Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

fan doesn't stop

Paulo CT1ETE
Paulo CT1ETE Member ✭✭
edited March 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Hi,

I have my 6400M for about a month or so and never noticed such a behavior like this. Today I powered on my radio and I heard immediately a noise that seems to be a fan. Radio is cold and fan continues working without stoping. Is this normal?

Comments

• Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Yes, it is keeping the internal processors cool.  It's just like a computer.  Fan always runs.  
  • Paulo CT1ETE
    Paulo CT1ETE Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    And it just started to run 1 month after? 
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    It should run continuously.  What does the noise sound like ?  The fan is pretty quiet at low speed.  If it is starting to go bad it will start to make noises. 
  • Paulo CT1ETE
    Paulo CT1ETE Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I never heard this fan sound before, even if it was always on. This is something new for my ears!!!! Thanks anyway for your help!
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    If something starts to go wrong with the fan or the fan stops turning the radio will shut itself down.  This is a built in protection mechanism to prevent overheating of the microprocessors. 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    keep a listen to the fan, if it sounds like it is getting noisy then start a help ticket for fast response.
  • Paulo CT1ETE
    Paulo CT1ETE Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Joe. I understand that. The only thing I don't understand is why never heard it before in a month period. And you know that hams have ears trained :)
  • Paulo CT1ETE
    Paulo CT1ETE Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Well. If it always runs and I never heard it before, that probably means it's getting noisier! 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    then start a help ticket,,,
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Yes, I agree that is strange Paulo.  In theory the radio should not be able to run if the fan is not working.  I had a fan go bad in my 6600M.  It made all kind of strange noises and the radio would shut down after about one minute.  If you notice the fan is not running when the radio is running then open a support ticket with Flex support.  
  • Paulo CT1ETE
    Paulo CT1ETE Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Well, Joe. At this point what I want to understand is if this is a problem or not. I already opened a ticket. I never had my radio shutting down and I never heard the fan. If that means that the fan should always work and before it was not working, the radio could be faulty before and now it's ok. I've opened several tickets since I bought it that I am beginning to be a little bit tired of it. And also I feel like i am being a dummy guy who is always upsetting support team with nonsense questions. But to be honest, in 25 years I have never had such needs!
  • Paulo CT1ETE
    Paulo CT1ETE Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Got a response from Flex! Fan always runs. it seems that it has started running now. Better later than never!
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Don't feel like that Paulo.  That's what Flex support is there for.  I'm new to the SDR radio game and I've opened my fair share of tickets over the past 6 months.  I'm sure they are tired of hearing from me.  Hang in there and enjoy the radio !
  • Paulo CT1ETE
    Paulo CT1ETE Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I am willing to enjoy it. That's forsure. Thanks Joe! 73

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.