Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Windows 7 to windows 10

W7NIK
W7NIK Member ✭✭
I am about to upgrade my computer. Should upgrade to windows 10 , pro or home edition.? I have read a lot problems with windows 10 and flex , can I get some suggestions , procedures ideas , , I have a flex 6300 with 2.61 software. What is everyone using for operating systems

Answers

• Larry Loen  WO7R
    Larry Loen WO7R Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I have standardized on Windows 10 for my various PCs and there are days I regret it.  The main headache is that a handful of Windows updates screwup/rename the DAX drivers.  There is a procedure for manually renaming them, which is painful, but I successfully did it once.  The other problems don't seem nearly as bad.

I would seriously consider keeping your current PC on Windows 7 dedicated to the Flex and buy a new computer for your other uses.  If you run a free program like TightVNC or TeamViewer, you don't even have to have a display hooked up to your old PC.

Can you manage Windows 10?  Many of us do.  But if I had the choice you did, I would seriously consider leaving a dedicated machine running the Flex software on Win7.  Less trouble.

If I did install Windows 10 on a new machine running SmartSDR, I would take a screen capture of my audio drivers after it was up and running.  This will be your "guidepost" for renaming them back to what they really are if Windows decides to **** them up again.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited November 2019
    Hi Nick

I did all my computers to Windows 10 Pro and never looked back for many reasons.  Yes, PRO does cost a bit more, but considering the investment in the hobby, this is well worth the expense.

Mike va3mw

• Larry Loen  WO7R
    Larry Loen WO7R Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I have never found a significant difference between Home and Pro.  But the price difference is minor.  If you find a PC you otherwise like, I would not make a home/pro distinction a deal breaker.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Windows 7 goes end of life in January. I would not waste time and effort installing and configuring an OS that won't have security updates.

As for Pro vs Home? I doubt for most people it makes a difference. Unless you are a power user you probably won't notice a difference.

Good luck!
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I have had ZERO issues with Windows 10 and Flex SSDR upgrades.. Some have had issues,, but I feel a laptop can and should be dedicated to ham radio functions. That is dont load a laptop with all kinds of non essential things, especially Games... On my laptop is has only Ham Radio related items on it... Just keeps things running smooth.. 
    BUT!!! Others have just a single laptop for every function they may need, and have no issues at all.. As for Windows 10, it is what it is, and is now the defector standard.. I agree with the PRO comment made by Mike,, especially if this computer will be the main work horse for every function, Ham, eMail, Software for test equipment, etc. etc. 

Robert
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    With Windows 7 end of support in January 2020, I would not recommend running Windows 7 on any computer connected to the Internet.
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    To address the main question, Windows 10 Pro does offer a useful advantage over Home in our context. Pro offers the ability to exercise greater control over when/if updates occur so you can postpone the chaos until after the contest weekend or DXpedition is over. 
  • W7NIK
    W7NIK Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    How do I do a screen shot of my drivers ? Wouldn’t a fresh install of smart sdr 2.6 be easier ?
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I would suggest W10 Enterprise edition, and block updates until you can install them at your convenience, not Microsoft's non-consensual model.
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Running Win10 Pro with no issues for years. Flex SSDR and other ham software packages run well on it.  One big advantage with Win10 Pro is that you can connect remotely to your PC.  You cant do that with Win10 Home. 
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Do Win 10 Pro x64, Don't do enterprise unless you are a business installing on MULTIPLE computers. As far as UPDATES I just let them install. If a nasty comes along you can roll the offender back off. BUT don't ever completely block updates.  You can delay them with just a mouse click.  Those who say stay away from 10 are not computer people.  You should WANT to know about your operating system.  The computer IS a tool, and you should know how to use your tools and how to keep them maintained.  PRO has features someday you may need as JOE N3HEE just mentioned one...

IF you really want a professional like computer turn Cortana off...  That takes getting into your configuration tools that HOME doesn't have (and has features enterprise doesn't have)

I've had pro running stable with only 2gb (one stick of ram)  in a computer here...  It finally died of old age.

My Ancient laptop only has 4gb and is running a free version of HOME as its on WINDOWS Insider...  and has the absolute latest.  Everybody has their limits, don't be afraid to learn new stuff.

Erika DD
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I'm staying where I am, win 7 and v2.4.9. Too much negativity on the community for me to even want to try anything else. 

Andy...W3LI 
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Andy,

I think the general consensus here was positive towards Win 10. 

Also remember that extended support for Win7 ends 1/14/2020.  This means no more updates or security patches from Microsoft.  I would strongly suggest moving to Win 10 when you feel you are ready. 

Another benefit of Win 10 is that it is optimized for slower hardware found in mobile devices.  I noticed a fairly big improvement in performance when I moved to Win10 on my existing hardware. Especially my 7 year old laptop !  It's usable again :)
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    TNX 4 ur reply. I looked at ur QRZ page, very nice.
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Go with Windows 10 Pro. Better options to delay updates.
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Windows 10 pro
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I'd say that Windows 7 is the best way to go. It's difficult to argue that Windows 10 is secure - it has security updates all the time. In addition, ad-blocking and script blocking is  a better  security measure than anything you can do to secure a system with updates.

This is my own opinion, and not necessarily that of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Some motherboards can not run Win10 & DAX reliably. If you do not use DAX then no problem.
    If using DAX then you have to see if your PC can run DAX reliably.
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    So Bill how do I know if my motherboard will run Win 10 and Dax? Getting more complicated with each post.
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    OK OK OK!!!! All this windows 10 talk has convinced me to upgrade my computer system! Hate to let it go!!!! My 6600M liked it a lot, I think they fell in love!! :-)  Robert

• Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    If the MB was built prior to Win10 good chance there can be issues. Several of us using ASUS MBs can not run Win10 & DAX. Win10 was released in the summer of 2015 so if your computer was built after that date maybe it will be okay. You can only try it.
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Commy 64 in excellent shape!
  • James Whiteway
    edited October 2019
    Yep, I have an Area 51 gaming machine that has a chipset that Intel won't offer drivers for Windows 10 that I wanted to use. When I tried installing win10 anyway, it installed, but would blue screen randomly. Rolled back to win7 and all is well. James WD5GWY
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Just for the record, I have been using a first generation i7 from 2009 with no problems...Oh, and running Windows 10
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    But this does bring up a good point. I read in other post were some people are having so many problems, audio drop outs using PC speaker, constant BSoD screens, and all the others. But these problems do not effect most users. For most, none of these problems ever happen. So, could it be a disconnect with certain mother boards, shipsets and DAX? with Win 10??  If not every customer would have the same problems. We all use 6000 radios, the software installs just the same in each radio, but understanding there are some differences betwwen lets say a V2 update to a V3 update. But every radio using V3 should have all the same problems. And all radios on V2 should all have the same problems, but they don't,,,WHY.?
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    The motherboard in my PC is an Intel DP55WB with no issues.
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Resistance is futile 
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Here goes my two cents.

I've been waiting for the DAX Win10 issue to get resolved before I changed to Win10 from my trusty Win7 pro machine. It's an AMD Athlon II I built from scratch 8 or 9 years ago.

I decided to replace it with a 4h gen I7 HP G1 Win10 Elit Desk refurb. I also made sure it has Win10 Pro. In Win7Pro there were differences such as being able to back up the C drive to my WD Cloud drive among others so I figured Win10 would be in that vein as well.

I also upgraded to Version 3 SSDR specifically for this machine another asside is my purchase of a Stream Deck keypad that only works with Win10 not 7.

Also have a new SPE 2KFA waiting to goin line.

Couldn't wait on the PGXL ad the money is here now and I am going part time in Dec after 32 yesrs, I think it'll be a great retirement amp / present to myself. Thank God for my xyl!!! "She's a ham too"

Multiclient is what I've been ultimately waiting for and now we have finally arrived! Yay!!!

I am in the process of installing everything, did the CAT assignments last night next is setting up N1MM, MMTTY etc etc, etc so I may have a few questions in the coming days on some of those choices.

Compares to the AMS this is a dream.

Excellent refurb. Am very happy with my purchase.

Clay N9IO
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Souping up that Commodore to maybe Admiral might save you a few bucks on the light bill...  About 1995 we moved our consulting business into a new space, a WHOLE FLOOR of one of our clients office buildings...  Left by a past office space occupant was a PAIR of all in one originalesk complete 1981 dated IBM PS2's w/boxes. Between Gigs, I setup the pair of dinosaurs to see if they worked, or burst into flames...  Low and behold one of the two had a BASIC O/S ROM installed as its only operating system.  Probably a leftover from a computer school.

Recalling BASIC from HS I managed to program a simple BOMB countdown program...  Left it on the outer reception desk pointing out...  When the Building Owner dropped in to see if I was getting settled, he looked shocked and worried asked,  WHAT IS THIS?  OH I found this in the power/phone room on the floor and just plugged it in and got busy with something else.  HUM, I donno what this is but I have a previous appointment I have to head out...  It was pretty obvious what it was doing...  In modern times post 911 I'd have the Bomb Squad, ATF, LOCAL PD, FD, and probably the Highway Patrol PLUS a couple UBER drivers waiting with the engines running for someone to return...

After the initial testing both were put back in the utility room and forgotten once again.  EXCEPT the pair of SARATOGA keyboards... They went into instant use and one was utilized at home in the shack for a couple decades...  I wish they still made those things, but I haven't had a wired keyboard since...

Unfortunately there was so much gear to move when we were bought out by our largest client in 1999 and moved into a whole floor of their building... The two old mint IBM's didn't make the trip across town.  There's got to be somebody who'd pay BIG BUCKS for those two units.  Inside I believe there was like one whole open micro channel bus slot... Micro Channel there was Big Blues downfall.

Erika DD

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.