Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

frstack ver3 and SPE amp

Jamie WW3S
Jamie WW3S Member ✭✭
edited August 2020 in Third-Party Software
just discovered the latest version of FRStack, works great for allowing my Maestro to tune the radio and still display the SSDR software/scope/etc.....but having a hard time to configure FRStack to control my SPE amp.....looks like FRStack wants a comport for the amp control, and mine is connected via USB...is there a way to set FRstack with a USB to the amp? 

Answers

• Mark_W3II
    Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Just saw this question. You may have already figured this out. FRStack works with SPE 1.3, 1.5 and 2.0 models. The SPE Command USB port needs to be connected to the PC to allow FRStack to control the SPE functions. The SPE serial port should be connected to the Flex Radio USB port via a FTDI cable to send band info to AMP and allow AMP to set drive power level of radio.
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Remember if you are having the 1KF-a as I do, that it will not work very well, regardless which software you use.   I have tried with SPE's own software, DDUtil, FRStack .. none works well.

Tried with a friends 1.3KF-a that has a much better software for remote and it works as a charm. No problem what so ever.  I don't think it has anything to do with the Flexradio. My IC-7300 had the same problem with 1KF-a and worked great with the newer 1.3KF-a.

Just my experience FWIW.

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Have you ever tried the Mini Console app for your 1K-FA, it works well for me to control the amp for remote operation.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17185xv9wOs68rNe5gcjaEl2Oae5VPg26

• Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Tnx! Didn't know of it. I'll try it tomorrow when having the time. I'm not getting rid of my 1KF-a, more likelly to add a 1.3KF-a. So high priority to fine some working software to use with the 1K.
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I have never been able to get the SPE software to work with my 1K-FA but this mini console works, you just can't access the setup or change drive power settings with it other than hign/low power.
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Hi Larry, I downloaded the RAR file, extracted it, got 3 files, and tried to install as admin. No success. It says I need to install the included DLL file. I thought that would be done during the installation? I'm good on making computers "talk to each other" but I'm stuck with this. Anything you have had similar problem with? 

Any help appreciated, probably very simple to solve. But I'm stuck ..

• HB9EDM - Marco
    HB9EDM - Marco Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Hi Johan!
    It depends on the os...but try with right click on the .dll and then REGISTER:

https://winaero.com/blog/add-register-dll-context-menu-commands-for-dll-files-in-windows-10/

Eventually:

http://www.dll-found.com/how-to-install-dll.php

ciaoo

• Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Great Tnx Marco

I'll on my way out to a customer call but will try when back home.  By the way, I'm on Win 10 Pro, with the latest updates.

• Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Done my worst .. tried so many different ways and places on the harddrive to register this DLL. Only error messages saying it's not compatibel with my version of Windows. Can't think of more to do?  Good thing though, it brought back a lot of old memories in using the command window and some old Dos commands ;)

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I am using it with windows 10 home 64 bit.

I just installed it on another pc to remember what I had to do to make it work.

place MSSTDFMT.DLL IN C:WINDOWSWOWSYS64 and register it using windows power shell with admin privledges.

get MSCOMM32.OCX from https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BCybglDbyYM_DfCaudQIkYAG19B7x9wX

place in C:WINDOWSWOWSYS64  and register it using windows power shell with admin privledges.

this worked for me just now.
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    RR, Tnx Larry. I'll try that tomorrow, just shut down for the evening. Will let you know when it works ;)
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

Curious what result you had Johan?
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Been working to much .. Sri for not coming back. Not had the time, hopefully during this weekend ;)

• Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Boy I can identify with that Johan.
    Have a new 2K-FA picked up 3 days ago and no time to put it in service yet still in the box, (also want to do major rearrange on the shack.)
    Working getting in the way with many things these days, can't keep up the pace.
    Come in exhausted most of the time, so close to retirement I can taste it.

Maybe once I retire I will finally acquire the title "King of DX!" since I will have all of this extra time on my hands.
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Tried and tried, read the links provided by Marco. Googled at everything I could think of .. But no luck. I'll given up for the time being. Spent to much time already 

Have to stick with either the lousy SPE software or what can be done within DDUTIL 

It's a shame the SPE software is so bad. I really like my amp, but this will likelly result in a future swap to a 1.3 KF-a.
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I just noticed my instructions had one error.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    this was wrong

"place MSSTDFMT.DLL IN C:WINDOWSWOWSYS64 and register it using windows power shell with admin privledges."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    do this

Place MSSTDFMT.DLL in C:WINDOWSSYSTEM32  and register it using windows power shell with admin privledges.
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Tnx Larry

but I tried that just by chanse because the DLL is a Win32 one. No difference .. But I will give it another try. Just in case I did something else wrong when trying to register it. Seems like my W10 Pro don't recognize my command for registering it.

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I had to start power shell with admin privledges.
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Tnx Larry, I'll try that. I'm an old Dos and Solaris/Unix person .. Did the registering through the CMD. Might not work. Will be out for a couple of hours, I'll try to use powershell tomorow. Gets a message that registry refuse to take the update of the .dll? This has started being a challenge and I don't like very much to lose and give up :)
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Using powershell with admin allowed me to register the DLL and OCX file.

• Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Don't really know what I did .. But MiniConsole app finally installed and seems to start as it should. I discovered that my USB/Serial converter was not with the FTDI chip. Ordered and waiting for it. I will wait trying Mini until I have the new cable installed.

But it looks promising. Tnx again Larry for your support. I'll let you know as soon as I have it working.

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Excellent, it should work good for you.
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    @ Larry - W8LLL   Larry, long delay in updating this discussion. Been away from home a lot. Finally today took the time to try to get Mini Console working. Yes! it works perfect with my 1K-Fa now. 

Changed out my USB/RS232 adapter, still not working. I did have a short USB extension cord to reach my PC. Brand new, out of the box, but I decided to change it for another one. Voilá, working like a charm .. Just again proves that little might give you large headache .. lol

Thanks for your earlier support! I'm really happy with the outcome. Next step to be able to fully remote my Flex is to install a RS-232 card in my Yaese rotator. See if I mange to do that a bit quicker than having Mini Console up and running?image
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Mark and all, Finally ready to set up FRStack, got past a few major hurdles recently now with ALL softwares working excellent, rebuilt ground busses now all RF issues taken care of working well. So now time to address the SPE 2K for use with FRStack. I currently have the 2K working with DDUtil. I made the cables myself from the DDUtil PDF. Both the PORT and CAT cables are wired to REAL com ports per the pdf as well. My problem is that FRStack doesn't recognize either com port. Mark I saw in your comment that one must connect to the Flex Radio and one to the PC. Would someone give me greater details of what I need to make this happen? On a positive note:. I LOVE what you have done to make the Stream Deck work with FRSTack. REALLY NICE! Well done... Clay N9IO
  • Mark_W3II
    Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    FRStack uses the USB Command port. You need to connect a USB cable from the AMP USB connection to the PC then configure FRStack to use the COM port created by Windows by plugging in the USB cable.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    OK so won't work with the hard wired com port? Only with the USB cable's created com port. Thank you, that covers control of the amp vis the Stream Deck. Not FRStack related but I am going to use an FTDI USB to RS-232 com port cable from the Flex 6600 to the SPE CAT 15 pin for frequency data after I make a short 15 pin to 9 pin cable. Mark the Stream Deck addition to Stack is GENIUS! The more I use it the more I realize how crazy great it is! Now I just need to figure out how to play .wav files as a voice keyer. Anyone? Clay N9IO
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    http://k9dur.info/voice_keyer.php   Might K9DUR Voice keyer work for you?

• Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Johan, Since I use N1MM+ thinking that will be the vehicle so I am more questioning how to get that to work with the Stream Deck. Now that's cool and very useful at the same time
  • Mark_W3II
    Mark_W3II Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    FRStack 3.1.8.30 was released, this is the first release with SPE 1K support. Please report any issues to my email address found in FRStack's Help, Contact Support menu link. 73
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I am now using the FRStack SPE control for my SPE 1K-FA and it works nicely, I like the fact that the SWR ATU button both activates tune on the radio and then tunes the SPE ATU all in one button push, after tuning the SWR ATU button has to be pushed one more time to turn off the radio tune. Also it can be set to put amp in standby mode automatically when the SWR ATU button is pushed and then it reverts back to Operate mode after tuning.

Nice job mark.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.