Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

HELLO W5RRK

W5RRK
W5RRK Member
edited February 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
HELLO, W5RRK. FINALLY FOUND A RIG THAT NEEDS NO COMPUTER FOR DIGITAL MODES.! JUST NEED TO SAVE A FEW BUCKS FOR THE PURCHASE! MY ONLY CONCERN IS THE WAIT TIME FOR DELIVERY. DEMAND IS GREATER THAN THE PRODUCTION, AND/OR THE UNIT IS MADE AFTER THE ORDER IS SUBMITTED? THANKS..

Answers

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    When you say no computer for digital modes, Are you assuming a Flex Radio by itself will decode digital modes???
  • W5RRK
    W5RRK Member
    edited February 2020
    YES, with the proper software, and NO external computer...!!!!
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I would defer my comments to FLEX! May want to call FLEX on the phone and explain to them what you are looking for or trying to do!
  • W5RRK
    W5RRK Member
    edited February 2020
    I HAVE ALREADY SEEN THE WEBSITE AND EHAM REVIEWS! WHAT IS YOUR CALLSIGN?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    W5RRK,,just what radio are you talking about?
  • bobby
    bobby Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Ok sounds great tell us what radio it is, its certainly not a Flex!
  • W5RRK
    W5RRK Member
    edited February 2020
    FLEX-6400M...!!
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Any Flex radio will need software running on a computer for digital modes.
  • W5RRK
    W5RRK Member
    edited February 2020
    EXTERNAL TO THE RADIO???
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Yes but the set up in the flex needs no cables as you say. but the radio needs to talk to a digital program to work all the digital modes.
  • W5RRK
    W5RRK Member
    edited February 2020
    WOW!! WEBSITE SAYS NO EXTERNAL PC REQUIRED, SOMEBODY IS LYING....!!!
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    The radio needs no external pc to operate, only if you are going to use a digital mode like FT8
    What is the web site giving this information?
  • W5RRK
    W5RRK Member
    edited February 2020
    BILL, go back and look at all the statements...!!! I also saw that your last comment was edited from 
    "YES" reply...
  • W5RRK
    W5RRK Member
    edited February 2020
    if you operate FT8, you need to download the WXTJ software to the 6400M...!!
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I don't know what you mean,,I'm just letting you know some facts,,
    The radio is a stand alone radio that does not need a computer
    If your going to use digital modes you need software on an external computer.
    I hope you understand...
  • W5RRK
    W5RRK Member
    edited February 2020
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Yes that is correct, as you can see in all the pictures, software is running along side of SSDR for windows on one computer. For an 6400M you will need a computer running SSDR for Windows and the software for digital work. That  digital software is not in SSDR itself.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2020
    In that picture, WSJT-X is running on a separate PC.  You will need a PC to run the digital program of your choosing.  What you will not need is any additional hardware or software to interface the radio to the computer.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2020
    A PC is required to run the digital mode program of your choosing.  Third-party digital mode applications will not and do not run directly on the radio hardware.

What we do provide is all the software to make the audio and CAT connections from the radio to the PC running the third-party digital mode application.
  • W5RRK
    W5RRK Member
    edited February 2020
    ok, I thought that the software was in the SSDR...!!! just sent support an email for reply...!!
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    But the good news is, That a Flex lets all the digital software connect as if it is part of SSDR its self, no wires no fuss, nothing can do it as easy.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2020
    My official answer above is your confirmation.
  • W5RRK
    W5RRK Member
    edited February 2020
    IF YOU NEED A COMPUTER CONNECTED, YOU GOING TO NEED WIRES...!!!
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2020
    You are not going to need anything other than an Ethernet connection.  The audio is transferred entirely in the digital domain over the network.  Same for the CAT interface; it is done via the network connection.
  • W5RRK
    W5RRK Member
    edited February 2020
    WOW, still need a computer connected with wires...!!!  Maybe in the future, a radio with no external computer? GUESS, I can keep my FTDX3000 and ICOM-7300...…..!!!
  • Gary W9GD
    Gary W9GD Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I bought a 6400m 6 months ago and have never looked back at my ftx 3000. Well except using it as a riser to hold up my extra monitor !  Whats the big deal. You have the computer anyway for logging and other things. The flex is virtually cablelless !  I love my flex and is sold as soon as i order my 6600M . Good luck with your decision.
  • W5RRK
    W5RRK Member
    edited February 2020
    A PC is required to run the digital mode program of your choosing.  Third-party digital mode applications will not and do not run directly on the radio hardware .You are not going to need anything other than an Ethernet connection..Ethernet connection requires NO computer???? 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Sort, of, The Flex connects in a much different way than the radios you mentioned, with those radios you need interface connection wires, audio cables and so forth. But with the Flex the only connection you need is simply a network cable. All data and audio is done internally on the computer connected through SSDR, NO wires needed. A much cleaner system.
  • Bill N3HQB
    Bill N3HQB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Marcus' FT4/8 software (Tools) for the iPad does not require cables or a PC.
  • W5RRK
    W5RRK Member
    edited February 2020
    All data and audio is done internally on the computer connected. You are not going to need anything other than an Ethernet connection. Ethernet connection requires NO computer...!!! 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.