Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Please add CW Beacon function to CWX

Andrew Thall
Andrew Thall Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in New Ideas
I would really like to have a beacon function in CWX.  I know others have suggested that I use N1MM software but I already have a great logging program and I don't need contesting software.  It should be a relative easy thing to add to CWX and it would make my operation much more enjoyable -- I like the ability to call CQ without having to hover over the mouse to keep calling until someone answers.

Comments

• Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Using my finger operated F key, over and over, for CQ on 15m I found out the band was open despite the bleak sf numbers. It worked but pretty much stopped me from doing other things at my ham shack desk. I think PSDR had beacon ability. It sure would be nice to have in a future SSDR release.
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Serious CW ops expect this type of functionality.  I'm coming from a K3 and I had the ability to push a button and call CQ repeatedly.  The K3 has a very nice CW macro facility built onto the front panel.  It would be nice to be able to program one of the F buttons on the /M models for a repeat function. I am using two F buttons to send my call and TU 5NN.   
  • VK3QB
    VK3QB Member
    I agree... having recently migrated from an IC7610. Te Flex is better in every respect... except this one. What is the process for Flex to include in the SSDR development/enhancement program? Otherwise... as already I already stated, I'm glad I made the shift. (Please Flex... add a beacon mode to CWX)
  • valery121
    valery121 Member
    I agree, because on similar platforms we do hardware embadded and software . together with https://aduk.de/ similar things
  • Andrew Thall
    Andrew Thall Member ✭✭

Frankly, the reluctance of Flex to add the CW beacon mode is one of the reasons I now have a K4D on order. They are MUCH more CW friendly. The Flex 6500 is a FANTASTIC radio but it is NOT cw friendly and I'm a cw op. I wish Flex NOTHING but success.

Andy, k2oo

• Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin

Is the request here to just allow a CWX macro to be repeated indefinitely (until interrupted)?

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Eric, I would like to see a few CW message features implemented as embedded control strings.

1. $R - Repeat indefinitely (until interrupted).
    2. $Dnnnnn - Delay nnnnn milliseconds. (Mostly to be used with $R).
    3. $Mycall - A settable variable that can be placed anywhere in a message. This will help club, special event and contest stations so you don't have to change every instance of a call sign in messages.
    4. *xx...* - Prosign generator. Any combination of characters between the asterisks will be run together (e.g. *AS* *SK*).
    5. $N - Send next serial number. Would need an easy way to back up one number. Would need an easy way to set next serial. Set next to one starts a new contest.
    6. $Snnn - Set CW speed.
    7. $SD - Set CW speed back to speed as set by the Speed control.

There may be other items that folks want, but these are the ones that I have incorporated into a homebrew keyer. The control characters could be anything, these are just the ones that I used. I would also LOVE to see the CWX messages honor the breakin function. If breakin is not active, clicking F1 - F12 should be heard on the sidetone, but not actually transmit (i.e. same behavior as the paddles).

Thanks for your consideration & 73,

Len, KD0RC

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭

One thing not mentioned in "Beacon Mode" is the power change between un-CW long dashes then a reset to full power at the end.

This request is for a radio based script capability with many non CW parts. A beacon mode would be a good sample application due to the complex requirements. For field day (2M usage) I wanted to call CQ in CW, SSB, RTTY and now FT-x all within the same transmission and ends manually or on a squelch break. That was a program but an in-radio script would be a better option.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.