Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

error codes

I get the following error codes on power on my flex6500: PSH1V0A-1.2.3, PSL1V0A-0.0.5, and PSL1V0A-0.0.1 Once the codes are displayed it sticks in shutdown mode and power must be removed from the radio completely.

Answers

• Bob  N0IS
    Bob N0IS Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019

Try a more robust power supply.  If that does not do the trick...…………….you have a problem.

Bob, N0IS

• Jack Lewis
    Jack Lewis Member
    edited January 2019

Bob thanks for the info. I'm using a Harris RF3236 PS, 13.6v @ 30 amps continuous. I have 4 FLEX 6500's that I'm trying to get working. One works fine, one has the error codes, and the other 2 won't take the new 2.4.9 upgrade. I think you are correct in stating that I have a problem. I will switch to another PS for testing and post any outcomes. These were/are NIB! We have several more at the office and I have to say I'm not enthralled at their performance.

73, Jack

K4PIH
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Jack, I had a similar problem with my 6700 recently. Took apart the radio, "cleaned" internal fuse/holder as well as Power Pole connector. Re-tightened power cord (I have very short cord) and after that everything been working fine.

• Jack Lewis
    Jack Lewis Member
    edited January 2019

Johan, thanks I'll give that a try. I thought it might be an internal power issue. My power supply is a good one and plenty of power to run the FLEX that works as well as several other radios in the office.
    73, Jack

K4PIH
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hi Jack,
    I also had some power related lockups related to the fuse.  I documented the issue and solution on my web page.  It involved cleaning the fuse and applying some "conductive" grease to the connector.

More here:  

http://www.nn4zz.com/FLEX6700.htm#Low_Voltage_Lockup

Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 & SSDR-W  V 2.4.9
    Win10

• Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    A bit late Al, but Tnx for your writing about this. Did help me solve it  :)
  • Jack Lewis
    Jack Lewis Member
    edited January 2019

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I removed the covers (pain in the ***) and cleaned and the main fuse (30). No help, still getting the error codes and not even booting up. I guess the non-working ones will be packed and sent back to FLEX. Going to be expensive as they are out of warranty, but I'm not paying.

73, Jack

K4PIH
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I bet your not when they don't work...
  • Jack Lewis
    Jack Lewis Member
    edited January 2019

We have 10 total and 2 of them are dependable.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Do we know what the codes mean?
  • Jack Lewis
    Jack Lewis Member
    edited January 2019

I've tried to find what they mean but they seem to be close hold. If anyone can reference a place to find them It would be greatly appreciated.
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Bad news Jack! I take for granted that you did check, i.e. measured your PS? Just to make sure. I have very short cords because i have choosen to have a dedicated PS just for the radio. Nothing wrong with your Power Pole connecytors or cabling or related? I for one doesn't like those PP connectors, eventhough I haven't had any issues with them.

I use SDR Monitor by Ray, K9DUR, to be able to keep an "on-line" eye on voltage inside the radio. Have you tried using it? It's supposed to measure voltage, if I'm right, after the PP connector in the back of the radio.

Just a few thoughts.

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Jack,
    I'm also a fan of the K9DUR monitor but of course if the radio won't boot it can't send the info to the monitor.    It measures the voltage after the internal fuse.

Another way I check the voltage to insure the power supply and cable are good is to measure it while plugged in to the radio with my Fluke like this.  

The way I did it was to use some cut off safety pins attached to alligator clips.   SEE pic below.   

If you have a connection issue or some other glitch in the supply lines this may help find it or rule it out. 

Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 & SSDR-W  V 2.4.9
    Win10

• Jack Lewis
    Jack Lewis Member
    edited January 2019

I'll try that. I'm also going to swap power supplies just in case.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Ok so to answer my question,,the codes mean low DC power
  • Jack Lewis
    Jack Lewis Member
    edited January 2019

So does anybody know? If I knew it would help.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Jack,
    Here is the only reference to the PSH error I could find on the community.  It's about a year old and not the same as your scenario but Tim's comments about it are included.

Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 & SSDR-W  V 2.4.9
    Win10

• Jack Lewis
    Jack Lewis Member
    edited January 2019

Checking my power supply, I have 14.39 volts. Should be sufficient to run the FLEX and it works fine for one of the FLEX but not the other ones.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Jack,
    I used to have my supply set at 13.8 and it worked fine for years.  But I recently adjusted it up a little.  Here are the details:

• Astron RS-35M and adjusted the voltage up to 14.4 Volts at the supply terminals which reads about 14.3 at the radio powerpoles. 
    • Using K9DUR SDR-Monitor it reads 14.0V on RX and 13.7 on TX.  
    Works fine and well within the specs...

Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 & SSDR-W  V 2.4.9
    Win10

• Jack Lewis
    Jack Lewis Member
    edited January 2019
    Al, thanks for the information. That is a different error code. The error codes I get occur individually, in other words I boot the radio and get PSH1V0A-1.2.3 and the radio gets stuck in auto shutdown. If I turn it off and reboot I get PSL1V0A-0.05. Repeating the boot sequence a third time I get PSL1V0A-0.0.1 Different codes each shutdown/boot cycle. I sure wish there was a place listed that had the error codes so I could troubleshoot.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Did you do a factory rest? I wonder if Flex will tell you what those codes mean over the help desk?
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Jack,
    It would be nice but I have not seen a lot of error code details published.  (and not a lot of DIY type help either since the schematics are not public, etc).   I posted about a few of the errors for other voltage issue and the fan issues on my web page, but it is hit or miss and not inclusive. 

By the way when you had the radio open did you also check the fuse on the bottom?  

Since the errors are on the 1 Volt rail they are probably affected by the fuse on the bottom rather than the 30A fuse on top.  Even a dirty fuse can cause problems...

Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 & SSDR-W  V 2.4.9
    Win10

• Jack Lewis
    Jack Lewis Member
    edited January 2019

Al, yes I did check the fuse on the bottom. I pulled it and made sure the contacts were clean. I didn't check either fuse for continuity either.
  • Jack Lewis
    Jack Lewis Member
    edited January 2019

So I performed the power/factory reset sequence. Got a new error code PSL1V0A-0.06.

At this point I'm about to give up.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Yes, for those of us that are used to working on our rigs and making repairs this is not how it goes with the Flex and no schematics or limited DIY support.  We have figured out a few repairs but generally it sounds like a help desk ticket is needed.

It will be interesting to hear if you learn what was the issue and what was the repair...for future reference.  

Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 & SSDR-W  V 2.4.9
    Win10

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Sounds like an internal voltage control component. I was working through a problem shortly after getting my 6500. they had me do a diagnostic test by pressing the left and right arrows in a combo that displayed all the voltage points in the radio on the screen. I wrote them down,,lets see if I can locate them.
  • Jack Lewis
    Jack Lewis Member
    edited January 2019

Very true. Any other radio I've ever purchased or worked on usually includes a schematic in the owners manual or help is avaiable. When it shuts down it says:

PSL13V88-00.01 Check Fuse

Checked both fuses, both good. Cleaned the tangs and the sockets, used a little deox on a q-tip. Still get the same code on shutdown. I also think it's a problem somewhere in the voltage regulation circuit. This would not be the first one we have had do this. The other one is kaput as well.

Bill if you can find that self-test procedure to show the voltage point that would be helpful.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I had it in a little book, can't find it,,,it was like 2 right 3 left 1 right  something like that

• Jack Lewis
    Jack Lewis Member
    edited January 2019

THanks. I can try some different combinations using that information. What can it possibly hurt since it doesn't work as it is.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    found it, 3 left 1 right  press ok

only way to get out of this mode is to remove power and re start.

I think my readings were

63  125  25  500  1k   4
    6      4      2    3    -2    4

They were found to be normal range

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.