Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Popping sound

Options

Hi all,

I have an annoying popping sound both on headset and PC speakers. When I move the VFO it happen mostly when getting to the edge of the panadapter, it move together with the VFO. You can listen to it here: https://youtube.com/live/AySvdTH_BRE

My system is a Win11 GamePC with a ryzen7 5800X, 128Gb DDR4, SSD M2 (gaming) and a RTX 2060 OC. The router is a 1GLan Cisco and all Cables are Cat6.

I tried to change router, reduce the PC load, disable all companion software, use another PC in the network and as last resort the radio Factory Reset but the issue is still there.

Any suggestion?

Max IU4JNR

Tagged:

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

The popping sound is related to your network communications and it is actual packet loss.

It likely is not related directly to the radio or the PC since they all seem ok. And, I do see that you changed the router. If the router is a 1GB/Sec router, is there any chance you can test with a 100mb/sec router as we have seen that 1GB routers are not very good when dealing with 100mb LAN.

Are you using WiFi at all ?

• Iu4jnr
    Iu4jnr Member ✭✭
    Options

Hello Mike, thanks for prompt reply. I do not use wifi, just wired. I will reduce the max speed as per your direction both on the cisco router and on the lan card which is a 2.5gb killer. I let you know.

Thank you, Max IU4JNR

• Iu4jnr
    Iu4jnr Member ✭✭
    Options

hello Mike,

I’ve reduced the speed as suggested and then, in little steps, I applied other changes to my network adapter. With the network analysis tool, the latency is stable <1ms. However, there is still a little “popping and crackling” effect in the headphone (less in the pc speakers) which arise when, moving the VFO and reaching the edge of panadapter, it move following the vfo. Actually it seems I have mitigated a little but it is still there.

Maybe it is a kind of “eye floaters”, nothing really important which I will get used to.

Is to be mentioned however that I own other 2 advanced SDR of different brands which share the same network but not at the same time (I have just 1 set of antennas) and I don’t experience crackling/popping issues on both of them, nor other latency issues.

Max IU4JNR

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.