Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

As a follow up to DIGU or USB for use with FT8 I have found that while DIGU is great for RTTY opera

N4AB
N4AB Member ✭✭
edited May 2019 in New Ideas
As a follow up to  DIGU or USB modes for use with FT8, I have found that while DIGU is great for RTTY operation its use on FT8 is OK but does have a built in limitation. While allowing me to set DIGU up to view (and have WSJT-X decode) 7.074 to 7.078 MHz using a stretched 3 KHz Filter (out to 4 KHZ) It will only transmit out to 7.077 MHz leaving the top 1 KHz as just a receiver. Using USB (with a 4 KHz filter) I can view and transmit anywhere in the band (7.074/7.078 or any other band that has 4 KHz of room).
I know that JT65 and JT9 or some other digital modes have been unofficially assigned to some of those frequencies. But from my observations the upper 1 KHz of 40 and 20 meters is little used since the FT8 mode was introduced while the lower 2.5 KHz is totally packed. I even saw some activity below 100 Hz a few days ago.
Their is bound to be Pro and Cons about this but I don't see a major problem with using the entire 4 KHz on the 40/20 meter band or using USB mode with an appropriate configured Profile (no audio processing applied).
Al, N4AB  

Comments

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Al
    Check your TX bandwidth setting, Look at the lower portion of the Phone panel in SmartSDR panel menus. That setting can be stored and controlled using a Digital, Mic profile, which of course you will need to setup. Afterwards, usually the persistence memory "Always Active" should apply the Digital Mic profile automatically when your on that frequency and set to DIGU mode. 

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC Chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Set DIGU with a TX and RX filter of 5kHz. I always work with this setting.
    DIGU bypasses all SSB voice settings and thus is the best choice for all digital modes,
    except RTTY, which has it's own mode settings, with a twin peak filter.
    See also:
    https://www.flexradio.com/downloads/how-to-guide-ft8-setup/
    Alex - DH2ID
  • N4AB
    N4AB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    OK Jay and thank you. I forgot that I had set my transmit bandwidth to 100 to 2900 Hz. Sometimes a quick rap on the head will help ****. The appropriate profile for FT8 should include the bandwidth as it should for all the modes.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Al
    Not ****!!! no final exams until the learning is all done.

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC Chat

73, Jay - NO5J

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.