Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Question Regarding Tx Delay

AA1SS
AA1SS Member ✭✭

One part of the manual it says:

When driven by a FLEX-6000 Series transceiver, the tuner can be keyed over the radio’s LAN connection, which automatically manages all transmit delays and other details.

Further down it says:

When keying the tuner with FLEX 6000 Series transceivers using LAN keying, a [TX Delay] value should be set to a minimum of 20 milliseconds to allow the tuner to select the correct tuning solution.

So do I set the delay or is it done automatically??? . . . Or am I just being DUMB here??

Comments

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Even with LAN keying the suggested TX delay in the radio is 20 mS. CW Delay needs to be higher than 20 ms.

I run 20 mS TX delay and 30 mS CW delay.

73 Dave wo2x

• AA1SS
    AA1SS Member ✭✭

Thanks

• jmwallace74
    jmwallace74 Member
    Yes, I had the same question as WW1SS about the TX Delay because of the document double talk from my Tuner Genius VS the Power Genius XL manual I received in the box..
    My take is why have 2 different delays. One delay of 20 milliseconds vs another delay of 30 milliseconds for CW???
    I will just choose something like 35 milliseconds for every TX profile I have and be done with it. That will avoid me forgetting to have the special correct TX Delay setting for CW.
    Also,
    Did anybody see an electronic copy of the Power Genius XL User Guide for download? I was wondering why there isn’t one listed with the product resources like the other products. I prefer electronic copies of my manuals so I can have them available anywhere I have internet.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

This settings changes a lot with different firmware releases, BUT if you get a "SWR alarm" in CW when you've already tuned the Tuner then increase the Delay until the SWR alarm's stops kicking the AMP off line with different CW speeds.

I think right now with the latest release software / firmware the recommended is 20 Milliseconds for each device so for the TGXL and PGXL you may want to try 40 Milliseconds and work down from there and back out if you start getting the SWR alarm at higher CW speeds.

This is a pretty fluid setting and it will hopefully get better in the future.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

TX delay and CW delay are two different settings.

TX delay should be 20 ms if you have the PG XL (and/or TG XL, AG). This is the amount of time the radio will hold up sending RF once PTT is asserted. In the Genius line, the Tuner Genius will get the PTT command, set the tuner to proper settings (A or B in SO2R model) and proper C1, L, and C2. It then checks with the PG XL and AG to see if both are ready for TX. This all happens in less than 20 ms, but 20 for the radio TX delay should be the minimum with any Genius line equipment in line.

CW delay is the time delay before sending a dit or dah. Setting this too low can cause truncated first character (dah sounds like dit or missing first dit)

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.