Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Low audio INRAD M650 microphone

Phil N3ZP
Phil N3ZP Member ✭✭
edited February 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I purchased an INRAD M650 desk microphone and base directly from INRAD at Dayton after learning they were being sold and recommended by Flex. I used it first with a 6300 and now have a 6400 and in both cases it appears that this mic has low output. I know it's a dynamic mic so I don't have bias on but have checked +20 db. I always have to run the processor and run the audio as high 60 to 70 but still appear to have low power output on a peak reading watt meter even on voice peaks both when running 100 watts or driving a KPA500 amp at about 20 to 22 watts drive. I have the mic stand set so I can speak pretty close it it. I am running V2.4.9 and using the M650 mic profile. I am using the RJ-45 adapter cable, plugged into Maestro MIC-1. I have tweaked the equalizer a bit but haven't seen much change. I do see modulation if I view the VU meter display but never gets close to the red end. I don't want to keep raising the mic gain. I have been licensed for 57 years but mostly worked CW. I have been wanting to work more SSB now that I own a Flex.

My 6400 came with an FHM-2 mic and when using this mic with it's profile, the output looks significantly better. Although this works I would prefer to use a desk mic or headset I haven't looked at the Heil or Radiosport mics, which can get pretty pricey.

Have others experienced this problem with an M650 or M629 mic? Any suggestions for improvement are appreciated. I would prefer not to have to get a different mic. I considered getting a headset mic and see INRAD has the W-1 but expect I would have similar result, since it's also a dynamic mic.

Thanks,

Phil N3ZP

Comments

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    My Electra voice RE-20 needs near 100% mic gain and DX or +DX with 20DB Boost in order to achieve between -10 and 0 db on the level meter. If your only at 60 or 70 % on the mic gain turn it up to what you need.

• Ora Smith
    Ora Smith Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I have the same problem, and just turned up the mic gain.  I find I like the  hand mic better than the very nice looking Inrad desk mic.   Ora W9DJ
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I've found that even with the +20db gain activated and mic gain set to max, my Flex-6700 doesn't have enough audio drive for certain microphones.  This was the case with my Electro Voice RE-27nd.  Thanks to some great advice I added a StudioProjects VTB1 preamp which solved the problem.
  • Phil N3ZP
    Phil N3ZP Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Thanks. I didn't think I should have to run the gain that high. I'll have to try that.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.