Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

"Runaway Dits" in N1MM+ and WinKeyer emulation - 6600

Duane_AC5AA
Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
edited February 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
During this weekend's contest I had 3-4 instances where the 6600 would start sending continuous dits and could only be stopped by shutting down either SSDR or powering off the rig.  Twice it happened while transmitting, and another time it started while I was receiving.  Checked both keys and neither is close to being "closed".   Tapping the keys did not stop it.  The first two instances occurred after having the rig and software running for several hours, and happened close enough together after a repower that I rebooted the system and started fresh.  It wasn't more than 30 minutes before it happened again.  Details:

Flex-6600
  SmartSDR:  2.4.9
  N1MM+:  1.0.7532.0  (Latest level)

(Edit)  Additional info:  I use CWX all the time with no issues noted.  WinKeyer emulation was in use for the contest.  Not sure how WriteLog worked as I haven't used it in a bit now.

I'm fairly new to N1MM+ and didn't have this problem on an earlier contest, nor with WriteLog.  Any suggestions are welcome.

73, Duane

Comments

• Jamie WW3S
    Jamie WW3S Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    No such problem here, was my first cw test with my new 6600 and maestro, mm keying was flawless......strange though that with my paddles plugged into the maestro, the software wouldn’t key (paddle sent fine) ....had to plug the paddles into the radio in order to have the winkey work via the software...is that by design or a bug ?
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    The interesting one was when it started sending while you were receiving ?  This is probably not a RFI issue then.  Are you positive one of your CW key lines (cables/connectors) were not being shorted somewhere ?  Wiggle those wires and see if you can recreate this. 

I've made thousands of CW contacts using N1MM and Flex 6600M with winkeyer emulator without issue except for the random sending delays before version 2.4.9.  I'm running N1MM version 1.0.7492.0.  I will update and test.

Please keep us posted on what you find in the event this is a software issue that has popped up in the latest version of N1MM.
  • Jamie WW3S
    Jamie WW3S Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I did have some random delays with ver 2.49 this weekend using either esm or the f key direct but I think it was related to the large number of skimmer spots being received at the time....
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I intentionally do not collect spots, but around the time the false keying started I would notice a hiccup in the SSDR - both audio and video - i.e., very brief (half a second) pause in audio and tuning cursor tracking.  It was very rare - maybe twice, but was close enough to when the "dits" started that I thought maybe there was some correlation.  I thought perhaps was related to the recent MS update (Windows 10-64) which had not posed any noticeable problems to SSDR.  I will check the key lines this morning - they've been fine now for several months but it's worth a check. 
  • Gene Duprey
    Gene Duprey Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    This happened to me the first time I tried using my keyed with my 6500.  Had to restart the radio to stop it.  Keyer and cable work just fine.

Gene
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Good information.  I am also running Win 10 (1809).  I have not noticed any issues but I will keep a watch on things.  I am now running a continuous CQ with N1MM (same version as yours) to see if I can recreate the issue. 
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Thanks, Joe - the first time it occurred for me the rig had been on about 10 hours and I was in and out of the shack working S&P.  Then, after the first time, it failed again in about 30 minutes.  I didn't time the later times it happened - it was a day later.  All to say that repeatability may be difficult.
  • John S Comella
    John S Comella Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I had a similar issue.  Uncontrollable keying on 80 meters.  I was using an outboard keyer and N1MM keying.  I had two key lines going to the 6600 using a "Y" connector.  When I disconnected one key line or the other the problem disappeared.  I solved the problem by using a K1EL keyer which connects to the computer and a single "key" line from the computer to the 6600.
    John, N8AA
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    OK, I think I may have  found it.  I also have 2 keys feeding the key jack on the back of the 6600.  One of them, the newer Begali Blade (hand pump) had what looks under a magnifying glass like a whisker from the shield that was close enough to the key line (dit side) that it "could" have been a problem.  Interestingly, I had to press on the solder lug to make it key, which is how I found it, so I'm not positive this is it, but it would certainly explain the problem if it is.  The Blade was added a couple of months ago, after the last CW contest I used the lashup in.  So, let's call off the dogs for now, and assume the problem has been found and corrected.  If it recurs now, well, that will be another story.  Thanks for all the help and suggestions, and see you on the air! 

73, Duane
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Yep, been there and done that one before Duane !  Keep us posted if it starts behaving poorly again.  We'll put the dogs away for now :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.