Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FlexLogger Emerges

Mark_WS7M
Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in Third-Party Software
Hi All,

A while back I showed my quickly spun logging program and found a fair number of you had some interest.  So... being the idiot I am I decided what I had was far from ready for others to use and I basically rewrote it from scratch.

The new program is currently called FlexLogger.  It currently has a fair number of cool features and the list will continue to grow:
  • Interfaces with your flex, provides a number of in logger flex controls
  • Fast database logging
  • Integrated spots with user configurable spot sources
  • Spots interact with your logger and any online looks you have enabled
  • Monitoring and automatic logging of WSJT-X QSOs
  • SPE serial amp monitoring and control
  • Scripting, assignment of scripts to quick buttons
  • Call lookup via QRZ or HamQTH
  • Qso posting to HRDLOG.NET  (club log coming)
  • CWX macros including speed changes and send of variables
And much more to come!  I have a really big list of future features.

It is in a very early state right now and there are bound to be some issues but I am dedicated to fixing what I can find and making this a really good little logging program.

If you would like to give it a try the installer can be downloaded from here:

http://184.154.226.168/flinstallers/FlexLoggerSetup-0.0.7.0.exe

There are a few things you need to do once it is installed before it is ready to use:
  • Click the gear icon, top left, to enter program configuration.  In here enter any online lookup services you use like QRZ or HamQTH.  There are also some preferences and if you have an SPE and wish to control it over RS-232 you can enable that here as well.
  • Next icon over you must create a station.  The next icon over allows you to define and save a station definition.  This includes things like call, location, grid, etc.
  • Next icon over will let you define an operator.  You can have multiple operators if you are lucky to have multiple hams in the house.
  • Next icon over will let you create a radio definition.  Currently Smartlink connect is not working but you can define details or IP addresses for where your radio is.
  • Next icon over will let you create a database.  FlexLogger will remember and use the last database you open but you can have as many databases as you wish.  For example if you are working a contest you might start a new contest only database.  Totally up to you.
Once you have done these steps you should be able to connect to your radio and the data shown in the slice panels should follow changes to your radio.

At this point you can poke around and look at things.  If you want to import your data from another logging program just export that data to an ADI file then use the log management tab to import the data into your FlexLogger database.

Once you have this version installed, future updates are handled by an in program updater that can download and update your copy to the latest version.

Operationally if you manually enter a call sign into the call field in the log, use the tab key to trigger lookups.   The esc key will clear log entries.

Again, this is very early.  there are some things that will change.  But let me know what you think.

Comments

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Congrats, Mark!
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Mark,
    It looks very good. I hope to get by radio back from service very soon and really would like to try it. 
    One thing for the wishlist - do you have a Map in the Menus?
    I am using LogHX that gives several options for the Maps, provide visual path to the station that I click on cluster, Lat, Lon, Dist and Azimuth.
    Here is an example:

Does your Log have an option to see the active Slice?
    Thanks
    Sergey, KN7K
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Mark 

Interesting!
    Will there be a color theming feature for those of us that find MultiPSK style nauseating?  
    Just kidding, sorta, or maybe not.  

#FlexRadio IRC chat

For real-time discussions

SDRgadgets

User-created documentation.
               Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

• Oxford English
    Oxford English Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I have the Flexlogger software and what Mark has achieved in the last few weeks is amazing.

I am sure that this is going to be a heavyweight amongst logging programs. 

Tim
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    Loving this new program.
    I am not familiar with scripts though . . . Is there an easier way to program a "macro" button to start a program.
  • Wolf
    Wolf Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Mark, Congratulations - Impressive !

As an enthusiastic EME operator . . . do you see a chance to implement an interface  for WSJT (not only WSJT-X) ?  That would make a difference for me.

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hi Sergey,

No map yet.  But I have something like that on the list.

Currently, in this early form, there are slice panels for two slices, A and B.  Once I feel the slice panels work well and require minimal changes I will replicate them for slices out to H (6700 owners).  The slice panels take a little work to hook up so I don't want to do all 8 then find I have to make big changes to all 8.

The slice panels show and allow you to control virtually all parameters about a slice even the filter:

All of these controls are active including the filter box at the bottom.  You can quickly drag that lighter colored box around to change your filter center or edges.

The labels "Slice A" being yellow with a black background indicates this is the active slice much like the Yellow line on the SSDR.  The TX label, white over red indicates this is the TX slice.

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Jay,

Right click on any panel to change the background color.  That color is remembered.  You can quickly set them all to standard background.  Obviously, there are some combinations that are sort of ****:  Black background gives you a window where you can see nothing.  LOL  I don't have any foreground color set ability because there are many Windows controls that simply do not allow the color to be set.  They kind of ignore it.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Thanks Tim!  Get out in the cold and fix your antenna!!!
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Steve,

Right now no... But... This gives me an idea... 

It would not take much to add a new menu item "Start program..." which brought up a file open dialog.  You would navigate to the program then select it.  Once selected the code could generate a script automatically for you that starts that program.

I'll put it on the list!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2019
    That would be AWESOME
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Wolf,

Can you email me some specifics about what interfacing with WSJT would make it useful?  I have never run WSJT for EME or anything similar.

I will download WSJT and take a look at it but please send me an email on what specifically would make it work well.   ws7m@arrl.net

Mark
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Mark 
    Great, I won't need the bucket next to the shack desk then, so I can safely dig in and try out FlexLogger with no worries about nasty spills. I just thought it might be easier to ask for control of certain aspects of the GUI, sooner/now, as opposed to later, when changes might mean breaking important functionality, sounds like you knew that might come up. 

#FlexRadio IRC chat

For real-time discussions

SDRgadgets

User-created documentation.
               Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I love this, Software development in Real Time directly with the users!
    Great job Mark!
  • Tom Teague
    Tom Teague Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I just imported my log and love what you have done here.  Looking forward to using it more.  Thank you for all your hard work.
  • N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Mark: Congrats your doing a great job!

If you need more hosting I'd be glad to post a download on my site or place a link to the file, just let me know. 
  • Ernest
    Ernest Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Mark,
    There are many of us that are into IOTA awards from the RSGB. 
    Can you include the grid of the stationed worked and the relevance of that grid related to the island:
    Keeping it somewhere near the country or State columns.
    Ham Radio Deluxe does an excellent job in that area.
    73, from IOTA: NA-138 Amelia (island, FL)
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    wow is this easy except...I exported my HRD log as an ADI. Imported it to Flexlog, import prompt said it imported all my log, but, I can't get the imported log to display on the Flexlog screen.
  • Mike RA3FY
    Mike RA3FY Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Hi Mark!
    Thank you for the your great job.
    basically, everything works fine,
    but the Lat, Lot, Distance, Bearing windows are remain empty.
    Did I do something wrong ...

• Gene Duprey
    Gene Duprey Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Now if it only could run on a Mac.
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    thanks John!
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Thanks Tom!
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hi Ernest,

I have plans to add award tracking.   This should not be difficult.  I will need to understand it a little better.

Would you be willing to email me a description/overview of what it does and I will in the meantime take a closer look at HRD.

Mark   ws7m@arrl.net
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hi Craig

Be glad to help you out.   

First, in 0.0.7.0 the import changed in such a way that when you run the import it brings the ADI data in into a temporary memory based file.  The plan was for you to visually review it then commit it.

I notice that the window in 0.0.7.0 is a little messed up and perhaps it was not clear.  But did you press the button to "Commit to database"?

If not, please try your import again but finish by pressing the commit button.  I will push an update later tonight that fixes the screen draw issue.

Also on the main tab "Log & Control" there is a refresh button near the log.  Try pressing that.

If you did press the commit button and refresh  it still does not show up for you.

1) Send me your most recent few logs from C:WS7MAppsFlexLoggerLogs
    2) Also send me your database.
    3) Send me your ADI file you are importing from.  

I will dig in and figure out what is going on!

mark - ws7m@arrl.net
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hi Mike,

First, do you have your own lat/lon setup in your station definition:

Next for automatic look ups you have to enable QRZ or Ham QTH in program config.  You need to put in your login and password:

Assuming you've done all that then we need to look into if the online request is simply timing out.

If you have everything filled out you should be able to type in a call sign and hit the tab key and the lookup should occur.  If the lookup is successful you will get lat/lon and other station data on the callsign.

If you have data in the dialog and you want to lookup another station you must first hit Clear.  The lookups will not overwrite existing data.

If you are not getting that then it could be a network issue.

I will being making a few bug fixes tonight and will push an update.  In this next update I will add some logging and timing controls to the lookups and we will try to figure out what is going on.
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    ya that would be nice!!!  

• N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Mark I was getting ready to suggest  that might be the problem, I imported almost 3000 Q's with no issues let it sort out its thing then,  when done press commit to database and all done.  
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Rick, I bet it is.  The form is messed up in V0.0.7.0 and I suspect it was that the commit was not showing.  

I'm gonna push an update tonight that fixes the screen.
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    No "commit to database" button on my menu. Will wait for your update and try again.
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hi Craig,

Update is done.  Run flex logger, under help menu, check for updates.  

Let me know if you can see the commit button after that!

Mark

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.