Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

"Official" Version of Visual Studio?

Peter K1PGV
Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR API
Flex Folks...

What's the "officially supported" version of Visual Studio for the FlexLib source code?

Put another way... What version of VS are you guys using for FlexLib/SSDR development?

I realize "it should work whatever" and no... I'm not seeing any specific issues.

I'm in the process of configuring a new dev system for home... and I'd like to know which version of VS I should put on my system (in addition to VS 2015) to ensure happy co-existence with FlexLib-related development.

Thanks,

Peter
K1PGV

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    VS2010
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks.  That's what I *had* been using... I was just wondering if y'all had moved on to something later and (not so much) greater.

Peter
    K1PGV
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I write my software in VS 2015 (Not FlexLib) and found adaption went without issue.
  • K1FR
    K1FR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Peter:  I am a green novice at writing code compared to you (thanks again for helping back when I was trying to get started writing stuff for my Flex).  FWIW - my VS2013 seems to work just fine.  Only thing missing is the #FIX_DUMB_MISTAKES feature!  

73, Tom
    K1FR
  • Pete - W6OP
    Pete - W6OP Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    It's not so much the version of Visual Studio as it is the .Net version. Assemblies compiled with a higher .Net version can interact with lower .Net version assemblies but not the other way around.

• Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    All,

Thanks. I was asking a very specific question for a specific reason -- I'm setting up a new dev machine for home, and in addition to installing VS 2015, I wanted to know what tool chain Flex uses so I could install that as well, as I'm interested in being able to build FlexLib from source and exactkt replicate what Flex builds. The C# compiler evolves, just like any language.  It is not a given (and not my experience) that C# written using an earlier version of VS will *necessarily* compile cleanly using a later version of C# and VS.  Because I have an MSDN subscription, there's no added cost regardless of how many versions of VS I install.  So, you know, might as well install as many version of VS as I might what to use!

For the archives: W6OP, K1FR, and VA7NF are all correct.  You should be able to use a pre-built copy of FlexLib supplied by FRS, or talk to the radio over the network, using any later available version of C# built using any later available version of VS. The version of VS that Flex uses is only relevant if you want to be assured of being able to build FlexLib from source, and create an exact duplicate of what Flex distributes.

Again, thanks all. To me, one of the best features of the Flex 6xxx series radios is the ability for us users to be able to customize how we control it. I make significant use of this ability here at K1PGV to make my radio uniquely suited to me.  How great is that, right?

Peter
    K1PGV

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.