Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SDR 3.1.11 ATU Defect

Ken AG2K
Ken AG2K Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Does this latest release (3.1.11) fix the ATU Problem? I did not see anything in the release notes about it...
Ken
AG2K

Answers

• Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I'll tell you in 2 minutes ken.  I have just brought it up!
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    So far mine is working a LOT BETTER.  I'll do some more testing and report back.
  • Ken AG2K
    Ken AG2K Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Thanks but it would be nice to get a confirmation directly from Flex too.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2020
    No, not yet.  Please see the changelog for all of the items addressed in this release.
  • Ken AG2K
    Ken AG2K Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Seriously! how much longer do we have to wait? its been broken since Version 2.4.9

• Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    This is the first time I have been able to use the memory function with the tuner and have it repeat band to band.  But other than that it still takes many clicks to get it to tune the first time.  O Well.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Tim's post clearly says what it does. The Changelog does not say anything about your ATU problem.
    The SmartSDR v3.1.11 Changelog

#J4900 Improved SmartLink Log In design for better visibility in Maestro and M models.
    #J7741 Update improvements for increased SD Card stability
    #J7790 Fixed memory form frequency rounding error with transverter bands
    #J7482 Fixed SmartSDR for Windows hang when attempting to close while updating

• Ken AG2K
    Ken AG2K Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Tim just confirmed it is still not fixed! 
  • Ken AG2K
    Ken AG2K Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Gee thanks Mike that was incredibly helpful.

• Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Yeah still broke...  It seemed improved when I first brought it up...  But I can see repeat repetition errors when NOT saved into memory once it gets a good tune...  Before I couldn't even get it to work on memories.  It's probably no different than before.  The reason it tuned quickly is THIS IS a different antenna than I was using before.  But after playing with it a 2:1 match on this antenna will still tune to "success" with an 8:1 or 201:1 SWR...  Both say success.  sigh 
  • Ken AG2K
    Ken AG2K Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Yes, This is getting silly that it has been going on since Ver. 2.4.9 and it is still not fix..

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I guess you are finding a benefit from using the version 3 software. If so then the positive features must outweigh the negative ones. Otherwise why not use 2.4.9?
  • Ken AG2K
    Ken AG2K Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I'd love to make use of the Version 3 i paid for but since it is a defective product I am stuck using ver. 2.4.9.

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    V2.49 is still the most stable version overall.
  • Ken AG2K
    Ken AG2K Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    It is.. What's ashamed is that Flex is selling people new Flexradio's with the built in ATU and Ver. 3.x software knowing that it is defective and will not work properly. That is unconscionable that a US company would do that and not let customers know up front it will not work.
    It has been disappointing that I purchased Ver 3.x software and have not been able to make use of it's features because of the ATU defect.
    When i ask about a time frame to fix this the answer is Flex does not comment on software fixes.
    Ken

• Ken AG2K
    Ken AG2K Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Here is my original thread documenting this problem.
    Disappointing response from Flex
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/atu-high-swr-software-bug

• Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    You are correct.   I'm running SSDR 2.6.1 with my 6700 and it takes many tries to get the ATU to tune properly. I've pretty much given up using it and instead am using an LDG 600 Pro II auto tuner.

You pay a lot of money for a radio with an ATU and end up having to pay even more for an external tuner because you can't get the ATU to work properly.

• Ken AG2K
    Ken AG2K Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I appreciate the software complexities involved. I understand there will be issues. What's disappointing is the total lack of customer concern by Flex. They say it is a big priority almost 6 months ago, refuse to talk about a time frame then come out with a release that ignores it. 
    Here is what they said 6 months ago;
    "Fixing this issue is on our engineering team's list of priorities for the next release of Smart SDR and we do not have an availability date to communicate at this time....."

So the next release came out after 6 months and still no fix.
    Ken

• Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Why is Flex not fixing the ATU problem? We PAID for radios with an ATU so we have a right to expect the ATU to work properly.

When is this going to be fixed? Please provide a specific answer.
  • Ken AG2K
    Ken AG2K Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Pat they will not answer period. Their company policy is to not comment on software releases. Hardly a proper policy for a SOFTWARE Defined Radio company. At the very least they need to come out publicly and tell people that it doesn't work and stop selling radios with it in there. Just think of all the people who have bought radios since ver 2.4.9 with ATU's that have fraudulently been duped into believing that it was a legitimate functioning option.
    Disgraceful
    Ken

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    My post was simply to point out if it isn't in the Changlog, it isn't there. If the answer to your question seemed lame, it is just a reflection on the question you asked, "Does this latest release (3.1.11) fix the ATU Problem?"
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I would like to see Flex offer a partial refund to those of us that purchased a radio with a built in ATU that does not function properly. The refund should be in line with the current $299 charge of adding a factory ATU to a 6400. 

This refund would help offset the additional cost owners incurred by having to purchase an external tuner to replace the internal ATU that is not functioning properly.
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I do believe this is the NEW WAY of doing ham business.  Sell Vaporware.  and nobody is overly worried about delivering as promised as long as they get the money first.  Probably why there's STACKS of 6 month old 6000 series flooding the used market...  I was dreaming about a PGXL...  But there's so many issues with AG and TG etc...  And was bugs in PGXL software that I said I'm not convinced and going to buy RF-KIT.  Well that hasn't worked out too well either.  DXE has FULL $$$ PRICE paid for mine, and they just delayed the machine shipping from March 31 to June 1  a two month delay.  I was going to pull the plug THIS WEEK and get my money returned, but thought, I'll hang on until they delay it one more time and that will be it. 

I have one friend who bought the Russian EB2400 water cooled POS and that instantly exploded, now they are saying they aren't selling those anymore.  They also aren't supporting them either.  What ya going to do DRIVE TO RUSSIA and go operational?  Nobody seems to have customer service anymore.  If I'd been that way I'd have starved to death 40 years ago.

If you can't make it work, don't sell it in the first place.   If you break the software with a new release, take that release off the website so nobody can download it...  Have multiple departments Hardware engineering and development,  another doing repair services.  Software development, Ah whatever nobody is listening anyway....  In the meantime I have a melted Antenna 1/2 relay I do believe.  My Antenna one is no longer attached to the transmitter and antenna 2 currently works but is shorted internally to the antenna output connector of Antenna 1.  I found out when antenna one stopped working and had a dummy load on the output.  Transmitting on 2 the dummy on 1 also gets hot...  Nice short.

So the thing needs to go in for repair.  This explosion was all due to trying to get a signal out on 6 meters and having no tuner that tunes there except the broken one in the radio.  Catch 22 Where are YOU.  I think I'm going to chop up antennas and sell radio chunks and take up macrame'  then if things go badly I can just stab myself in the eye with the Macrame' needles...  OVER... 
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Yeah, free stuff. Whooh!  I want a free Honor Roll certificate, how about that. Oh, what that would be dishonourable.

Hope this thread is closed due the disrespect emerging, this is going to turn ugly fast. Pat and his usual **** who never misses an opportunity to **** in this community just plain amazing.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Mike the "Elmer"
    It's your unnecessary comments that are "Ugly" & "Disrespectful"!
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    LOL!!!!

Thanks for giving me the biggest laugh I've had all day!
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Personal attacks are not allowed.

Moderators please respond.
  • FISHULA X
    FISHULA X Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    You wanna hear a real hoot? Check this out. I originally had a 6300 with no ATU. I sold it and bought one with the ATU option. Guess what, I could have bought an external LDG. We are only saying here is, We paid for an ATU option that is faulty. If I went out and bought a car that had AC and it didn't work, I would want it fixed or to get another car that the AC works as paid for.  Thats all. We all love Flex because it's the best radio out there. We just want a radio with an ATU when we paid for one that has the option. What good is having an ATU when you gotta buy an external one to work correctly. I have faith Flex will get it right or offer us something in return. They are a great company. But I am a Flexer, so I wait patiently with others.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2020
    No fix just a bunch of what I call BS fixes. No NB fix, no ATU fix, no ANF fix. I think management at Flex needs to get theur heads out of their butts and get the bugs fixed. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.