Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

TGXL Lack of tuning memories

Options
Bill AB7AA
Bill AB7AA Member ✭✭✭

I have owned the SO2R TGXL for several months now and for me it is nothing more than a semi-automatic tuner. It has to be re-tuned for each new frequency that I work on. The lack of sufficient memories is the limiting factor.

I operate as a casual CW/SSB contester, maritime service nets, and MARS/Shares requiring frequencies outside of the ham bands. The TGXL has demonstrated that it has insufficient memories to handle stretching a dipole over this much bandwidth, even though it can match up to 10:1 SWR. Therefore I wind up having to re-tune every time I QSY. Imagine having a hi-end tuner skimped on for a few dollars for memory. Even MFJ gets this right. My MFJ-998 has thousands of memories and can make all of HF instantly available. The very reason you need wide SWR matching is defeated by the lack of memories.

If Flex decides that they need to address the above issue, then they may want to look at the limitation of the SO2R version memorizing only one antenna per band per channel also. SPE handles this in software. A separate form can program each antenna and then a small button on the operating software can toggle between up to 3 different antennas for each band. Of course this assumes that I have manually selected the proper antenna to match the software selection, but the TGXL and PGXL were designed with lighting fast protection if I don't. What's the difference if I didn't select the proper antenna, or plug it in to begin with? I also know that adding the 4O3A AG alleviates this limitation, but this is a 1K$ hardware solution to a software problem. Again, the lack of memory may be the limitation.

Bill

Comments

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited September 2021
    Options

The tuner has 10 memories per antenna, per amateur band. 160 meters is 20 memories per antenna. This should be sufficient to tune your antenna on the amateur bands. My worst band for SWR is 80 meters. I start at 3.525 MHz and tune, then repeat every 50 kHz up the band. That gives 10 memories to cover the band.

With the SO2R tuner it is designed to support up to 4 antennas per band using the 4O3A 2x8 switch. The 1x3 Tuner Genius is 3 antennas per band using internal antenna switch.

For frequencies outside the amateur bands you need to hit the tune button. The band/memory is not set up for MARS/SHARES.

I use Node Red to talk to the 6600m, Power Genius XL, and Tuner Genius and that allows antenna selection from a web browser. It also recognizes the command from N1MM+ to step through antennas available on that band with antenna selection sent back to N1MM+ for displaying in call entry window.

Also keep in mind with most tuners, including the Tuner Genius, at higher SWR the tuner maximum power handling is de rated, meaning you cannot run legal limit. Just a reminder ;-)

73 Dave wo2x

• Bill AB7AA
    Bill AB7AA Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Dave,

Thanks for the info. I am going to have to get in to Node Red to control a number of accessories for the shack.

However, the TGXL memory issue still prevails. I have tuned a few frequencies for MARS/SHARES well outside the ham bands and it retained those match in memory. Where did it get the memory to do that? It would nice if there where enough memory available to rely on it. Most other tuners do.

Bill

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.