1.4.11 ANF NR Praise

• Praise
  • Updated 4 years ago
Thanks for the making these work. 
NR is now quiet impressive at least for CW. I can tell a difference even with 50 hz bandwidth selected. That is unusual. NR on most receivers has no effect at such narrow bandwidths.
ANF is now free of that terrible distortion. It responds immediately to carriers. It does reduce the bass but that's not a huge problem. 
Photo of Steve N4LQ

Steve N4LQ

• 568 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
  • serene

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Robbie - KI4TTZ

Robbie - KI4TTZ

• 484 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
I agree, I tested it briefly last night and noticed a huge improvement for both NR and ANF. Great job Flex!
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 856 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
Agree too, Thanks Flex !
Photo of SteveM

SteveM

• 268 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
Coming from you, Steve, that means a lot. Thanks for the post.
Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 755 Posts
  • 153 Reply Likes
VERY Impressive thanks to all the guys and girls at FLEX for doing a fantastic job with the NR and ANF and BUG fixes.

73's
Bret
WX7Y
Photo of Larry LaVaseur

Larry LaVaseur

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Noise blanker does an excellent job with lightning crashes, they disapear!
Photo of Steve N4LQ

Steve N4LQ

• 568 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Larry. Just to be clear, NR is not a blanker. NB is. 
Photo of Robert -- N5IKD

Robert -- N5IKD, Elmer

• 488 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
NR works great on AM now too!
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1780 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
After using the NR and NB for a few weeks I can also jump on the praise wagon. It is quite amazing to see the NR do its job on weird noises and heavy interference. Today I had a significant noise source taking quite a bit of the spectrum on 20m, from 14200 to 14212, with a signal of 7. This noise source started while I was having a QSO with a club station from the UK. I thought I would have to give up on the QSO but I was amazed at how capable the combination of NB and NR were to almost cancel the noise and allow me to complete the QSO.

I then recorded a video of the performance of NR and NB on the noise, but without the correspondent on the other end (I had finish the QSO and he went QRT), so you really cannot tell how it rescued the signal from the noise.

I was trying to explain to other OMs how capable the flex was now in the NR area and they couldn't believe it was able to "pull" the signal from the noise. They think I am on crack! How can I explain it to non SDR users?

This is what I think it does, I guess that SmartSDR's NR takes thousands of samples out of the little bit of spectrum that I am listening to and then cancels the ones that are more persistent or constant, versus the ones that are more variables, such a human voice. I can see that NR seems to vary as you move the slider, but not necessarily in a linear way. Sometimes more is not better... I can also see that it is sometimes optimal to toggle NR off and on, and the "algorithm" runs again and performs better....

Probably my explanation differs quite a bit from the reality of what NR and the software behind it is doing, but I would appreciate if FRS or any of the many knowledgeable OMs in this board could provide a better explanation. I am not asking for the coca-cola secret recipe, just a proper explanation on how NR on the Flex manages to pull the weak signals out of the noise!

Here is the video I recorded today. I recorded it with the cellphone and the commentary is on Spanish for my buddies.

(Edited)
Photo of Bob G   W1GLV

Bob G W1GLV

• 750 Posts
  • 136 Reply Likes
I agree about the NB which I feel has improved quite a bit, but FRS is not there yet. As far as the ANF goes, it's better than it was but it also distorts the audio. FRS keep plugging away at it.
(Edited)
Photo of Steve N4LQ

Steve N4LQ

• 568 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
NB didn't change Bob.
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 856 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
How many carriers ANF can manage simultaneously ?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3541 Reply Likes
One effectively.