Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Smartlink & Verizon USB Modem?

Ron W4RDM
Ron W4RDM Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in Remote Operation (SmartLink)
Looking for recommendations for a Verizon USB modem that works with Smartlink.

Answers

• KC9EI - Dave
    KC9EI - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    You might want to know that I use(d) a Verizon hot spot just last week while operating remotely back to my 6600M. I have a 15GB data plan that costs me $85 per month plus a once a month $15 for 5Gb extra data. After that is used, my "UNLIMITED" plan slows to a 640K rate that is $100.00 a month. If I run normal, not low bandwidth, I burn through at least 1Gb per hour running FT8.  That's $100 for a weekend of operation. 

The bandwidth consumption has been verified by a couple other users as well. "Low BW Connect" operation at 640Kbs inhales very vigorously! I understand there are some ways the bandwidth consumption can be reduced but don't know enough to help with that.

It is simply VERY disappointing to find out my Verizon "UNLIMITED" data plan basically is used up two/three days into the month. Beware! (Your data mileage may vary)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.