Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Need more interlocks or coordination for Flex 6000, PGXL and TGXL users.

Dave K5OZ
Dave K5OZ Member ✭✭
edited January 2023 in New Ideas

Hello Flex,

I read that the latest versions of TGXL (1.1.16) and PGXL (3.7.28) have more coordination; however, It does not coordinate the Flex radio, PGXL and TGXL fully.

Examples:

1). If you turn on the PGXL (to operate) you need to automatically turn off the Flex 6xxx ATU (put in by-pass)

2). If you turn on the PGXL and have a TGXL you need to automatically turn on the TGXL (to operate). If your Antenna does not need a tuner, the TGXL already has the built-in bypass for those frequencies.

I am hoping the next Flex firmware version will accommodate the above coordination of the trio.

Thanks

Dave

2 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Dave K5OZ
    Dave K5OZ Member ✭✭

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Thanks Dave

I passed it on.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if you have the TGXL or ANY higher power external auto tuner why on earth would you ever need or use the built in Radio Tuner?

Maybe I'm missing somthing but I haven't used my built in Tuner more then 2 times since 2013 when I bought my 6700 and always use the External tuner rather it be the AT-Auto, HF-Auto, LDG, MFJ or TGXL auto tuners.

• Dave K5OZ
    Dave K5OZ Member ✭✭

Bret, two reasons:

1). I don’t always use my TGXL and PGXL and they remain in standby so they don’t “burn-in” the screens. If they had automatic dimming in operate mode I probably would just leave them in operate.

2). I let other hams use my station and I don’t trust them yet to operate the PGXL/TGXL combo because SmartSDR doesn’t have control of the TGXL yet.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

Okay I see, On my PGXL the screen on mine goes off after a few minutes by itself and the TGXL has a screen brightness control that I have turned down almost all the time.

I am not sure the screens used in the TGXL or PGXL suffer from burn in, at least after 4 years on the PGXL and 2 years for the TGXL of constantly being powered on I have not seen any burn in problem.

As far as your option 2 at least for the AMP I can see not letting just anyone use it, BUT from your earler post, if SmartSDR had control for both the PGXL and the TGXL wouldn't you still have problems with your trusting users to operate them?

Anyway running a shared station does require a lot of trust and responsability and should not be taken lightly and everyone has to decide for them selves how to operate it securly and to protect their Equipment.

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

I agree with Dave, it would make sense to force ATU by-pass on any connected 6xxx radio when either PGXL or TGXL is in Operate mode. I would suggest take it a step or two further and consider if the operator has both PGXL and TGXL or just one of them.

Operator has both PGXL and TGXL powered on:

• if either PGXL or TGXL is in Operate mode, force ATU to by-pass and disable the ATU button (gray out)
    • if one is in Operate mode and the other is in StandBy mode, force ATU to by-pass and disable the ATU button (gray out)
    • if both PGXL or TGXL are in StandBy mode, enable ATU button allowing operator to use ATU as normal.

Operator has just PGXL only powered on:

• if PGXL is in Operate mode, force ATU to by-pass and disable the ATU button (gray out)
    • if PGXL is in StandBy mode, enable ATU button allowing operator to use ATU as normal.

Operator has just TGXL only powered on:

• if TGXL is in Operate mode, force ATU to by-pass and disable the ATU button (gray out)
    • if TGXL is in StandBy mode, enable ATU button allowing operator to use ATU as normal.

As per Bret WX7Y: You are correct and as a seasoned operator you would know not to use the internal tuner if you have an external tuner or before an amplifier, but the way the firmware sits now, an operator can mistakenly hit ATU or some 3rd party application could engage it. Implementing these changes can avoid any operator error of this sort from happening.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

yep all good idea's, but complecated for the users. if we had MULTIPULE User logins this could all be Automated with a users permissions list much like RCForb has done for over10 years now.

But we can Always dream can't we

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

A little off topic but I think this would be the BEST way to handle remote users and would be great if Flex implemented something like this, Here is some screen grabs from my RCForb server using a OLD Flex3000 HF radio remote handles things like this topic.

If your not familiar with RCForb ( http://www.remotehams.com/ ) it is a Windows or Android remote HF/VHF interface for users and server owners. To even start out on it they have to send a copy of their license then they ask the owner to add them as a User for access to the Remote, TX privileges and Separate hardware is also required by the Remote Owner to allow access.

RCForb interfaces to the Radio just like ANY OTHER sound card Program and the last I checked it was still free.

When I run it on my 6700 It uses a 2nd slice so it doesn't interfere with my other activities using SmartSDR.

Right now I RCForb doesn't support the PGXL, TGXL or AntGenius in the Native Flex format but they might (haven't tried) using RS-232 CAT command structure to Emulate something that could OR maybe DDUTIL could add support BUT FLEX could certainly build something that would give us better security and remote owners better control of their equipment and the users.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Bret, you are a life saver! I have been able to run remote using my computer and SmartLink since I first got my 6400 nearly 3 years ago, but I have not had any luck operating remotely with my Android cell phone. Using RCForb for the audio and fine tuning and TeamViewer for the panadapter and waterfall (coarse tuning), I finally have a viable way to operate when all I have available is my phone.

Thanks for bringing this app to light! Now when I am stuck somewhere waiting for something or someone, I will be able to get on the air. I am really happy with the reasonably low latency of the audio.

I just got it set up and working, so this hasn't been in the field yet, but I will probably get a chance to test it out in the wild this weekend.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.