Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Who wants KE9NS PowerSDR Features in SmartSDR 2.0

James Skala
James Skala Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Who wants KE9NS PowerSDR Features in SmartSDR 2.0

Answers

• James Kennedy-WU5E
    James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Some of the feature I have heard other hams talk about like DX cluster ( click and shoot) or if the bands are green and no radiations storms.
  • James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited November 2019
    Sort of like plugins, I like your idea Ria
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    The question comes maybe 2 - 3 years  to late.

V 2.0 is ready and in final test.

So you can ask for V3 oder V4 :-)

73 Chris

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    That's exactly what I'm thinking, like how the web browsers have extensions. 
  • John Molenda
    John Molenda Member
    edited June 2017
    I am in , for me it is time for a different look .  John kb2huk
  • K4MT
    K4MT Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    KE9NS has done wonderful things to PowerSDR. I had a 5000A and sold it and went to 6000 series and instantly missed the KE9NS features. Sold the 6000 and went back to 5000A so that I could have the comfiguration options that PowerSDR has and are missing in SmartSDR.
  • VE2XK .
    VE2XK . Member
    edited March 2019
    Darrin doing a so great work and job on PSDR and add some great features i was not even able to dream to have before in the time Flex have play with it .
    That's why i keep my Flex 5000A .
  • Marcelo Perricone
    edited May 2018
    hola, compre un Flex 6300, con la esperanza de poder tener todas las opciones de PowerSDR,  lamentablemente, me encontre con SmartSDR,  gran decilusion,  voy a vender mi Flex. una Pena
  • Hojon Lee     W1JAC
    edited March 2019
    I agree 100% ,that's why I'm pondering a switch to ANAN 7000 ,the spoon feeding of upgrades is a real disappointment!  It's amazing how one man can out perform FLEX.Just sent him a donation via PayPal because I appreciate his work for Open Source!  W1JAC
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Everyone who has used both. Flex seems to be depending on third parties to expand features through the API which I guess is OK as long as Flex keeps improving the firmware. I am still waiting for noise reduction that works as good as my IC-7600 did. Bet that's the oldest request in the Community.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    At the same time I love many of the features SSDR has that PSDR does not have and can't have.
    Like the great control panel with adjustments on it we all use a lot without digging through menues. A cleaner display. HD screen. AGC-T,, Pop out screens,, Dax,,, Wonderful remote with smart link. And all the 3rd party programs that round out the system. 

Thin client... SSDR PROC, Normal, DX, DX+ amazing.

When they began writing SSDR 3rd party software was expected to be a big part of things.
  • NM1W
    NM1W Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    right next to working dax....:)
  • W1MSG
    W1MSG Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I would like to have the ability to save recorded audio. That is the missing option that is most missed !

• Oxford English
    Oxford English Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    But you can do that with 3rd party programs, e.g. Audacity which is free and works extremely well with my 6300.

Tim
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I also use Audacity and can only recommend it: https://www.audacityteam.org/
    Mery Christmas and vy 73, Alex - DH2ID
  • Phill Beistel
    Phill Beistel Member
    edited December 2018
    Audacity is the answer... I use it on a completely different computer from the one running SSDR.  Save to disk and convert to .mp3 are all easily possible (and free). The DAX is the vehicle and your local internet is the carrier.  Very FLEXable!
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Hi Craig / W1MSG,
    The idea to enhance the existing recording feature to add both a looping feature and save the recorded audio was suggested 5 years ago.  It has 27 votes and is pretty high on the user requested list.   The current recording feature is one of the ones that is 90% there but probably not used much as is.   An the button is already there on the slice.  

While there are third party tools (like Audacity) it would be nice to just have the existing feature do the whole job.  Otherwise why have the feature take up space at all.  It would be nice to just click the button instead of launching another program.  

Check it out and add a comment and vote if this would work for you too.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/black_box_recording_add_a_looping_option_to_the_rec...

Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 & SSDR-W  V 2.4.9
    Win10

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Is it safe to assume the SmartSDR API is extremely limited for developers?  I have wondered as the 3rd party offerings are much more limited than I had hoped.

Not a programmer so not something I have experience with.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Because of the storage needed to save audio files as large as they become, it would not be possible to save then in the radio. And because SSDR is a thin client it can not use a external computer hard drive.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi Bill,
    Agree but the idea suggests using the PC not the radio for the multiple file storage.  So you get the best of both.  Use the existing UI on the slice and pass the audio to the PC for storage.  Some advantages are:

• use the existing record buttons on the SLICE
    • add the black box looping feature ( a big plus when working a rare DXpedition)
    • pass the audio over to the PC for storage instead of storing on the radio (as it does today).   In this case it would free up storage current allocated on the radio 
    • or store on the radio as today and only pass a copy of the file from the radio to the PC on demand.  Can still limit the radio storage to one file as today. 
    By the way, I don't see any reason why SSDR can't access the local PC drives.  Are you sure it can't?  Why?

Here is one of the posts from the idea that makes note of the PC storage option.

Idea link for reference: 

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/black_box_recording_add_a_looping_option_to_the_rec...

Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 & SSDR-W  V 2.4.9
    Win10

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I may never find this,,but I believe Steve talked on this some time ago and explained this. Again I may be wrong, I will look around.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I have no doubt its possible to write to the PC. Whether their design allows for it is another thing.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    One thing I wish for is a auto ID feature that will ID every 30 minutes or every 10 minutes.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hi Rich, My thought also. SSDR is just a Windows application with the same capabilities as any other application. The audio recording design today utilizes the audio storage on the radio so agree that using the audio stream and storing it on the PC or transferring the exiting file stored on the radio is a design change. But making design changes is possible...... FWIW, this idea has been on the list for 5 years . But like many of the other popular ideas that have been on the list for a long time , I’m not as optomistic these days that it will happen, but it never hurts to hope. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • James Whiteway
    edited December 2018
    Rich, as a "wanna be developer" I think I can give you a partial answer to your question. The API is limited in a way that a developer cannot do much of anything beyond writing their own interface/program, to access the radio. Nothing internal to the radio (firmware) can be altered via the API. (which is a good thing)
    Features that SSDR currently does not have at all, that do not require direct access to SSDR itself, can be added. Until recently, Spots was on that list and there were third party apps that did add that feature. But, for me, it was difficult as it required a lot of hoops to jump thru to track each panadapter and add the spots in the correct places.
    (remember the "wanna be" part :-) )
      As you probably know, there are several apps out that do fill in wanted/needed features that SSDR currently does not have. Some such as an "ALL MODE" squelch that is in FRstack, could or should, make it into SSDR itself someday. But, for the mean time, it works.
       And if someone simply does not like the SSDR interface, a third party can easily use the API to develop their own, unique interface. Then there are others like me that just enjoy the challenge of creating their own app and playing radio. What I have done would never work as a daily driver for the radio. But, it definitely a learning experience.
    James
    WD5GWY

• W1MSG
    W1MSG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I am aware of Audacity and have used it. However It doesnt sound nearly as good as the internal recordings. I have done A - B Comparisons with a recording saved on the radio and the same recording on Audacity. The one on the radio wins every time. I have tried all kinds of settings to get the same quality as the internal recorder but it just doesnt sound as good ! 

Thanks
    Craig
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Thanks James. Makes sense and I understand why Flex would want to lock it down so the base SSDR program does not become a wreck. No one wants that. 

Just would be nice if they would allow more plugin functionality like panels you can turn on for 3rd party hardware (HF-AUTO, Telepost,etc) similar to what they do for the PGXL.  Maybe even visual themes. You know serious DXing stuff. LOL

Course the next problem is hams think that all this stuff should be free and its hard to get professional 3rd party applications developed when that is the case.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    You can use DAX connected to audio recording software (e.g. Audacity) on the PC today.  We often record and play back on PC based audio spectrum analyzers for diagnostics.

If you are a developer, there is a full waveform API with example code for CODEC2.  The 6700s on the International Space Station use this API. 

Al, we only have a few thousand ideas/requests on the list, including several of mine.  Hey, it's just software...  ;>)  

Gerald

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.