Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PGXL Communications with LAN

The PGXL has to have power cycled most mornings before it will see the radio.

This amp also has locked up in transmit but with no output. I have to cycle power to clear this condition. The front panel switch or the utility will not fix it.

My LAN switch shows all green lights except the port for the amp.

I have tried changing ports and cables without success.

I believe the amp is using 10 mb LAN connection instead of 1GB.

Has anyone had this experience?

Robby/HP3SS

Answers

• Bill NE1B
    Bill NE1B Member ✭✭✭

I have not experienced that. I use a Trendnet Gigabit switch TEG-S80G between computer, 6600, PGXL and AG. I do leave the PGXL and 6600 powered 7x24 in Standby mode. No re-booting needed.

Bill, NE1B

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

We have seen this before, and it solved by trying a different switch.

Not all switches are the same and for some reason, some switches do not pass all traffic. I have a few switches that, well, just **** and I found them by running tests through them using LanSpeedTest. All those got adjusted by my 25 ton log spitter. It is nice seeing electronics die a quick death.

If you can order one, try getting a TP-Link SG-108. It is RF quiet and comes in a metal case.

• Robby
    Robby Member ✭✭

Thanks Mike.

I just tried a speed test through the switch to Toronto Canada. Download 251.91 Mbps and upload 4.7 Mbps. Ping 99 ms. Probably better than you can get. I used the cable from the amp to connect from my PC to the switch. My LAN has good quality cables. I stole them from the government of Canada.

I have been using this switch with various equipment for years. It is also in a metal case and seems to work well with 3 PCs and the 6400 connected. And also 100 foot CAT6 cable over the roof to the router at the other end of the house.

The amp does communicate but not always reliable. I would like to see all the ports display a green LED.

I have a D-Link DGS-108. It costs double the TP-Link SB-108 but they appear to be very similar. Possibly from the same factory in China.

It says on the case that green is 1GB and orange is 10/100 MB. It is not a bad port or cable. That leaves the amp.

I have to cycle power on the PGXL at least once per day.

It is not a show stopper but it is a nuisance. A 50% refund would make it all better.

Robby

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

This is not a speed issue, it is a lost packets issue and the diagnostics are different. I bet if you run ping overnight to the PGXL, you won't see the problem.

Dropped TCP packets will get resent. UDP packets disappear but we use Vita49 UDP packets on a LAN as they are faster.

Smart or 'Green Ethernet' switches are problematic. Does your DGS-108 do 'Green Ethernet' power saving?We highly recommend disabling anything with Green Power saving in a home network.

Green Ethernet technology was a superset of the 802.3az standard. In addition to the link load power savings of Energy-Efficient Ethernet, Green Ethernet works in one of two ways. First, it detects link status, allowing each port on the switch to power down into a standby mode when a connected device, such as a computer, is not active. Second, it detects cable length and adjusts the power used for transmission accordingly. Standard switches provide enough power to send a signal up to 100 meters (330 ft).[9] However, this is often unnecessary in the SOHO environment, where 5 to 10 meters (16 to 33 ft) of cabling are typical between rooms. Moreover, small data centers can also benefit from this approach since the majority of cabling is confined to a single room with a few meters of cabling among servers and switches. In addition to the pure power saving benefits of Green Ethernet, backing off the transmit power on shorter cable runs reduces alien crosstalk, and improves the overall performance of the cabling system.

When the controlling software or firmware decides that no data needs to be sent, it can issue a low-power idle (LPI) request to the Ethernet controller physical layer PHY. The PHY will then send LPI symbols for a specified time onto the link, and then disable its transmitter. Refresh signals are sent periodically to maintain link signaling integrity. When there is data to transmit, a normal IDLE signal is sent for a predetermined period of time. The data link is considered to be always operational, as the receive signal circuit remains active even when the transmit path is in sleep mode.

I have a LAN cable that drops 1/2 of the UDP broadcasts that I found with LanSpeedTest. If I use that cable between the computer and the switch CW Skimmer crashes every time. It is the cable I give to friends at the cottage to limit their bandwidth consumption at the cottage.

• Robby
    Robby Member ✭✭

My question has not been answered to my satisfaction. I will open a ticket.

Robby

• Les Brown
    Les Brown Member ✭✭

Robby,

I don't know your exact issue, but I had a communication problem with the PGXL some time ago that got sorted out by disabling DHCP in the PGXL and setting up a fixed IP address.

73, Les VE3NNT

• Robby
    Robby Member ✭✭

Oh. Muy bien Les,

I will ask Tim to help me with that.

Gracias amigo

don Roberto

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.