Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

LOG4OM V2

WA2SQQ
WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
edited August 2020 in Third-Party Software

I know many Flex users use LOG4OM. Version 2 was just released and I’m preparing to upgrade. I’m wondering if anyone already has? If so, do you consider it stable enough to do a total step up? I have specific questions related to WSJT and JTAlert. Version 2 allows you to simultaneously run version 1 & version 2 just I case some new bugs are discovered. I am assuming that you would have to 2 occurrences of WSJT and JTALERT?

Answers

• Ger Metselaar
    Ger Metselaar Member
    edited January 2020
    Yes I'm a V1 and V2 user. V2 Works not perfect. But I can live with that. Most important issue is thatV2 is not working together with Gridtracker. An udp issue.  I have send Tag a mail about the problem
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    What other problems have you noticed version two
  • Brad Adams (N4PYI)
    Brad Adams (N4PYI) Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I have installed Log4OM V2 and run it alongside V1. I followed the instructions in the manual to get it all working. I am comparing and doing "testing", depending upon V1 for my primary log at the moment. I am currently running it with my Flex 6300 and have WSJT-X and JTAlert logging to both simultaneously. I see things about V2 that I like, I also see some things that are in version 1 that are either not in V2 or have moved to a different place. All in all, I like V2 with the exception that it is a bit of a resource (memory) hog more so than V1. The jury is still out for me, although they are doing updates to V2 frequently and one would expect that right now. Great logging program either way! And, you can't beat the price! Of course, a donation is always in order to support it. 
  • Brad Adams (N4PYI)
    Brad Adams (N4PYI) Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    None other than the memory usage. and  that is not a real issue, folks should not be running less than 8GB of memory these days, I opt for 16GB. 
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I have tried to reply, but now I need a new password, What is this????
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Bob,

I loaded the new Log4OM2 last night and have it configured with WSJT-X and JTAlert. 

If using JTAlert, upgrade it to latest version.

Dave wo2x

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I have been running it for about a week with no issues.  Couple things like QSL manager are harder to use but overall its superior to V1.

It will get better over time but looks like a winner to me.

Rich
  • Santiago Mejia HI8O
    Santiago Mejia HI8O Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I have been using Log4Om V2 for a couple of weeks now and there is no issue for me. At first there was a connection isssue with JTAlert but it was resolved by a new version of JTAlert. So far, it’s working fine for me (I’m not a power user by all means).

Santiago

Edited for iPad keyboard mistakes.
  • LZ2BE
    LZ2BE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020

I'm using V2 since it was introduced with my 6600. It communicate with Slice Master, PstrotatorAz and WSJT-X without problems. It is easier to switch between different data bases than it was in V1. I think import/export to eQSL, LOTW, Clublog are faster/easier.
    73 Boyan
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    "I think import/export to eQSL, LOTW, Clublog are faster/easier." You are the first person I have heard say that. For most LOTW download is slow.  But agree with everything else. Fantastic upgrade and huge task since they started over and built it almost from the ground up.

• LZ2BE
    LZ2BE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    "I think import/export to eQSL, LOTW, Clublog are faster/easier." You are the first person I have heard say that.
    --
    I mean menus are easier to navigate. LOTW import/export speed usually depend on number of users connected to lotw.arrl.org

• Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Not doing so good here. Just uninstalled V2. I guess I did something wrong. Will down load again and give it a try. Quick Start Guide ????
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Andy start a thread on the Log4OM site and we will help you there.  You will need to set V2 up from scratch and export your log out of V1 into V2.

But be happy to help you over there.
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    OK, so I need to ask what is likely a very easy question for most, but I'm stumped. I want to view the Omnirig settings from V1, so i can properly set up V2. Looked in V1 and I don't see any way to view them. Tried to click on the Omni exe file but absolutely nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

This afternoon's plans are to install V2, import the ADIF file, get it talking to my 6500 and  update JTALERT to talk with V2. Have not decided yet if I'll run V1 in parallel for a time.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    As Terry suggested, click the Omni Rig settings icon on the toolbar.

You can also open Omni rig from your windows programs as well.
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Rich
    Where is the OmniRig tab in V1? I tried clicking on the Omnirig.exe file and nothing happens. Perhaps you can't open the file while Flex / LOG4OM is running? The only mention I saw in V1 was where you slect OmniRig or Hamlib in the setup, but there wasn't any obvious was to view the settings
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    See below.

Its not a very good choice for icon.

You really only need to know the port you are using which you can see in SmartCAT on the Flex software. The rest is automatic after selecting Smart SDR.

Rich

• WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    GOT IT - thanks!
    OK, I get the dumb question award today!
    Many thanks
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Rich, where would you suggest that I post this on the Log4OM site? 
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
  • Santiago Mejia HI8O
    Santiago Mejia HI8O Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Let us know when you post, so we can help you there.
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Final comments ..
    LOG4OM support has been incredibly good, especially noted as this is free software. After seeing V2, I feel obligated to support them, which I will. Their hard work and dedication needs to be recognized.
  • Ger Metselaar
    Ger Metselaar Member
    edited February 2020
    I published the settings for log4OMV2 <> WSJT <> Gridtracker on the site
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    All I ever used JTAlert for was to log. Now I bypass it and log directly from WSJT-X using the UDP broadcast. Similar to how I configure N1MM. Log4OM 2 takes some getting used to, as the UI is a complete overhaul.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    "Log4OM 2 takes some getting used to, as the UI is a complete overhaul."

I agree but if I take a step back its a pretty simple interface. Just a challenge as its not like V1 :)

Rich
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020

So, this weekend I pulled the trigger and made the switch to V2, but it wasn’t without some confusion and hesitation. The biggest problem I encountered was temporarily loosing ~ 500 contacts when I imported the ADIF file from version 1. I reached out to Terry on the support forum at ~ 16:00 local time this weekend. That’s already pretty late in the UK! Within about 15 minutes he responded and asked me to send him my ADIF file. 30 minutes later he responded again, explaining that I had ~ 500 contacts that had varying missing data – these were contacts from the 70’s that were originally logged in a dBase format and converted to ADIF when I started using electronic logging. Using the Bulk Edit feature, I was able to correct most of the missing data and get the V1 file imported to V2. Tell me one other program that will provide this level of support, so quickly – and the program is FREE!

The UI is totally rearranged, but in a good way which now allows you to customize just about any aspect of the program. So many new tools and features – the wait to get to V2 was definitely worth it. For me, having to relearn how to do certain tasks a new way is probably the biggest frustration, but one that I’m getting past very quick. I read that the team is working on adding some features to directly communicate with FRS radios. If they decided to start charging for this software, I’d have absolutely no problem paying a reasonable price for it – I like it that much! I’ve already sent the team a donation. It also provides seamless integration with many online propagation resources and DX Clusters. For QRZ XML subscribers, the moment you enter the stations call you have all his QRZ info in front of you along with a street level map. I can definitely see how this will have an impact on HRD’s business model.

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Anyone using OmniRig v2?   I tried it and it broke my Log4om JTAlert and caused wsjt-x not to start up.  Uninstalled and found a copy of V1.  And installed it, now all work.  I was in the process of bringing up a new computer, so had lots of new installs.... thus new versions.  Any one have a similar issue?
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    "Tell me one other program that will provide this level of support, so quickly – and the program is FREE!"

DXlabs for one.
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    LogHX
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I Never could make V1 work for me, tried to communicate to developer, he tried my adif and it did not go anywhere.
    Tried v2, it is different and in general looks good.
    However I could not figure out how to enable 2nd receiver (2nd slice) in the program, there is no information in Manual.
    Also, I could not find a way to change fonts, on 4k monitor it looks blurry.
    I gave up.
    Going back to LogHX.

Sergey, KN7K

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.