Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Transverter drive level change with v2.5.1

Mark K0JM
Mark K0JM Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I use a DEMi L432-28 transverter with my Flex 6700 for working satellites. The setup has been stable for nearly 2 years, through several versions of SmartSDR for Windows. I just upgraded to v2.5.1 and suddenly I need WAY more drive to get my transverter to full power. I'm reluctant to set the drive level too much higher until I understand what has changed and why.

Is there something in v2.5.1 that has changed the way the 6700 relates to the transverter? Has anyone else had a similar experience with this new version of SmartSDR?

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Have not seen this happen here, using a 6600 and Kuhne transverter. With the change in saving microphone profiles, etc., could the levels there be connected? 
  • Mark K0JM
    Mark K0JM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Possibly. I guess that's what I'm struggling to understand. But I have a Global Profile, and separate Transmit and Microphone Profiles, for each satellite. It doesn't seem to matter which satellite profile I pull up, power levels are low across the board. By resetting the Max Power (dBm) in the Transverter box under Radio Setup, I can get everything pushed up, but I'm worried that I will overdrive the transverter if I take it as far as it needs to go. I'm up to 3 dBm and it only drives to 90% output. Transverter spec is for 0 dBm drive.
  • Justin W4JTD
    Justin W4JTD Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I noticed this as well, after installing 3.0.27 , previously using 2.4.9. I have a bunch of different profiles that I was playing around with after the upgrade and noticed that with the power out slider at 100, I was getting like 25% power out from the DEMI L432-28. I played with the setting in the dBm box and had to go way above the DEMI spec of 0 dBm to get full power, like up to 15 dBm. I also was worried about overdriving the DEMI. Then I changed profiles to one of my basic Sat profiles with just one slice each on 2M and 70cm, and then power out was back to normal..... with 0 dBm setting. Since I had just had an episode of “operator error” where I blamed a basic mistake on my part on the new software, I assumed I was missing a setting someplace, and so many settings have migrated to different locations that I decided I’d just use that basic two slice profile and try to find the difference, but I haven’t had time to mess with it again since Thursday. I’ll be curious to see what anyone else has to say on this. Justin KL2D
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    v2.5.1  and ver. 3 including 3.0.27 now have the band tx settings form, I think this may be the differance your seeing from 2.4.9. This is found under settings/tx band settings. Also keep in mind that tx and mic profiles are now automatically saved as changes are made.

• Mark K0JM
    Mark K0JM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Yes, I've played with that, and it may be the crux of the problem. But it apparently has to be configured separately for each profile, which is a major pain in the backside. It also doesn't seem to have anything to do with the transverter output, which is still set in the Radio Settings box. It would be nice if there were some documentation on all of this, beyond a few sketchy release notes.
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Correct this will not control the dbm setting in transverter setup page but it will control the main screen power slider.
  • Mark K0JM
    Mark K0JM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I'm just about ready to go back to v2.4.9  It seems that levels necessary to drive the transverter change with every profile, every satellite. And now, half the time, the system refuses to operate full duplex, even when that parameter is clicked "on" at the bottom of the panadapter. I think the bottom line is that v.2.5.1 does not play well with transverters, and that the whole "instant memory" of transmitter settings is more trouble than it is worth.
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2020
    Mark,

Thanks for reporting this.  We'll be looking into this a bit closer based on your feedback and others.  For reference, this is in our system as #7593.
  • Mark K0JM
    Mark K0JM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Re: #7593 a possibly related issue: Intermittently, I cannot get the radio to operated in Full Duplex when using the transverter on UHF and the 6700 receiving on 2 meters. Even though the "FDX" is lit up at the bottom of the panadapter, the 2 meter receiver mutes when transmitting. I believe this is related to the fact that I can no longer save transmitter profiles in v2.5.1, or that one of my profiles became corrupted in the translation from v2.4.9, but I can sometimes fix it by loading a different transmit profile. Other times, the only fix seems to be to reboot everything -- both computer and 6700 -- from a cold start. Again, this is intermittent, so I can't provide anything more specific about how it happens. 
  • Mark K0JM
    Mark K0JM Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    After several months of not being an issue, with the up(?)grade to v.3.1.12 the fluctuating drive level issue is back. When I first installed v.3.1.12 I had to push the drive level up to 9 db to get full output from my transverter. Then yesterday, I had to pull it back to 2.5 db. Today, I restarted the system and had to set the transverter drive to 4 db for full output. This is a PITA!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.