Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Crash when attempting remote access via Smartlink

Options

I am helping a neighbour ham test his Smartlink set up . When I use Smartlink to try connect to him , I see his 6400 listed as “available “ . When I press “connect “ , at my end I get a “Smartsdr has lost connection to the radio “ message . At the other end my neighbour’s 6400 crashes . Any suggestions for a solution ?

Andy K3UK

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Andy, When you say that the radio crashes, is there a blinking pattern on the LED in the power button? What version of the software is being used? What network equipment is at each end? Do you know if your neighbor is using Carrier Grade Network Address Translation (CGNAT)? This could be something like StarLink.

If he is not on version 2.4.10, 2.8.1 or 3.3.33, then I would first upgrade to one of these first. Your SmartSDR and his radio version need to match. If your own Flex is on a different version, that is OK, you can have more than one version installed at the same time. Just start the SmartSDR version that matches his radio.

If this is not a version issue, you might want to send the answers to these questions to Flex in the form of a help desk ticket. Flex support has long experience in networking these radios.

• Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Len, we are both using Smartsdr 3.3.33 . His internet is via Spectrum cable . I will ask about what lights he experiences on the 6400.

Andy K3UK

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Andy, I think that Spectrum Cable uses CGNAT which prevents SmartLink from working. To get around the problem, I think that you would need to set up a VPN. This is not my area of expertise, so hopefully someone with more knowledge will jump in here.

• Andrew O'Brien
    Options

but I have same ISP and Smartlink worked right out of the box .

Andy K3UK

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited October 2022
    Options

I am helping a neighbour ham test his Smartlink set up . When I use Smartlink to try connect to him , I see his 6400 listed as “available “ . When I press “connect “ , at my end I get a “Smartsdr has lost connection to the radio “ message . At the other end my neighbour’s 6400 crashes . Any suggestions for a solution ?

This tells me that the data communications got really backed up and slow. At least, that is what I have seen from time to time. It may be an ISP or router issue. Just a thought.

The other idea is if the computer is somehow very busy doing stuff.

• Andrew O'Brien
    Options

The issue has been escalated to a ticket at Flex since his 6400 is not connecting to his router directly from 6400 via ethernet cable. Smartlink is seeing his WAN IP but no local LAN seen. Other devices connected to the router's ports are working well, all except the Flex. SmartLink connects from his PC to my 6400 OK.

Andy K3UK

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

If it is seeing one and not the other, my guess is he has 2 unique subnets or a firewall issue on his computer.

Range extenders and Mesh WiFi networks can cause this if not operated in Bridge mode.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.