Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex Radio DMR Channel 30234

Mike-VA3MW
Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
edited December 2020 in Amateur Radio Interests
Hi All

Someone suggested a DMR Talk Group that maybe we can leverage for some help for others.

For those that want to give it a try, add a TG of 30234.  

If the channel is kept active for 60 days, we can petition to have the TG named at a Flex TG.

Maybe if you are someone that sits in the shack with a Zumspot or a Shark RF Openspot, you can add a digital contact for Group 30234.

2 of us tested it out.  So far, so good.

Mike

Answers

• Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    OK, What is a DMR Channel? Also, what is a Zumspot or a Shark RF Openspot?
    Have never heard of them.
    **** again.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited June 2020
    DMR is a VHF or UHF digital modulation scheme like DSTAR or Yaesu's System Fusion (C4FM).  

You need a DMR Radio (usually handheld) and that will communicate via RF to a Hotspot (or a DMR Repeater).

http://www.dmrfordummies.com/talkgroups/

Mike

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    You don;t even need a DMR Radio..

I use a DMR Dongle  and the free but excellent Blue DV software on my laptop to access both DMR and DSTAR with a heck of a lot of less screwing around with programming than any DMR or DSTAR Radio..  I work the local DMR Nets regularly with no issue and better audio than most radios.

https://smile.amazon.com/DVMEGA-DVstick-30-Dstar-DMR/dp/B07DM9XVNW/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=DMR+dongle&qid=1592254564&sr=8-3 
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks Mike, No DMR radio or handheld here.
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Tnx Howard. Just looked at the info on Amazon. way above my smart level.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    edited June 2020
    Hi Howard

I wanted to start our own TG, but I did some research and you have to 'hijack' a dead channel first.  Which is how we came up with 30299.  

After 60 days, showing some activity, we can then ask for it to be branded with the name of the TG. 

2 months from now it might show up.

3 of us just had a QSO on it.

Mike 
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Ok I worked VA3CW on it justneforeugoton
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The dongle is quite easy. If you can set up SSDR this is even easier. You plug the dongle into your computer. Load the blue DV software and you’re off and running
  • Mike-VA3MW
    edited June 2020
    Be nice to him, he is a friend of mine!  LOL  

He works for that other telecom company... The one that is Ted's competition. 

• Santiago Mejia HI8O
    Santiago Mejia HI8O Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I would love to try. Going there. 

73, Santiago
    HI8SMX
  • Santiago Mejia HI8O
    edited June 2020
    Would like to try, could you please share the TG information?

Santiago
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Flexradio-room would be easy to find on yaesu system. Too bad there isn’t one.
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Mike and Howard, I now have a working thumbDV , I will try to leave it monitoring on 30299 DMR channel.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    What software are you using with the ThumbDV?
  • Dale - AE6DS
    Dale - AE6DS Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Cannot answer for Dudley, but I am using BlueDV.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Using BlueDv Too
  • Santiago Mejia HI8O
    edited June 2020
    Thanks. It is complex for no reason. Nonetheless I did added it (apparently) and have called a couple of times with no answer and I am monitoring just in case.

Hopefully I can make contact with all of you.

Santiago
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hi Santigo,.  VA3CW, KN6HH and I were just on a few minutes ago.. 2PM Pacific
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Hi Howard, does your DMR dongle just connect to internet connected repeaters, or is it a small VHF/UHF transceiver? There are a lot of videos and other information on the TDMA aspect of DMR, but not much on operating or on the topology of it. 73, Len, KD0RC
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    My dongle does NOT need a Radio or a Wifi or DMR Hotspot.. it connects directly to the internet.  The Blue DV software directs the audio to the correct DMR server.. which in this case is 30299.

Basically the dongles are an AMBE encoder chip to encode the Audio needed for TDMA used in DMR. 

DMR was intended for Commercial Radios on a fixed set of channels which by its nature is NOT what Ham Radio is all about.  So any attempt to modify the radios/DMR  to make them ham friendly results in an unnecessarily complex process to change channels.  I constantly run into hams struggling to get their DMR radios programmed correctly..It's just too complex for most hams.. Most rely on a logal guru to program channels for them... which is hard to do right now with Covid-19.

What I love about the Dongle approach is that you totally avoid the complexity of programing the radios and the equally unnecessary expense of buying a radio.

I actually came up with the Dongle Approach for me because its virtually impossible to hit any DMR repeater from my house unless I have a beam and at least 100W (I have a mountain blocking VHF signals from here). But I wanted to participate in a DMR net so I found the dongles and BlueDV Software.. Much less expensive than buying a radio or a DMR hotspot and so much easier to set up and use.
  • Santiago Mejia HI8O
    edited June 2020
    Oh, seen that I must’ve missed you or not configured the TG correctly. Will check back later. Looking forward to speaking with the group.
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Thanks Howard, I appreciate the explanation. Len
  • Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Those of you, like myself, that purchased a ThumbDV device anticipating D-STAR with the Flex 6000 can plug that device into your PC and download the free BlueDV software mentioned by others.  That is all you need to run D-STAR, DMR, and Fusion.  I had three qso's on TG 30299 today.

Bob, KN4HH
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Howard,  yes running the BlueDV,   but not being able to get to 30299,  I must be doing something wrong..  :)  

Dudley
  • Santiago Mejia HI8O
    edited June 2020
    I haven't had any luck. Either I have something wrong or nobody was there the multiple times I've tried. 
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    That's because its not yet listed in the Brandmeister Master Server list.

In Blue DV ... go to the AMBE tab.. type in 30299

Hit the PTT button and it should be connected
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Not highly populated yet... likely need to start a net so everyone can test being there

So far my last heard list shows KN4HH, VA3CW, WA3IHV, N8RY and N6VS
  • Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Dudley, when using BlueDV in order to connect to a new Talk Group, you may have to go to the AMBE tab and type in 4000 and key up and then down.  You will hear a voice announcement "Not Linked".  Then select TG 30299 and key up once and you will be connected.  you must use this procedure each time you move to a different Talk Group.

Bob, KN4HH
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks Bob
    I did not know about the disconnect being needed.
    I usually just type in the TG # and then click PTT and it works
    But your way seems logical 
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Dudley

You should be able to check the Brandmeister Last Heard list to see if you are making it

https://brandmeister.network/?page=lh

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.