Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

"Certified Used" 6400M delivered today - ATU doesn't appear to be working

N7CXI
N7CXI Member ✭✭
Received the 6400M today, unboxed and hooked up this evening.
Everything seems to be fine so far except the ATU.

Pressing the ATU (quickly) pops up a gray "TUNE" balloon in the display, but no flashes or relays. The "ATU Mem" button in the TX menu appears to be disabled. ("grayed out") I did, in fact read the ATU section in the manual several times.  I also did a full reset, (white button) but that had no effect.

Pure speculation on my part, but it's almost like the radio doesn't know it's supposed to have an ATU installed.  

Any ideas?

- other than that, simply brilliant so far. Beautiful display, excellent GUI design. TX audio is red hot, at least with my drill-sergeant voice. :-)

Thanks,
Jim N7CXI

Answers

• N7CXI
    N7CXI Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Here's an image of how it looks in SmartSDR.

• Tim W
    Tim W Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I have a 6400 thats waiting for its ATU to be delivered. That’s exactly what mine looks like when no ATU is detected
  • N7CXI
    N7CXI Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Thanks, Tim.
    I suspect the ATU is either missing or something shook loose in shipping?  Hard to say. I'm tempted to pull the cover and peek in there to see, but I'll wait until I hear from Flex. I have a PalStar AT5K-HP I use with the amp anyway - no crisis.

Jim N7CXI
  • WQ2H - Jim Poulette
    edited August 2018
    Jim - My suspicion is that if you are not getting a state indication (above the ATU button in green) - then an ATU is not being sensed. Good luck!

Jim, WQ2H

• Johan / SE3X
    Johan / SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    What's the SWR on the antenna you are trying to tune? If it's "to good" the tuner won't kick-in. Look's like that on both my 6500 and the 6700 because I have resonant antennas on most of the band segments i work. Tuner will indicate By (as) if SWR good enough.

• WQ2H - Jim Poulette
    edited August 2018
    I would back up -  if the ATU & MEM buttons are "grayed out", with no state indication at all, then the radio is probably not recognizing the ATU or it is not installed. I'm not sure you can do much troubleshooting beyond that. The only other thing I would do is enable a profile first and see if that has any effect.

Jim, WQ2H
  • EduardoCarvalho
    EduardoCarvalho Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Jim, Looks like the radio is not seeing the ATU. I suggest you enter a help desk ticket. Flex will then contact you to troubleshoot. Eduardo, KC8R
  • W8TZ Ross
    W8TZ Ross Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Go to Settings/Radio Setup in SSDR. In the Radio tab, it should say Options: ATU if the radio knows it has a tuner.

• N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Was going to post  as well, I would check and see if the ATU is even installed, I have a 6400 NON ATU rig and it looks just like you posted above. Check the specs and check what you ordered as the 6400 s available With and Without the ATU as its an option on this model.
  • N7CXI
    N7CXI Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Thanks for the replies.

N8SDR gets the gold star - the Radio tab of the Settings window shows "Options: None". It's pretty clear at this point that the ATU is either not installed or damaged. 

I'll see if I can find a bit around here that matches that tiny Torx head **** in the case. I have a complete Torx driver set around here SOMEWHERE, but I haven't seen it in some time.

• N7CXI
    N7CXI Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Oops - Got that wrong, it was Ross.  Have to keep those things straight. :-)

• Alan C
    Alan C Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Reviewed the Flex Radio 'order page' - there is no Ant Tuner option listed for the 6400(M) or the 6600(M). I think this is an oops on Flex's part. Ant Tuner is an option for the 6400(M) as I bought one 6 months ago. - not sure about the 6600(M)...

my .02
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    ATU is standard with the 6600M...
  • N7CXI
    N7CXI Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Understood. I bought the rig with the ATU option, it's listed on the invoice.
    I'm not all that wound up about, just enjoying the new radio. :-)

Thanks,
    Jim N7CXI

• N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Jim if it was listed that way on invoice and description , I'm sure they will work to make it right, BTW the ATU is a field install-able unit.  Which is why when I ordered my 6400 I opted to not get it right away and use my dedicated tuner instead, knowing I could if wanted or needed some point order the ATU and install it myself.
  • N7CXI
    N7CXI Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Thanks again for the replies, all.
    I opened a Help Desk ticket, and will be well.

All things considered, I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I think I've fallen in love with the display. Who needs an ATU ?  ;-)

--jim
  • WQ2H - Jim Poulette
    edited August 2018
    Well.....I think that doesn't always work. This ATU works great but has never shown up as an option. Go figure.

Jim, WQ2H

• VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Jim, it looks like you have 6600 according to your Radio Identification. I think the Tuner comes standard equipment with a 6600 and therefore that might explain why it it doesn’t show. I have a 6700 so I may be wrong 73 de Winston
  • Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Let the antenna do the work.
    Andrew VK5CV
  • WQ2H - Jim Poulette
    edited August 2018
    AH-HA ! Got it !

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.