Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Noise in CW RX

Hi All

Just a strange one I came across today, On my 6500 running v3.3.29 I normally just monitor 6m FT8 and to be honest most times I have the audio muted,
Today I was listening for a CW contact on 6m and there was terrible crackling on the RX audio, I switched to my Dummy Load and it was still there,

I found that if I backed the AGC-T off the noise went away, I don't have the AGC-T that high but should this happen,

It is not a setting that I adjust that often and I don't really understand the science behind it but did set it as per some videos that are often mentioned here,

Thanks
Trevor
EI2GLB
Tagged:

Answers

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

Hi Trevor, from my limited experience with Flex: I had once the snap, crackle, pop problem and was advised to clear the persistence database which I did and which cured the issue. See here

How to Reset the Persistence Database for a FLEX-6000 – FlexRadio

Snap, Crackle, and Pop — FlexRadio Community

Someone else may respond and advise more knowledgeably so wait and see.

BTW: I do set AGC-T on band changes to optimise the receiver. I find the setting doesn't vary much per band so doing so isn't too onerous. It does ensure AGC is actioning only on signals and not the band noise. I tend to find this is more critical on CW than it is on FT8.

• EI2GLB
    EI2GLB Member ✭✭
    Hi Erik

Thanks for the reply I did a bit more investigating and it is there on SSB as well, but only when I have the RX EQ turned on, If I turn it off or set everything to 0db it goes away,

I am trying the reset now and will see how that works,

Thanks
    Trevor
    EI2GLB
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

This may be a bandwidth/eq situation If the eq is boosting frequencies near or beyond the set bandwidth. Just something to check.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.