Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Brand new AG - power plug doesn't fit?

n8wrl
n8wrl Member ✭✭

Just took delivery of my AG this week. Sat down last night to get it hooked up and configured. The power plug it came with doesn't fit - it's as if the center pin is too big. Spec is 2.1x5.5mm - I've tried several others with the same result.

Has anyone else encountered this?

I've logged a support ticket...

Thanks, and 73!

-Brian n8wrl

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Brian

a support ticket is the way to go. I did not have that issue but have had my AG for almost two years.

Just a point of reference- center pin is positive

Dave wo2x

• David Decoons, wo2x

Also current draw is rated at 330 mA and they recommend a 1 amp fuse inline.

• David Decoons, wo2x

Thanks for the update Brian - in case others run into same problem.

Dave wo2x

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭

Hi Brian,

Why not just replace the connector on the existing power supply cable?

• n8wrl
    n8wrl Member ✭✭

Thanks for the response. Geoff! That's what I'm going to do. I was puzzled, though, because of the published specs and the cable supplied with the switch didn't fit. Was there something wrong with the switch? Turns out no, just a change in manufacturing got ahead of the docs and the included accessories.

So now I am going to swap out the connector.

73!

-Brian n8wrl

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭

Great, I'm happy to hear that you have a straightforward solution.

Oh well, that happens and it is difficult to keep the docs current especially if the supplier doesn't inform you of a change in hardware.

Good luck with the swap.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Sorry about the change. It was a surprise for us at well.

• n8wrl
    n8wrl Member ✭✭

Mike please do update the product description. As of 8/20/22 it says

• "Requires 13.8-VDC power supply (2.1mm x 5.5mm)

Next it also says

• Power Consumption: 13.8-VDC @ 300mA.

Perhaps that needs to be updated to reflect wo2x's notes?

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭

The one problem I see with the power cable on Amazon is that it is only 6 feet long. I would definitely need one about 20 to 25 feet long. I guess I would have to get a specialty cable made.

Mark Griffin, KB3Z

• David Decoons, wo2x

Order the connectors and make your own or order the cable from Amazon and splice it to extend. Don’t forget fuse protection.

I use a RigRunner 4005 with appropriate sized fuses for my low current stuff. Radio power cable direct to power supply.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.