1.8.3 fine, upgraded to 1.8.4;  today on 6m I'm seeing dax corrupt the stream after maybe an hour or so. I've had to restart dax twice this am... Here you can see what the wsjtx panel showed before and then you can see where I restarted dax..
I did note that my jt65 transmissions appeared fine since folks could decode them, I just could not decode theirs.. 
wsjt-x 1.6.0 r6263, win10 pro 1511 

I'll do a cold reboot of everything and see if it helps.
-jim NM1W