Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

.PCM files....anyone else seeing these

Mike Webb KC0YHM
Mike Webb KC0YHM Member ✭✭
Flex 6400 / Win 10 ... both using most current software
--
Recently, I got a disk getting full message...which made no sesne at all to me...my new pc has a 250 G SSD for the OS and a terrabite for all esle.Turns out the windows temp folder was filling up with .PCM files. Internet research was helpful regarding what they are but the WHY is illusive.
I am certain that they are a result of running Smart SDR. For now, I have to delete the PCM files periodically...any advice on how to avoid creating them?

Answers

• Steve KD2OM
    Steve KD2OM Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Do you inadvertently have the record function on?

Steve KD2OM

• Mike Webb KC0YHM
    edited January 2020
    Hello Steve.
    No....not recording...as far as I know.
    Recording is off on both slices.
    [No microphone is associated with windows voice recorder...JIC!]
    --
    I agree that something associated with SSDR is recording..
    If I turn OFF the microphone access to Smart SDR in the windows microphone permissions page, and leave all others...like Alexa and Skype...in the ON position the recording stops. SSDR is the trigger.
    --
    No CAT OR DAX items are open here in FL.
    --
    Mike

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    @Mike KC0YHM

Files are not created by default.  Perhaps toggle your software settings.

Does the situation repeat after full everything powered-down reboot?  

What other software are you running that might affect things or create its own .pcm files?

I scanned one of my machines and found zero unexpected .pcm files, and also noticed how small the ones I did create were.  

If you are really stumped you could do a help ticket with FRS.

Steve
    K9ZW

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com

• Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Mike,

Do a right click on the pcm file then to properties to find out what program is generating the pcm file. 

Dudley
    WA5QPZ
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    my suggestion is to play some of the files...and hear what they sound like...that would give a hunt as to where they are coming from....

just a thought

Paul K3SF

• Mike Webb KC0YHM
    edited January 2020
    Hello Dudley....good idea....the outcome wasn't helpful to me...maybe you or someone else might think differently...wonder if I have a gremlin?
  • SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited January 2020

See the following link (HadesCanyon/Cortana/Skype issue): Link

Note the following from a gentleman by the name of Richard Johnson:

MJ Bates, thanks. It affects me, too! The microphone array is/was a useful asset on Hades Canyon. Currently, there are 3 work-arounds:

1) Disable array in Settings>Sound.

2) Disallow Cortana access in Settings>Privacy>Microphone (Webzilla_Stu contributed this, above).

3) Plug in an external USB microphone (Cortana then works without dumping data to Temp).

I did get a call from an engineer from the Windows Feedback Hub, apparently on the issue, but I was in the boondocks in July, with a flaky wi-fi at the motel. So no joy from Microsoft so far.

And this from Shey Liu:

I uninstalled the official old Realtek Audio driver from Intel website and installed this unofficial driver. It seems that the problem has been solved. My Intel Hades Canyons has not generated a new "skwsrefmfx" file so far.
  • Mike Webb KC0YHM
    edited January 2020
    Hello Paul. 
    Could not find a bit of freeware to open it.
    Audacity...and a couple others...naturally Media Player...no joy.
    I think the fact that stopping SSDR is a clue. The file builds when SSDR starts.
  • SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited January 2020
    Does it really matter? I think you would just hear what your mic was picking-up. See my comment below. Many other (non-hams) have reported this issue which seems to be an interaction between a generic audio driver with a specific flavor of computer hardware.
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Mike,

In this light,  make sure that none of the DAX drivers are listed as a default sound device on your PC..  Just in case Cortana  or Skype see it as a default input mic or line input . 

Dudley
    WA5QPZ
  • Mike Webb KC0YHM
    edited January 2020
    The other clue is that the pcm file cant be deleted while SSDR is open.
  • Mike Webb KC0YHM
    edited January 2020
    Did check and see if DAX was default...no...realtec for in and out...i dont allow mic access to Skype and Cortana...I've been at the PC too long today... going to step away till tomorrow...but no doubt...if SSDR is off...no big PCM files....as soon as its on...something starts up. Thanks for everyones input.

• SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited January 2020
    So the Realtek driver was the one implicated in the Microsoft thread that I posted. I would try to install a different version of the driver, disable the hardware, or circumvent it by using an external mic (bluetooth, wireless, or wired usb).

In hindsight, I suppose Cortana/Skype were falsely implicated since it seems that any consumer of RealTek audio (in this case, SSDR) will cause the files to be generated.

• Robert Guertin
    edited January 2020
    been operating a Flex for over 5 years, never heard of a pcm file. Learn something everyday.
  • Mike Webb KC0YHM
    edited January 2020
    GM. First thing I did today...after coffee...was to check for driver updates for Realtek...no joy...then I thought...no harm in diabling it and plugging in my USB headset.....no issues....headset worked normally using Plantrionics driver. So, I unplugged the headset and enabled Realtek again...guess what...disabling and then restarting Realtek stopped the recording.
    So for now I'll monitor it, expecting the best.
    ---
    Should I stumble upon the trigger I'll share it.
    --
    Thanks to all for helping me with good suggestions.
    --
    Mike

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.