Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Multi user remote operation ?

Can one 6400M and it's remote software be configured for up to 100 users? Some users will have receive only privilege and others will have up to extra class transmit authorization.

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Ike, this capability has been requested, but not yet implemented. I will be interested to see if v4 has this or some variant of it. I know that multi-user, multi-level security is a nightmare to implement and maintain, so I don't know how interested Flex is in doing this. Because these rigs are so easy to remote, they would make great club stations if they just had a way to do multiple users.

Len, KD0RC

• Len, Thanks for your answer. We have a large Club (w3vpr.org) of 250 members and at least 100 want to use the remote. Without this feature we will not be able to use a couple of FLEX radios at our Club house which has 4 operating positions and a couple of towers dedicated to HF.
  • Bill AB7AA
    Bill AB7AA Member ✭✭✭

I think that something could be done through Teamviewer. It might allow many to listen to one freq all together such as a net, and then allow one at a time to transmit.

Bill AB7AA

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

This is the reason we don’t have a flex at the club station. Someone was developing a node red product for this but I can’t find the thread.

• John K3MA
    John K3MA Member ✭✭

You can use a free software product called RCForb. Find it here. www.remotehams.com

It can be configured with the operator controls you outlined in your post. It can be configured with Flex radios. I have used it off and on for over 4 years. There is a Windows client and a Android client. No Apple client. Rotor control, amplifier control and some antenna switching controls can be configured with some hardware. The downside is no panadapter and the need for a pc to run the server software at the radio site.

Certainly it would be nice to have a Flex/SmartSDR solution but you could use this product and be up and running within a few hours.

John K3MA

• Thanks to everyone for your answers. We currently use the RemoteHams.com system (RCFob) and it works well. We have money in our Club's 2021 budget to upgrade the system but it appears FLEX Radios are not the answer, at least at this time.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

The Problem with RCForb using a 6300 or 6400 is it uses BOTH slices of the radio so if you as the owner want to run SmartSDR/SmarLINK to the radio then you have to terminate the RCForb connection or the Connection on the Server and when you exit out of your remote session with out a SmartSDR session running RCForb will terminate anyway.

If RCForb had a GOOD set of CAT commands for the 6000 series that DIDN'T use up a Slice you would still have 1 slice to use for your SmartSDR users with the 6300 or 6400 radios.

I have been trying to get this to work for several days and using the FLEX Legacy it works but with VERY limited CAT commands that actually work on the 6300.

A 6500, 6600 or 6700 would be a much better radio to run as remote but who has that kind of $ to spend on a remote Radio.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.