Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What's going on with the new maintenance release 3.1.12?

Bruce W6SFG
Bruce W6SFG Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I just received a maintenance release notification that reads: "May 14, 2020 SmartSDR v3.1.12" I've been running version 3.1.8.
So do I drop back to 3.1.12 or am I missing something?

Answers

• Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Bruce

3.1.8 is an older release 3.1.12 release they **** up the way they have these numbered.
    Thats why 3.1.8 appears the newer of the two. However its not I asked Tim to correct this and he did
    on 3.1.11 but apparently the person who coded it for version 3.1.12 messed up.

Ian
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2020
    What George said ;-)
  • Bob Needleman
    Bob Needleman Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Why is this confusing people?  Clearly "12" is greater than "8". So 3.1.12 would be the later version vs. 3.1.8.  (Or am I missing something?). 
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2020
    It is a problem of perception.  We see 3.18 more easily than 3.1.8.  When I version software, I decide ahead of time how many digits to have in each part of the version number, then use leading zeroes.  It keeps lists in order and eliminates this issue.  For example, I would do something like 3.001.08 or even 3.001.008.
    Len, KD0RC
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    So using that reasoning, the new version would look like v3.112   still looks like the latest.
  • Bob Needleman
    Bob Needleman Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Might be easier to understand by switching from the decimal point format to something else like a slash or dash (eg. 3-1-8  ->  3-1-12).
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2020
    I think you are missing what I am saying...  The zeroes provide more spacing. Single digits separated by dots often get run together.
    Len
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2020
    Must be the “new math”
  • jwinner
    jwinner Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I think we are trying to reinvent the wheel! Personally, I don't think changing the format is going to help all people. Just my opinion (which is cheap as everyone has a opinion)!
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    What Dave said about George:)
  • Rick N0VT
    Rick N0VT Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    12 may be greater than 8, but 1.8 is greater than 1.12 :-)
  • jwinner
    jwinner Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Subtract 1.8 from 1.12 and you have .4 more or newer :-)
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    The problem is the Maestro reading the version and putting the .8 above the .12
  • jwinner
    jwinner Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Yes, I noticed that also. That confused me also but figured it out.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020
    To try and explain the numbering scheme.

3 is the major version
    1 is the minor version
    12 is the build for that minor version. 

Not hard to figure out. No need for dashes. We just need to slow down and see the dots :-)
    Guess that is like slow down and smell the coffee!

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    This is all very strange to me so I'll chime in...

It is odd that folks can't see the decimal points, for example, people often refer to version 2.49 instead of 2.4.9. Personally i don't see what is so difficult about reading the actual version number. 

To paraphrase David, just read the darn number...
  • Bob Needleman
    Bob Needleman Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Us old farts can barely see the big "E" on the eye chart, let alone little decimal points!
    Bob K3AC
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2020
    Yeah but Flex has announced here, on their web site, and direct email to the people subscribed to the Flex Insider to install 3.1.12 to fix the SD card corruption. There should be no ambiguity as to which version you should have loaded. People are nit picking. Dave wo2x
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Is this "New Math"  or "Fake News" ?
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Re:  To paraphrase David, just read the darn number.

Hey, don't EVER accuse the general public, OR customers, of reading...
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    In my humble opinion, a version that was this important, deserved to be 3.2.0 Also, Dave, remember there is a whole community of users out there for whom English is not their mother tongue, so clarity from the get go is very welcome.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2020
    You all have too much time on your hands . . . Who cares what the version # as long as it works!!
  • Sherman Banks
    Sherman Banks Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The problem for me is that on the Maestro 3.1.8 defaults to the top of the version list and is highlighted as the one to use. 3.1.12 is second in the list. You have to manually select 3.1.12.  Before it would default to the latest version without having to manually select it.
  • DL4RCE
    DL4RCE Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Yes, that bothers me, top! :(
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    No this website is CNN free I hope.
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    There *is* a minor, but real, problem with Flex's version numbering.  Given a bunch of their version numbers, as on the Maestro startup screen or in a Windows directory, the normal alphanumeric sort does not give you a list that is correctly ordered by date.  And we naturally expect the newest release to be at the top on the display.

If Flex wants to use the simple alpha sort, they should be sure that the number text sorts correctly (by age). The easy way to do that (as KD0RC suggests) is to include enough leading zeroes in each sub-field. So 2.06.02, 2.06.03, ..., 2.06.10, 2.06.11, ... etc.

It's not rocket science, but it's a small thing that would make our lives better. :)

73 Martin AA6E
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    You people that are struggling to read the versions must have a heck of a time reading ip addresses...lol
  • Steve Smith
    Steve Smith Member
    edited May 2020
    It is Fake News Fox free
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    This is a classic example of letting tekkies handle consumer ergonomics. Complete with the smart comments and excuses. Have seen it many times in industry, and FLEX resistance to changing software at repeated consumer request is more of it.

The same attitude is also a major reason why excellent Linux has such a tiny share of the consumer market.
This discussion has been closed.