Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

1.5.1 Installation Clarification

Mike KD2CJJ
Mike KD2CJJ Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
"If you want to uninstall older versions of SmartSDR, it is recommended that you uninstall older versions before installing SmartSDR v1.5.1. Uninstalling previous SmartSDR versions after installing the latest version may in some cases adversely affect the operation of SmartSDR CAT and DAX. It is recommended to retain the latest previous version of SmartSDR in case you desire to revert to a previous version." from the release notes.

Please be patient as I just received my Flex last week thus have never gone through an upgrade.

Is this saying I should remove v1.5 before performing the upgrade?    OR should I leave 1.5 installed and allow the upgrade to take place?  Which method is least susceptible to having issues during the upgrade.

thanks

Answers

• Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Yes, just as the release notes state, uninstall SSDR V1.5 first.  There is no need to uninstall the DAX drivers (the uninstaller will ask if you want to delete them) as long as they've been functioning properly for you, nor is their a need to uninstall SmartSDR CAT, as the installer will automatically update it.
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2017
    Mike,

Welcome to the Flex Community!  I think the intent of that text is to say that IF you would like to uninstall v1.5.0, it would be best to do so before installing v1.5.1 (for example).  Otherwise, when you uninstall v1.5.0, it may pull the rug out from under DAX depending on if you tell it to remove the DAX drivers upon uinstallation.

Uninstalling is not necessary, but many folks just like to have the one version they are running installed to keep their system nice and tidy.  As a developer of the SmartSDR software, I have many versions installed at the same time and they play together nicely.

Feel free to let us know if you run into other confusing or ambiguous language as we would always like to improve our docs.  And as always, there are no dumb questions here.  Ask away.
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    fastest update I have ever experienced. Did not bother uninstalling previous versions.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018

It would sure be nice if Flex would incorporate an all inclusive remover rather than this **** footing around about after deleting the program deleting manually other stuff. It is getting so old.

Jim, K6QE

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    When I uninstall a version of SmartSDR it uninstalls everything from the previous version including the file folders.  The only reason it will not is if a file in the program files has been changed.  If you can provide some specifics, we'll investigate.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019

I didn't even shut own Fldigi it decoded fine before and after. And only paused decodes for the soft reboot/s during the upgrade.

DAX and CAT switched to the new versions without me noticing the switch.

Do that with a competitor's rig.

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    I am glad one can uninstall everything. It seems I remember reading after the install to go to some files and remove them. Now, I read it isn't necessary. Thank you for the update on uninstalling earlier versions.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    You want them to fill out your log for you too?
  • Mike KD2CJJ
    Mike KD2CJJ Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Jim has an idea.  

NVIDIA drivers offer two installation modes and a caveat.  1.  Express which is a dummy install/upgrade. 2.  Custom mode which allows you to select which products you want to upgraded  or not (as they have many bundled drivers), what directory you want the drives installed in, etc..  They also have a check box that says uninstall previous for a clean install.

I would suggest borrowing an idea from NVIDIA.  Provide a CheckBox that Says "Uninstall previous version first for a clean install".  This is then a one step process and ensures the removal of the previous version (if necessary) is done properly.  

Thanks for the clarification however to all in this post.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    I don't really care what I have to do, I just get tired of every time I read about an uninstall the dance changes.
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    edited December 2016
    What has changed?  I thought our current approach had been that way for many months if not years.  Is it just the description of the process?
  • Kg5dwx
    Kg5dwx Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I uninstalled the DAX drivers and now 1.5.1 DAX is not installing. I get a windows warning that ID audio has quit working on install. Tried to go back to 1.5.0.....same issue HELP.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    I had that problem on another install. I deleted the complete Flex Systems folder and everything loaded fine on a subsequent install.
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    edited December 2016
    You're going to need to uninstall and reinstall.  If that doesn't work, I would recommend opening a helpdesk ticket.

In general, we do not recommend uninstalling the DAX drivers when uninstalling unless you are cleaning all versions of SmartSDR off the system.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
  • Kg5dwx
    Kg5dwx Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    If you shound not uninstall the DAX drives, maybe Flex should put that in the instructions?
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Actually that warning is in the release notes:

"It is not necessary or recommended to uninstall the DAX and FlexVSP drivers for this release of SmartSDR for Windows."

from: http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/smartsdr_v1-5-1_release_notes-pdf/

I've learned to read the release notes carefully from Flex and avoid problems.  

In any case good luck with the install, I'm sure you'll be fine

All the Best

Tim

• Kg5dwx
    Kg5dwx Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    up and going.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Eric is right. No changes in uninstall routine for over a year. The only thing that does change is that sometimes it is advised to remove a component and sometimes not.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Why is it advised not to remove DAX?
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015

I am not sure what the uninstall does. When one does an uninstall there are vestiges of other versions still on the computer including DAX and the complete Flex Systems folder. Based on that, I am not sure what Flex's definition of uninstall is and there seems to be various degrees of which I get very confused.

Jim, K6qe 

• Eric-KE5DTO
    edited December 2016
    If you are upgrading, it just isn't necessary as the newer version is going to reinstall them.  While the net result should be the same, it thrashes the Windows device mechanism unnecessarily.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    What is a Windows device mechanism?
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    edited December 2016
    In a software system that supports virtual sound card and Virtual Serial Port (VSP) devices in addition to 3 individual applications (SmartSDR, CAT and DAX), the installation and uninstall is going to have some degree of flexibility.  Also, as mentioned previously in this thread, SmartSDR allows multiple versions to be installed concurrently for maximum flexibility (i.e. you don't have to uninstall/reinstall to compare versions).  Here's the breakdown of what happens on an uninstall:
    1. The SmartSDR application and shortcuts are removed.
    2. The CAT application and shortcuts are removed.
    3. The DAX Application is removed.
    4. During uninstall, a prompt is given to ask whether to keep the DAX drivers on the machine.  If you choose No, the DAX drivers will be removed.
    5. The FlexVSP driver is left untouched.  It can be manually removed by going to the Windows Control Panel -> Uninstall a Program.  Look for "FlexRadio Systems FlexVSP".
    If something is getting left behind, please let us know what it is so that we can address it.  Thanks for your input.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015

What about files that contain profiles, etc.? Are they retained? I think the term uninstall is very vague. In my simple mind, an uninstall of a program would be one where after the uninstall it would as though the program had never been installed. Unfortunately, this is not the case and has caused me endless grief with other programs that still retain drivers, folders, etc. which I don't want. Thank  you for the clarification. It was the best I have seen.

Jim, K6QE

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Profiles and the persistence database are retained in the radio.
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    edited December 2016
    Also, note that exported files are defaulted to save to your desktop.  Those are left untouched when uninstalling.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015

Are all the files including drivers, files, etc. all in the Flex Systems folder? If not, it would be nice to have a list of locations of EVERYTHING remaining in the event one wants to do a complete uninstall.

Jim, K6QE

• Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    When I installed the 6300 just kept blinking for an hour I finally removed power and re-started and it seemed to be ok.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015

Maybe it's a good idea to remove power, do a reset and, then, install. I perform that task every time I upgrade and have never had a problem.

Jim

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.