Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Audio choppiness or dropouts using Smartlink

I have basic wireless configuration consisting of Flex 6500, Xfinity modem/router, and a TP-link AX1800 wireless router. If I connect to either the Xfinity or AX-1800 I get audio dropouts or choppiness. The waterfall stops momentarily, so it appears to be loss of incoming data to the iPad. This fails on iPhone, iPad and Mac using DogPark. My network seems to be robust since to can video stream Youtube, Zoom sessions for hours and no issues. If I use ethernet to Windows in the shack there is never a problem. Attached is the network configuration, I could not upload the audio clip.

Thanks for any ideas where to look. Brian, W9HLQ

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Brian,

The streaming video works because it is buffered. Buffering means latency. For video, a few seconds is no problem. For real-time applications like remote ham radio, that kind of latency is a disaster. In your setup, the likely culprit is WiFi. If you have any way to use ethernet cabling, you will have far fewer problems. If you can't teasonably get around that, then you might need a better WiFi solution. Is your WiFi running on the 2.5 GHz or 5 GHz band? Most ISP provided modems use 2.5 GHz, so you are in contention for bandwidth with your neighbors and any other wireless stuff in your house. If you can get a good 5 GHz router, that MIGHT solve your problem. I say might because there may be some other factor on the way.

One other thing to try is to reduce the speed of the waterfall and reduce the frame rate of the panadapter.

Best of luck solving this.

Len, KD0RC

• Brian_W9HLQ
    Brian_W9HLQ Member ✭✭

Hello Len,

Thanks for your reply. I run at 5 GHz on both wireless routers. I also am in same room as the router so signal strength is not a problem. The iPad requires wifi, of course, so I am pursuing a wifi solution. I am thinking I have network congestion but I am the only user so don't know why that could be the cause. I might go for 10 minutes with no trouble then the choppiness commences. It will last for 45 seconds or so and then go away. I did shut down all applications in the iPad and the Mac with no difference. I might try to learn about a network monitor so I can see what is going on.

If I solve the problem, I will post it here for others.

73, Brian W9HLQ

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭

Try using one of the many WiFi analyzers available for smart phones and monitor your WiFi RF environment. I have seen neighbours' 5G Wifi signals jump up in signal strength periodically and cause me issues. I managed to avoid things like this by monitoring over time, and setting a 5G channel that was not used by competing users.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Try bringing iOS app up at Low Data Rate. It’s an option in the SmartSDR for iOS app. See what happens.

• John K3MA
    John K3MA Member ✭✭

You also need to be concerned with bufferbloat. See previous posts on this forum and regarding IQRouter.

You can check you level of bufferbloat with this site.

John K3MA

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.