Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Win 11 Core Isolation Incompatible Drivers

Gary NC3Z
Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
edited September 2022 in SmartSDR for Windows

Installed SSDR v3.3.32 on a new Win 11 Install and Windows Security started to balk. Getting errors on compatibility for Core Isolation.

Funny that the only other device giving me issues is the $20 chinese RTL-SDR dongle, but I will toss that.

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Gary, I would submit a helpdesk ticket for this one.

• Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭

OK, but was hoping the Community would be of some help.

• Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭

I've been really busy this last week or I would have mentioned this exact same thing on my new Windows 11 Pro X64 computer. What caused the Blue or green screen of death regularly with page faults on the windows 10 workstations is causing the memory security protection to flake out on the new computer. I found it the same way, noticed the flags on the windows security application. While not a cure by any means selecting the dismiss button will turn off the alert. Suspect it is going to take a lot of driver rewriting to finally fix these issues.

Sincerely,

Erika Ostlund K0DD

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭

Not sure if you are aware of this or not but you can turn Core Isolation memory Integrity off.

• Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭

Yes perfectly aware, but why would I want to do this?

• Rex K0KP
    Rex K0KP Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022

Having the exact same problem here. Filed a trouble ticket on August 28 but no response from Flex. Emailed a few days later as a reminder and still no response on this issue. Not sure what is going on.

The "lost" trouble ticket was nr 53683 sent August 28, 2022. Not a word back even after reminder email. :-)

Thanks

• Rex K0KP
    Rex K0KP Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022

• Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭

The response I received from Flex this week is:

"There is a known software issue (J8210) with compatibility between the DAX drivers and the Core Isolation / Memory Integrity preventing the DAX Drivers from properly installing, or properly running."

• AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭

Are we waiting on new software to fix this?

It is broken on windows 11 22H2 Sept 2022 upgrade.

• John Mikucki
    John Mikucki Member ✭✭

@AA0KM Almost surely waiting on new software from Flex. Much like the NEC, Windows' 'building code' continues to evolve to improve reliability, security, etc. A bit out of my depth here, but I think of it like better/more-provable bounds checking and enforcement (Windows prevents driver from painting outside its lines). This will likely require at least a recompile, and more likely rewriting some parts depending on what sort of clever-and/or-quick'n'dirty things Flex did when they wrote it. Not to ding Flex, I haven't seen their driver source nor would I be qualified to opine on it. Just tech debt that comes along with sustaining a software system over a longer period of time, and the ongoing tension between paying it down and building new product/features.

• AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭

10-03-2022 ALMOST THERE with V3.3.33 only driver issue so far.

• AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

@AA0KM I would submit a helpdesk ticket. Flex support has probably seen this before and should be able to guide you to a solution.

• AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭

Once Core Isolation is turned off you can not go back. It protects the drivers into VM.

It will flag if turned off and back on again. I have a clean install. Had fingers crossed but it didnt work.

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭

I just got the same message re: Memory Integrity on all the DAX, etc. drivers -- running 2.8.1 so I don't think the problem has been resolved.

• John K0TG
    John K0TG Member ✭✭

I had the same problem loading DAX on a new WIN 11 PC. I contacted Windows Tech and they found a registry change that turns that off. In my case, even though I had Admon rights, it would not let me toggle that.

Look here for my post for the details: SmartSDR installations on Windows 11 — FlexRadio Community

73, John K0TG

• Is there a fix for this (As at late Jan 2023) or is the current solution to turn Core Isolation off?

• Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭

The only solution I was given is to turn off the core isolation protection.

• David Otto
    David Otto Member ✭✭
    The micaudiodax.sys driver from SmartSDR 3.3.33 will not load with "memory integrity" toggled on in Windows 11 Security settings. There may be other drivers too. This is a defect in the Flex software, and I've reported the problem directly to Flex. It's supposedly a high priority problem that will be corrected in the next version. We'll see, but I see it as a problem, since I'd like to keep 'memory integrity' toggled on.
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭

Still broke for DAX drivers.

I Guess Core isolation in 3.4.21 is not fixed.

Flagged on 2 computers now.

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

Sad.........

• Dave_WB1S
    Dave_WB1S Member ✭✭

I think the drivers should be rewritten to be complaint with core isolation. Sounds like a big task but you don't want the Kernel exposed. I think Windows is just catching up with Unix and Linux protecting the Kernel. In windows, kernel stops often become a BSOD. I read something saying possible way around it is to have core isolation on and run SmartSDR in VM, but I'm no expert. I do know that SDRplay drivers have the same issue. FYI, Core Isolation can be toggled on or off in Win10 and Win11. I have both running ver 22H2 but core Iso has to be off for now.

• rdwing
    rdwing Member ✭✭

Any progress on this? Just fresh installed W11 Pro on a Ryzen 5900x based system with full enhanced hardware security support. Tried to install flex smartsdr and was blocked by memory integrity.

This is going to become a bigger problem as time goes on, as all modern processors support VT-d and VBS (virtualization based security) and W11 is defaulting to enabling these sorely needed features.

FWIW, the SDRplay RSP has been running just fine with memory integrity enabled.

• Remo
    Remo Member ✭✭

try to install newest Version of SmartSDR 3.4.24 today. Information micaudiodac.sys cannot be loaded due to core isolation memory integrity feature of Windows 11.

is there a workarround or do I need to open a ticket by flex?

Regards,

Remo es HB9SHD

• k80user
    k80user Member, Unconfirmed
    Still not fixed in 3.6.8
  • Bill NE1B
    Bill NE1B Member ✭✭✭

Maybe it will be fixed in 3.7.x ?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.