Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to increase transmit power when running Winlink.

When I have CAT, DAX and the VARA sound card software setup and running for best audio level, (about 1/2 of ALC limit) I have less than 2 watts output.

How do I keep the audio properly set but raise the power output?

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Jeff, What radio are you using? Are you using an amplifier?

• Jeff AA0ST
    Jeff AA0ST Member ✭✭

Sorry , I left out all of the details. I have a mini PC running Windows 10, a Flex 6600 and a PGXL but have not used the amplifier. I have struggled making connections and had thought of turning on the amp, I have not done so yet.

I can get up to 10 watts but then the audio is starting to hit the ALC limit.

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭

I run full 100 watts. Set audio level so not in red. Works well. I occasionally use amp at 500 watts. No problem. Don’t use ALC in any way. I use both Winlink VARA HF and FM.

• KD0RC

Ah, OK, but where do you see ALC? I think any instructions that mention ALC are for analog radios. For the Flex, you should pay attention to the audio level. Just make sure that it does not go into the red when you transmit. Adjust the DAX TX Stream to put the peak indicator somewhere around 5 dB below the 0 dB mark and you should get full power out of your rig (or whatever you set the RF Power slider to).

• Jeff AA0ST
    Jeff AA0ST Member ✭✭

Thanks for all the responses. I may have mis-spoken when I said ALC because that is the example in the VARA set up. I suppose I should have used "Audio Level" Like in you picture KD0RC. I seem to have better luck when the level is about halfway up, but now you are saying "just stay out of the red."

I will set the DAX TX gain to 100% and use the VARA soundcard set up window to pull the audio down out of the red using the test button and the slide bar on the set up window.

I will report back and let everyone who has helped my what my results are.

Jeff

• Hi Len,

Thanks for the good advice. I was confused about this but thanks to you I am now running 100 W.

Larry
    K9ZBU
  • KD0RC

Hi Larry, glad to hear it!

• Jeff AA0ST
    Jeff AA0ST Member ✭✭

SUCCESS!

Thanks for the help. Now my only limitation is band conditions.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.