Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Smartlink Administration and Security Enhancements

Mike KB0FX
Mike KB0FX Member
edited February 2020 in New Ideas

Smartlink, as it works today has extremely limited capabilities with regard to administration and security. Those would be as follows:

#1) No Access Log: Currently, the only indication a 6400M owner has of someone accessing their radio is a brief pop up message stating a client with an IP address of xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx has connected to the 6400M. I understand it would be possible to use the SmartSDR API to collect remote access user information and create a log. I feel this is a much needed feature.

#2) Account Administration: The current account administration is very basic. The account in Smartlink is tied to a owners email address. Once an account is created there is no account management tool. So, if an account is compromised the only option a owner has is to say they forgot their password. This allows the owner to change the password. This is not really account administration. The other issue is once you create an account there is no way for the owner to delete it to my knowledge. Finally if you want to share your 6400M with your friends but you don't want them to use your email address and password the only option you have is to create a new account with a different email address and password.

I feel Flex needs to develop some basic account administration for Smartlink. The risk of someone hacking the 6400M is simply to great! I feel the basis administration should be included in the license for SmartSDR at no additional charge. That said, I would have no problem paying for a more advanced account administration tool   I would be happy to participate in a development program!
1 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I believe many of these changes are already being worked now.
  • Mike KB0FX
    Mike KB0FX Member
    edited February 2020
    I have been told theses changes are being worked on but that there is no target date for these features to be released.
  • Mike KB0FX
    Mike KB0FX Member
    edited February 2020
    I am surprised no one else in the entire community is not concerned with this issue.
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    This is the main reason we haven't put the club flex online.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.