Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

“Flex Radio Systems FlexVSP” is corrupted every time Lenovo and CAT are booted.

Stanley Korzep
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR CAT
I am using a 6300, Maestro, 1.10.16, with  Lenovo WIN7 to provide DAX and CAT functions for Fldigi and N1MM+.

“Flex Radio Systems FlexVSP” is corrupted every time Lenovo and CAT are booted.

Tim's solution works but is annoying to use every day.

Can anyone help me resolve this daily corruption problem?

Stan W8NNX.

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2017
    On the surface, this sounds like a permissions problem or there is an installed program that is preventing the FlexVSP service and the DAX drivers from loading properly, like preventing Registry access.
  • Stanley Korzep
    edited June 2017
    Good morning Tim.  The hard drive was wiped clean before installing it in the Lenovo (used, came without drive)  Only programs on it are SmartSDR, Fldigi, N1MM, and Google. I don't have a PC background: I need a bit more help please.  Stan
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Hi Stanley What is the error message? 
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2017
    Stan,

I wish it was possible that I could be more helpful for this particular situation, but dealing with individual's PC operating system issues is a little out of scope for the support we provide at FlexRadio. If you are not able to get a successful remedy from the users on the Community, let me know and I'll get you in touch with someone who does remote operating system support that is a long time Flex user. 
  • Stanley Korzep
    edited June 2017
    Hi Michael.  No error message.  Problem evidenced by frequency reading on upper left corner of Fldigi reading inaccurate and not changing as the actual frequency changes. 

Tim has me on the right track.. I originally wanted to do a bit of brain exercise by incorporating Fldigi into the station.  In one day and his comment, I have learned a lot.  I think I have the solution operating now.  If all goes well in the next day, I will share his guidance and the solution with all.  In the meantime, as my kids would say,"Tim,You De Man".

73  Stan W8NNX
  • Stanley Korzep
    edited June 2017
    Hi All.  Tim's guidance led me to removing the external virus protection and the external firewall, one at a time.  The firewall was causing most of my corruption problem.  The virus protection had no effect.  Part of the explanation I believe is that WIN7 Pro appears to not turn off "defender" when external protection is in place.  I had two firewalls running simultaneously...probably not a recommended configuration.

I have only the WIN7 programs plus SDR, Fldigi, and N1MM+ programs now on the Lenovo.  I can not correlate any other activity to the random corruption.

One other clue I have found: if all is running well and I get brave and try to connect to the N1MM telnet mode, I not only experience the instant corruption; the Lenovo suffers some problem that can only be cured thus far with a reboot.

Anyone out there have an idea?

Stan W8NNX
  • Stanley Korzep
    edited July 2017
    Follow-up for Tim:  I have learned a lot about com ports since your last response.  I have the digital programs  FLDIGI, N1MM+, the WSJT-X, and WSPR programs working very nicely, but I am still troubled with the need to repair the VSP each time I power up.

I have interpreted your initial diagnosis as having a problem with conflicts in the com ports.  Indeed you were correct; I did have a couple.  Now that everything seems to be functioning as I would expect, I have ended up with just the one continuing problem. 

I have removed one program at a time until all programs have been eliminated by closing the port that they connect to.  I am down to only one port shown as Com1.  This includes "ghost ports". I have removed the input to the Com1 connector. 

My final test was to power up the Lenovo : no power to the 6000 and the Maestro.  That condition has only the 1.10.16 SDR, DAX, and CAT.operational, but leaving the other digital programs no port to talk with.

The final test was to exit CAT to repair the VSP, verify that the VSP was repaired, check the lack of existing ports except for Com1, and restart CAT.  Then I exited CAT and checked the VSP that now show failed mode,.  I verified that there was still only Com1 present...no ghosts.

Can you hint where I have gone wrong?

Stan

• Tim - W4TME
    edited July 2017
    The VSP port configuration is stored in 2 places; the registry and the CAT.settings file that resides in the %APPDATA%FlexRadio Systems folder.  If created ports are not being saved, I suspect it is a permissions problem (not enough rights to write data to those locations or a security program is preventing it from happening).  Unfortunately, this seems to be an issue unique to your PC and that is going to make it really challenging to figure out what is happening.

At this juncture, I'd recommend opening a HelpDesk support ticket to see if we can figure out a way to make the driver install and run properly.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.