Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR installations on Windows 11

Mike-VA3MW
Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
edited October 2021 in SmartSDR for Windows

New Windows 11 Installations: 

SmartSDR for Windows v3.2.39 and v2.7.6 are supported on new installations of Windows 11. Just install SmartSDR for Windows on your PC and follow the prompts.  Reboot the PC once the installation finishes.

Upgrades from Windows 10 to Windows 11:

1.) We have reports from several customers with issues upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11 where the FlexRadio VSP drivers are not re-installed correctly.

The fix for this is straightforward

1. Download the current version of SmartSDR (3.2.39 or 2.7.6 as of today) for the version of SmartSDR your radio is licensed to use.
  2. Run the SmartSDR for Windows installer.  This should correct the issue with the VSP drivers by reinstalling them.  

2.) You may also experience a Windows STOP error (known as BSoD or GSoD) related to portctl.sys upon the first reboot. This is due to DAX being reinstalled as part of the Windows 11 upgrade process and should only happen once.

Please submit a helpdesk ticket if you encounter any issues with running SmartSDR, DAX, or CAT after performing the Windows 11 upgrade. https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

If you are considering upgrading to Windows 11, please follow Microsoft’s guidelines and only install Windows 11 on supported hardware.  Do not force an install on unsupported hardware. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/whats-new/windows-11-requirements

Comments

• kx4m
    kx4m Member
    Confirmed - worked fine after following these instructions.

Thanks!
  • W4AFK Bruno
    W4AFK Bruno Member ✭✭

My experience - Upgraded my ham radio computer to Windows 11 (the only one I have that supports Windows 11 LOL) and all went very well. My 6400 is remote (2684 miles away) and I rely on SmartLink. I only had to re-login to SmartLink after the update, but everything worked just as well as when I was running Windows 10.

I will not update my 5-year old Microsoft Surface Pro 4, which I use to access my 6400 when not at home, as per Microsoft, it's not supported. In any event, SmartLink works just fine in Windows 10 Pro on the Surface Pro 4, so I will NOT "break it" :-)

• on5po
    on5po Member ✭✭

Hello, I just took win 11, installation without problems, functioning of my flex 6700 v2.7.6 without problems, or I have a problem with HRD logbook and cluster, error 0xc000012f

C: /WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/vccorlib140.DLL is not designed to run on windows or contains an error

I removed HRD then resumed on their site, without result, impossible to access these two windows,

who would have the solution

Thank you

on5po, Jaqnny

• on5po
    on5po Member ✭✭

Hello everyone, the problem with HRD logbook, is solved, I changed cluster, and it works, there is a window that appears sytem32, but does not disturb the operation, as explained in the previous post

• Grant VK4JAZ
    Grant VK4JAZ Member ✭✭
    I upgraded my laptop to Windows 11 (form 10) before downloading and installing SmartSDR. I am a remote user of my club's 6400; they told me to install v 3.2.37, which I did. All went remarkably smoothly and I was up and running without a hitch. I am still learning to use the 6400 and it's a steep learning curve, but nothing to do with Windows 11.
  • on5po
    on5po Member ✭✭

Hello everyone,

I can write that win 11 works correctly keeping only this window appears from time to time, but does not interfere with the use, appears when opening wi11.

Sorry for the image upside down,

if someone can tell me where it comes from or how to remove it, if not, i will wait for the next update

on5po, Janny

• At a guess, so I might be wrong, you have Adobe Acrobat on your computer. If this is not the case, read no further. If it is then either reinstall Acrobat to see if that fixes it, or uninstall Acrobat to check for a resolution, or look to see if you have Microsoft Visual C++ installed and up-to-date. Ideally you need up to and including the 2019 C++ version which for 64bit machines is here: https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x64.exe

• on5po
    on5po Member ✭✭

Thanks Erik,

I uninstalled "abobe acrobat" without results, I think the best is to wait for the next "update" since, this has no effect on the operation of the programs,

Thank you for your help

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭

I think this might be a Windows Registry problem. There are nice apps that help with this. Clean My PC is one Restoro is one but is very intrusive but affective.

• Steve Potter
    Steve Potter Member ✭✭

Hi

Will the Dax drivers of the next update address the compatibility with Core Isolation / Memory Integrity feature of Windows 11?

Cheers

• Ray G6UJB
    Ray G6UJB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2022

Hi,

I was running Windows 10 and I uninstalled SmartSDR and VSP before I upgraded to Windows 11 (On a compatible machine) as a precaution but I found that a fresh install of SmartSDR did not install the VSP driver the fix was to manually re-install VSP driver by executing the C:\Program Files\FlexRadio Systems\FlexVSP\FlexVSPInstaller.msi.

• Mark
    Mark Member ✭✭

Where can I get that? I cant find the installer.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

The trick is when Uninstalling SmartSDR DO NOT delete the Drivers, the upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 is not hard at all, BUT if you uninstall the Drivers it can be mean a reinstall of the Drivers manually as Ray found out because Windows 11 has driver protection enabled, the SmartSDR uninstaller has the option to keep the drivers when you uninstall SmartSDR.

As Ray Pointed out the Driver re-installer is "VSP driver the fix was to manually re-install VSP driver by executing the C:\Program Files\FlexRadio Systems\FlexVSP\FlexVSPInstaller.msi"

• Jim  KJ3P
    Jim KJ3P Member ✭✭✭

Win 11 and Microsoft Surface Laptop Actually Work Together!

After belly-aching about this ever since I upgraded to Win 11 when it first came out, I'm finally happy to say it all works nicely now, even on my new Surface Laptop. My goal was to be able to do FT8 remotely, but, under Win 11 I could never get DAX to work properly in reporting its in/out spigots to Windows, so the FT8 software couldn't find them (It all worked fine before Win 11 was installed).

So, with hope in my heart after installing the brand new first annual update for Win 11 this week, I gave it another try. Success! So, one or both of these two things may have been the solution:

1) Allowed the first annual Win 11 upgrade to proceed this week, and/or

2) followed the procedure of VA3MW, G6UJB, and WX7Y (running the .msi installer separately after installing SmartSDR v3.3.32). Installer location: C:\Program Files\FlexRadio Systems\FlexVSP\FlexVSPInstaller.msi.

Hope it works for you!

Jim, KJ3P

• KM4CQG
    KM4CQG Member ✭✭

I wish I had read this 1st B4 I had a new computer built.

My old Dell XPS has been acting up for the past 6 months. I decided to combine my racing Simulator computer to my Flex Radio. Now I’m wondering if I can after reading this thread.

Intel 9KF 64gb Ram graphics card is a 3080Ti. Running Windows 11.

So will the hopefully released soon Flex software fix this issue of Dax and Windows 11.

When is this planned release of SSDR supposed to happen.

Ian

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

The release of SmartSDR will take place when all testing has been done and it is deemed ready for general release. But, no exact date is given. There are some workarounds people have been using for the issues mentioned in this thread. Not everyone is experiencing the problem.

James

WD5GWY

• crutledge
    crutledge Member
    Is there any plan to update the dax drivers to be compatible with Windows 11 22H2 Core Isolation protection?
  • KM4CQG
    KM4CQG Member ✭✭

Interesting it’s not just SSDR struggling with the Core Isolation issue.

After receiving the new computer there are many Core Isolation program issues being effected.

The DAX drivers needed a rework anyway and hopefully will repair the old DAX focus issue.

Ian

• AE2A
    AE2A Member ✭✭

Windows 11 has been around for more than a year with no new DAX updates. that's just slow response!

• Scott - WM7C
    Scott - WM7C Member ✭✭
    edited July 2023

Will drivers be updated to allow Core isolation to be turned back on? Windows 11 was released in October of 2021.

• N0NY
    N0NY Member
    I have same issue-as Scott WM7C above- brand new HP laptop Win11 - new software 3.5.8 - suggestions to fix the issue and./or remove the drivers (I bought this machine to use for my Flex6300 since my other laptop was 13 years old and had audio issues!) Grrr
  • bd6rn
    bd6rn Member ✭✭

v3.5.9 smartlink still not connect....,and ur?

• Jack6600
    Jack6600 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2023

3.5.9 will NOT install on my W11 shack computer. It will install on my W10 Laptop. When I clicked on debug, it eventually launched Visual Studio 2022 and tried to launch a debuger. I Immediately closed it. I reverted back to 3.5.8

not

• Mark NS9N
    Mark NS9N Member ✭✭

Version 2.10.1 will not install on my Window 11 machine. Latest version running is V2.9.2. The download of 2.10.1 appears to have working correctly, I open the file to install and I get all the right pop up screens until I hit the final button to start the install and then the prompt window disappears and nothing is installed.

Any help would be appreciated.

• You could try the solution used for 3.5.9 and see if it works

• W4AFK Bruno
    W4AFK Bruno Member ✭✭
    edited September 2023

I had the same problem with computers where we forced Windows 11. In other words, this was on a Win 10 computer that did not meet the Win 11 requirements for the CPU and for security. We got around this by returning to Windows 10.

I have two Win 11 desktops which are running SmartSDR without any problem. One to manage a Flex 6400 using 2.10.1 and one to manage another Flex 6400 running 3.5.9.

The issue I had with the older computer was after I side-loaded Windows 11 on a computer which had a 4th generation Intel CPU and did not support the current core isolation.

• I'm unable to install SmartSDR on my Windows 11 Pro system also. The installer shuts down instantly upon trying to run it. There are no error messages, just a note of the failed installation in the event log. I am upgrading from 3.2.39 that installed on my machine when I was running Windows 10 Pro. I will wait a little bit since I do not use SmartLink.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

Try running it using the compatibility mode as WINDOWS 8, This is a VERY common issue with Version 3.5.9 and 2.10.1.

• Juergen
    Juergen Member ✭✭

Tried to install version 3.5.9 on a new Dell notebook with W11. It failed because of incompatible drivers which force me to switch off a key security feature of W11. Question to the moderator: when can we expect to get an update which is not forcing us to do so? I understand that version 3.5.9 had to be released pretty fast but the problem should be fixed asap now.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

We are aware of the Windows 11 requirement. At this time, I do not have a timeframe yet.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.